PDA

View Full Version : Lost one today...

Jhhnn
04-19-2009, 02:49 PM
As I wrote earlier, the fish were exceptionally frisky and beautiful during the water change friday night, right after a big dinner of bloodworms and brine shrimp.

Saturday morning, my largest was dark (not black) and hiding, bloated. So I worked all day getting a hospital tank together- stand, clean the 29gal tank that's been in the basement for over a decade, set the heater, moved a sponge filter, add half a tank of main tank water, top it off w/ prime conditioned water from the aging barrel, move the fish, add epsom salts as directed here... His/her equilibrium was not good, and still bloated, dark...

This morning, he/she was dead...

Having kept fish off and on for over 30 years, I have to say I've never had anything prove quite so lethal in such a short period of time, certainly not anything that left the other 8 fish seemingly completely unaffected... The nitrite and nitrate levels are a little elevated, but not damgerously so, and I added a little extra prime to compensate...

The other 8 fish fasted yesterday, and I finally figured out where to get the ingredients for basshead's seafood mix (from the asian market ~1/2 mile away... Duh!) so their diet will be more varied...

Any comments or advice?

Thanks.

thebigone
04-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Sorry that you lost a fish. Eddie's seafood mix is great. My fish kill it.

ShinShin
04-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Only that any nitrite level is bad.

Mat

Eddie
04-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Wow, sorry to hear about that. As Mat stated, nitrites will kill fast.

Eddie

Jhhnn
04-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Wow, sorry to hear about that. As Mat stated, nitrites will kill fast.

Eddie

I recognize that nitrites are killers- no argument. I've been dealing with the whole new tank bit, and it's not like the levels are very high, at all...

But that doesn't explain all the other fish being just fine- they're all blue scorps from a single purchase- probably siblings...

Unless nitrites and epsom salts are a killer combination... dunno. The poor thing never did poop- the hospital tank was spotless when I found the patient dead...

namrfigk
04-19-2009, 09:01 PM
most probably succumbed to internal parasites