PDA

View Full Version : Ordering discus online

cc_woman
04-18-2009, 10:11 PM
We have been wanting to do a group order in our area, and I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with ordering discus from sunrise tropicals http://www.sunrisetropicals.com/index.html. Their discus look stunning, and since we are having a hard time deciding on what supplier to go through (since they all seem to have downsides) I have never heard of these guys until now and would like anyones input on them. Thanks :)

Graham
04-18-2009, 10:20 PM
Can they or will they ship to Canada, this can be a major pain and expense... will they send pics of the fish that you want to order...pretty pics on the net don't mean squat
G

cc_woman
04-18-2009, 10:25 PM
They stated in their website that they ship to US, Canada and Puerto Rico. I know that the pretty discus online mean squat, but when you live in Western Canada it sounds like other suppliers seem to not like us so much for some reason. One supplier failed to have good communication even though they are IN Canada. We just want to deal with someone who has good customer service and will at least try to send reasonable quality discus (especially when you are paying that kind of money) If I want crap quality I would walk into any LFS and buy one for under $50.

seanyuki
04-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Check with April Ross(Simply Discus Sponsor) & she is Kenny Cheung's (Simply Discus sponsor)reseller in Canada......all my discus are from Kenny/April...lol...

Shipping available via DHL to major city centers across Canada.
Within BC: Harbour Air, Pacific Coastal, Hawke Air to northern BC., Tofino Air

We also carry ornamental and tropical fish supplies.

April Ross

email:dalmiscus@hotmail.com

Discus Vancouver
5589 Dunbar Street,
Vancouver, B.C.,
V6N 1W5
604-261-5310
Tuesday thru Saturday 9-5.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Francis:)

Graham
04-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Before you go ahead with an American order..check out the Canadian sponsors here on SD. April is in BC and Bob is in Ont and both have excellent fish from recognized suppliers

The US shippers have USF&WL export premits, Airline known shipper bs etc to go through

it's not easy to bring fish up from the States

cc_woman
04-18-2009, 10:53 PM
I have already been in contact with April, I got my last 2 discus from her. But since she is moving her store in a couple weeks she isn't getting much of anything in right now. Bob didn't get back to us when we wanted to get a price list and info from him, not very good customer service and we have heard from other people living in western Canada negative feedback on him. Originally we wanted to go with uppercanada, but from more negatives than positives sofar we wanted to either try Hans, or I found this website. I have ordered other fish from US suppliers before, if they have the permits to ship here then why is it more difficult?

hedut
04-18-2009, 10:59 PM
Or may be you can check with Alex Han our sponsor, he has nice fish too:D:D

Graham
04-19-2009, 09:11 AM
I have already been in contact with April, I got my last 2 discus from her. But since she is moving her store in a couple weeks she isn't getting much of anything in right now. Bob didn't get back to us when we wanted to get a price list and info from him, not very good customer service and we have heard from other people living in western Canada negative feedback on him. Originally we wanted to go with uppercanada, but from more negatives than positives sofar we wanted to either try Hans, or I found this website. I have ordered other fish from US suppliers before, if they have the permits to ship here then why is it more difficult?

It's not more difficult as long as the shipper is willing to go through getting the export permits from USF&WL and you're willing to pay for them. And as long as he's a known shipper with an airline.........................

poconogal
04-19-2009, 09:20 AM
I've ordered from Tony at Sunrise Tropicals several times. He will send you photos of the fish you are interested in. My two latest purchases from him are actually still in QT.

Upper Canada
04-19-2009, 12:09 PM

Hello CC-Woman,

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak to you so that I may understand what has transpired that would lead you to make these comments, and what it is I should have done that I neglected to do.

The last stocklist I issued as on January 27th, and it represented the fish from the December and January shipments. It was sent the same day to everyone I had communicated with that had requested one.

I have not issued a new stocklist representing the March 24th shipment, although it is my intent to do so as soon as I have the time available to post the pictures and put it together.

So I ask that you please call me at 705 728 1552 collect, or email me at logsdogs@sympatico.ca or bob@uppercanadadiscus.com and give me your name and number and I will call you right away.

Thank you,

Bob Garside

MRQuad
04-19-2009, 01:24 PM
i haven't ordered anything yet from Uppercanada.. but bob been there to answer all of my questions.. and are welling to answers the questions if i have some as soon as possible..

he is one of the best sponsor here in SD..

seanyuki
04-19-2009, 01:44 PM
I have spoken to Bob a few times ....very friendly and helpful person.

