PDA

View Full Version : removing fish waste between WC's

drew22to375
04-19-2009, 09:02 PM
What does everyone use to remove the fish waste from the tank between WC's. Any Ideas instead of getting out the WC buckets. Turkey Baster?

Thankx
Drew..

poconogal
04-19-2009, 11:07 PM
I use the Eheim Sludge remover, great for BB tanks. I've had it for about 1-1/2 years and I love it.

Disgirl
04-19-2009, 11:22 PM
I use 2 1/2' piece of rigid, clear plastic tube, 1/2" inside diameter, connected to a 5' piece of flex. tube the same size (plumbing dept at Lowe's). Just siphon off the bottom of the BB tank into a 4 gal. bucket, dump down the sink or put on potted plants and refill with the same bucket. Simple and takes just a few minutes. I start the siphon action the old fashioned way, by mouth. Plenty of time with the 5' length to not get water in my mouth!;):D
Barbara

Jhhnn
04-19-2009, 11:54 PM
What does everyone use to remove the fish waste from the tank between WC's. Any Ideas instead of getting out the WC buckets. Turkey Baster?

Thankx
Drew..

Dunno- I've been changing 50% of the water daily, using an aging barrel and pump...

You could probably use a siphon tube and a bucket to get the worst of it, let the water level go down between changes...

rickztahone
04-20-2009, 12:59 AM
i have a 30 foot vinyl hose that goes to my back yard and i siphon with that. when i do the smaller tank (30g) i just bring in the 20g barrel on rollers and empty the waste straight to there and dump it out in the backyard, no water wasted!

3DDiscus
04-20-2009, 09:59 PM
I am from the old school - I use a 1/2 in. round 3 ft. long hard tubing (about $2 from a fish store). Put my finger over the top end. Place the other end into the water where the poop are located. Let go of my finger and let physics take over (it will suck the poop into the tubing). Cover the top opening again and lift it filled with poop, and deposit in plant container, or whatever. ;)

drew22to375
04-21-2009, 01:52 PM
I am from the old school - I use a 1/2 in. round 3 ft. long hard tubing (about $2 from a fish store). Put my finger over the top end. Place the other end into the water where the poop are located. Let go of my finger and let physics take over (it will suck the poop into the tubing). Cover the top opening again and lift it filled with poop, and deposit in plant container, or whatever. ;)

Now that is what I was looking for. Cheap & easy. what more can you ask for.

Thankx

MostlyDiscus
04-21-2009, 01:59 PM
python. half inch pvc pipe 18 inches long on the end. in the sink and out. I can clean one tank in 10 seconds.

DavidH
04-21-2009, 02:17 PM
Dotto w/mostlydiscus

MSD
04-21-2009, 02:42 PM
python. half inch pvc pipe 18 inches long on the end. in the sink and out. I can clean one tank in 10 seconds.

You must mean 18' long not inches, unless your tank is in the sink.

Disgirl
04-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I think he means an 18" piece of rigid PVC connected to his flexible python hose. Rigid pipe goes into the tank and hose into the sink. That is what I do, more or less.
Barbara