Cheers

brewmaster15
04-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Hello CC-Woman,

I would appreciate the opportunity to speak to you so that I may understand what has transpired that would lead you to make these comments, and what it is I should have done that I neglected to do.

The last stocklist I issued as on January 27th, and it represented the fish from the December and January shipments. It was sent the same day to everyone I had communicated with that had requested one.

I have not issued a new stocklist representing the March 24th shipment, although it is my intent to do so as soon as I have the time available to post the pictures and put it together.

So I ask that you please call me at 705 728 1552 collect, or email me at logsdogs@sympatico.ca or bob@uppercanadadiscus.com and give me your name and number and I will call you right away.

Thank you,

Bob Garside
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :thumbsup::thumbsup: Thats a great idea!! and great way to handle something like this.

-al

wgtaylor
04-19-2009, 02:34 PM
http://www.sunrisetropicals.com/index.html. Their discus look stunning. I have never heard of these guys until now and would like anyones input on them. Thanks :)
cc_woman, Tony, the owner of Sunrise Tropicals, is about as honest person as you can find. I have ordered from him a few times. He even went out of his way on a Sunday answering e-mails. I'm sure the dealers in Canada could be just as good to work with but if you have found the fish you really want and can work out the shipping with Tony then go for it. I don't believe Tony will dissappoint you. He will post the tank of fish you are ordering on-line for you to see. Don't forget to check on Simply Discus about dealers http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=65559 . I get fish that come all the way from Brazil so don't hesitate ordering from out of town if that is what it takes to get what you have been looking for. jmo, Bill

April
04-19-2009, 04:17 PM
i am getting more fish from kenny in a couple weeks also. im willing to do another group order..but youd have to look at kennys list now and put in your orders before they are gone. hes most likely half sold out already even with the previews.
sunrise does fedex. not sure how it goes to calgary though..as long as it can be cleared customs in calgary. that youd have to check..as if theres a holdup..and it gets cleared in vancouver..then it still misses the next shipment to calgary for that day..so another day after it clears. two days.if it can go straight from california to calgary .clear customs and deliver or pickup your fine. also anything over 1600 cad...then you need a broker to clear as fedex wont clear. that costs..and you need to get one organized quickly.

Al M.
04-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Mike Beals-CO Discus

Also ships to Canada I have ordered a few times from him, very nice fish, worth checking out before you order. also recieved fish from Tony @ Sunrise nice fish too..

ashaysathe
04-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Bob didn't get back to us when we wanted to get a price list and info from him, not very good customer service and we have heard from other people living in western Canada negative feedback on him. Originally we wanted to go with uppercanada, but from more negatives than positives sofar we wanted to either try Hans, or I found this website. I have ordered other fish from US suppliers before, if they have the permits to ship here then why is it more difficult?

Wow.. I have talked with Bob many times before and it has been a very very friendly conversation. Eventhough Bob knew I was not buying anything from him he has been very very friendly and we talked lot more than fish.
I am amazed why someone would leave such a feedback for a friendly person like Bob.
No discredit meant to any of our fellow sponsors you mention, but this note is to share my ongoing experience with Bob - that if you are in Canada then Bob is someone who you should trust and always expect to get super grade fish from. I am sure beyond a doubt that you will be more than happy. Just talk to the person on the phone and you will know.

cc_woman
04-20-2009, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the replies, and I didn't mean to say anything bad about any sponsors. Just a little discouraged because it was a friend of mine that was trying to arrange all of this and not getting the responses we wanted, and just going by what we heard from other people on other forums out west here. I am sure you all have been in similar situations and want to try and find discus that are worth what you pay for. We are just seeking out our options.

Upper Canada
04-20-2009, 11:39 PM
I have not had any response from anyone regarding this issue, could you ask you friend to contact me?

Also, could you email me the links to the forums in question so that I can follow up there?

Bob

gw
04-21-2009, 06:53 PM
I'm happened onto this post and am amazed, and insulted as a discus breeder/keeper for over 30 years that someone would cast dispersions on someone [Upper Canada] and then go on to say it wasn't even the person posting but a "friend" and that some things were said on forums, etc... AND then, even when posting these generalities, have Upper Canada immediately respond, provide for a collect phone call, and then someone [the "friend"] not have the courtesy to be up front about whatever supposedly did or didn't occur and contact Upper Canada. I think this says a great deal about the boorish behavior of the poster and/or "friend" and the subsequent professionalism displayed by Bob Garside of Upper Canada Discus. C'mon people---treat other people as you would want them to treat you. If Upper Canada really didn't follow through on communication, etc., although I am beginning to seriously doubt that just from the ambiguity of the person/"friend" posts, deal with it person to person and stop spreading erroneous or false information about anyone. The hobby deserves much better than this!

DLock3d
04-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill. It seems like she was misinformed and Upper Canada is doing a great job of clarifying the misunderstanding. Yay for our sponsors!

ashaysathe
04-22-2009, 09:35 AM
... and just going by what we heard from other people on other forums out west here

Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill. It seems like she was misinformed and Upper Canada is doing a great job of clarifying the misunderstanding. Yay for our sponsors!

I truely stand by each and every sponsor on the forum here. In a public asyncronous medium of communication one should be mindful of the inferences that can get drawn from the comments made.
Bob is a great guy and I am proving that by means of this writing and supporting the resolution.

poconogal
04-22-2009, 11:38 AM
While I think its wonderful that people are free to post their great experiences about their dealings with sponsors, when they are GOOD experiences, I think the same allowance should be given to any person wanting to post about bad experiences with a sponsor. Not all of the sponsors on this forum are great, sorry. Let the buyer beware applies. My personal experience and that of several others I personally know have had bad experiences -- we received crappy quality discus for a lot of money or crappy service from certain sponsors -- 2 in particular. What I have noticed in the time I've been on this forum is that if the experience is bad, people do not post about it, they will PM each other. Why? Because they don't want to be pounced on and flamed by the fan club of the sponsor involved. The one person I know who did post about her crappy discus was pounced on and people tried to make her look foolish, even though she received fish that looked like culls from this sponsor and the pictures that were posted proved it. I don't think that's fair or just. The original poster's friend made the call for the GROUP ORDER they all wanted to place, so she had every right to post about the friend making the call, since she was part of the GROUP that wanted to place an order. To start passing judgment on her or her friend and make comments about their behaviour is rude and uncalled for. Just because other posters have had a good experience with that sponsor does not mean that the original poster and her friend had the same experience. Sure, you want to post your personal experience as being good, that's great, but let's not start putting others down because you don't like what they said. You may find it hard to believe, but that doesn't make it untrue. Take it with a grain of salt, if you must, but I'm a U.S. citizen, as I'm sure most of you are, and we still have freedom of speech in this country.

seanyuki
04-22-2009, 12:06 PM
I also buy my discus online......of course online with Kenny Cheung....PM here PM there save money on long distance calls.....I love this forum free communications.

Cheers

Upper Canada
04-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Hello Poconogal,

I agree completely with the majority of what you say. I believe that people who have been poorly served by a sponsor should certainly state their case publicly if it cannot be resolved to their satisfaction privately, as it could be a missunderstanding, but if a sponsor has dropped the ball they should certainly be called to task on it. This is the way to keep the sponsors in line and protect subsequent buyers from a similar fate. However I agree with you that some or many may well be intimidated to do so.

First, lets be clear, I am not one of the 2 sponsors you referenced in your post.

Second, I am not the sponsor involved with the woman referenced as well in this statement. "The one person I know who did post about her crappy discus was pounced on and people tried to make her look foolish, even though she received fish that looked like culls from this sponsor and the pictures that were posted proved it. "

Thirdly, "My personal experience and that of several others I personally know have had bad experiences -- we received crappy quality discus for a lot of money or crappy service from certain sponsors -- 2 in particular.

I certainly hope that you made this public on the forum, in fact I should very much like to read it, could you please direct me to the appropriate thread?

In fact I have had no dealings with you at all.

Furthermore, please put yourself in my boots for a moment and see this from my perspective. I began selling discus in 2000, and since I was fortunate to retire in 96 at a relatively early age I do not do this to make money. I have worked very hard to make sure that the hobbyists I have dealt with are happy, and I believe this is the first negative comment I have against this record. Despite my thick skin this does bother me. Now I have scoured my email log and I do not believe I have been remiss in my corespondence. I did drop the ball with one man in not replying however I publically apologized to him in my thread in my sponsorship section. There are people currently awaiting a new stocklist however all have been advised that it will be forthcomming.

I received a PM from CC_Woman yesterday for which I am thankful, and in it she states the two reasons behind her post.

1/ That it was a man who had emailed me and I did not respond.

2/ That there was someone on a western forum who says I had sent him culls, however she cannot remember his name or the forum.

Now the email is possible for sure, it could have been trapped in the MSN spam filter if it came via my website as some do and I try to check there every 2 or 3 days but it could have slipped by me with the spam, that is possible and I take responsibility for that, but why would I knowingly not respond to person organizing a group order?

As to point #2 I am unaware of this, and so I again ask that individual to please contact me so that I may make restitution immediately.

If someone from western Canada such as April or Sean can direct me to that post on a western forum I would appreciate it so I may follow up directly. That is a sponsor's responsibility.

Bob Garside

crash
04-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Hello Poconogal,

I began selling discus in 2000, and since I was fortunate to retire in 96 at a relatively early age I do not do this to make money. I have worked very hard to make sure that the hobbyists I have dealt with are happy, and I believe this is the first negative comment I have against this record.

I completely agree with Bob here, I have dealt with Bob over the past couple of years, I have only bought 5 discus from him till date. Most of our conversations have been him providing me valuable advice about keeping discus. He is definitely not in this for the money. It shows from the time he takes for to explain things even when he knew I won’t be buying the fish.

Email isnt the most effective way of communication a lot can be lost. Most of the time, all your emails are delivered in a few minute(s) but they can be delayed due to network congestion or any other technical issue. For any urgent matter, use your regular phone or your favorite homing pigeon ;-)

I do however agree with Connie that this forum should be an open space for anyone to leave a negative feedback. If the negative feedback is left do then lets not pounce on that person. Most of the time, people that have had a great experience with the sponsor will come to the rescue of the sponsor who got a negative feedback. After all we are all humans and we all make mistakes.

cc_woman,
I do think you should give Bob a chance, I am 110% certain that bob will not dissapoint you. He is a great guy to deal and I am sure you will come back to the forum again and leave him a positive comment. You will find him to be a very genuine individual.

Thank you,
Amol

DLock3d
04-22-2009, 03:36 PM
What is this freedom of speech you talk about Connie?

Take it with a grain of salt, if you must, but I'm a U.S. citizen, as I'm sure most of you are, and we still have freedom of speech in this country.

brewmaster15
04-22-2009, 03:38 PM
Everyone,

I think this thread is getting out of Hand. A member posted some comments that did not look favorably on a sponsor... The sponsor in question addressed her very professionally and in my opinion with great tact and class...(Thank you BoB Garside!). They communicated off the forum. Period...It needs not be a soap opera... and I see no reason why this turned into a referendum on sponsors in general.

One thing here that bother me here is The heresay and Generalizations. What triggered all this was unsubstantiated claims in the first place.. and second hand information...technically thats slander and no one has the right to ruin someones reputation with talk like that...I am sorry...but that is not free speech..

Since we have taken this thread down the sponsor road though......

Its true that members here do take offense when they feel a sponsor is slandered or treated unfairly...thats because many have had great experiences with them and they feel that sponsor has shown that they care and do try... That doesn't mean sponsors don't make mistakes though.. They do and they have...Selling fish and dealing with Discus hobbyists isn't half as easy as some members might think it is!!:o But if you run the statistics it doesn't take a bright spark to see theres far more happy customers than unhappy with our sponsors. Buying from a sponsor here isn't a guarantee.. but its a heck of lot less risky than obtaining your discus elsewhere.

When a problems does occur, ... if no one leaves negative feedback for the seller in the livestock review section or by I-trader.. That event may as well never happened. Thats something that only the buyer has control over though.If someone has concerns over their transactions with a sponsor.. I do need to know. I have removed sponsors with a track record of issues.. and I do keep tabs on these things..... But these events need to be made public.

Connie, If you have had a Bad PERSONAL EXPERIENCES with a sponsor here, Please let me know. That goes for anyone else. But Do not go off on sponsors in general though.. Generalizations like that really do no one any good and this boards sellers are some of the best out there, IME!

Sometimes I think People forget what buying discus was like before SimplyDiscus had Sponsors.Either that or they are new to discus...You may not believe this...but things have gotten soOOOOOO much better as far as quality and buying experience in the last few years... and yes...Our sponsors play a big role in that, I am proud to say.

Thanks,
al

ps..This is thread is closed.