PDA

View Full Version : Over Stocked?

Cooldadddyfunk286
04-21-2009, 02:15 PM
Hey my Simply friends:), quick question..

I currently have a 40 gal. breeder tank (about 48 gal. of water) with 5 discus. I would like to add 2 more 3.5 inch discus to this tank but Im worried it MAY be alittle over stocked. I have an Eheim 2217 canister, a bio-wheel power filter, and a sponge filter running on it. I also do daily 50% water changes. Im thinking because of the good filtration and daily WCs I should be able to pull it off, what do you guys think?? below is a pic of my tank w the 5 fish in it. seems like theres plenty of room to me. I do plan on getting another tank in the near future so if it does get crowded as they grow bigger I can transfer some. I really wanna place this order of 2 more but I dont want to drop an additional 3-5 hundred on setting up another tank just yet.

lemme get ur opinions guys! any imput is greatly appreciated!;)

thanks guys and gals!:D

-Jason-

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/tanklightsoff.jpg

Don Trinko
04-21-2009, 02:39 PM
IMO; Eventualy it will look very crowded when they all grow to 5" plus and like most ciclids they will fight some as they mateur. Any possible disease will also spread faster. This will be worse in a small tank rather than a big one.
If you do it it would be best if it was temporary but with enough WC the water cauld be kept clean enough. (IMO)
If you have done your homework you realize that some consider 100% wc a day "clean enough" yet others consider 20% a month OK. Don T.

Eddie
04-21-2009, 06:58 PM
You could do it but you need to stay on top of typical tank husbandry. I'd be doing 100% WCs daily anyways, without the addition of 2 more fish or with the 2 new ones. LOL

You gotta think about the environment. Depending on how long temporary is, you could slow the growth down a little bit in the younger ones. Just my opinion.

Eddie

Cooldadddyfunk286
04-21-2009, 09:29 PM
yeah I hear ya Eddie and Don, I suppose I will start a new tank. Do you guys think 2 fish will get along in another 40 gal breeder by themselves for alittle while?? I had only 2 fish in a tank previously and one totally owned the other...one ate everything, the other hid the whole time. I just hope that wont happen. maybe order 3 to start a new tank instead of 2? what do u guys think?

thanks,
-Jason-

Eddie
04-21-2009, 09:30 PM
yeah I hear ya Eddie and Don, I suppose I will start a new tank. Do you guys think 2 fish will get along in another 40 gal breeder by themselves for alittle while?? I had only 2 fish in a tank previously and one totally owned the other...one ate everything, the other hid the whole time. I just hope that wont happen. maybe order 3 to start a new tank instead of 2? what do u guys think?

thanks,
-Jason-

Or 4...LOL :D

One will be a bully.

Eddie

Cooldadddyfunk286
04-22-2009, 09:36 AM
EDDIE! do you see how expensive this is getting?!?!?! BUT thats ok, 4 it is ;):D
hopefully its not too late to special order a BD before forrest ships to kenny! we shall see. definatly the 2 albinos, an RGD (need my yellow and red fishies :D) and Im not sure what the 4th will be, I really want that blue diamond, but if not maybe a mercury, or a cobalt. I have to choose wisely. we shall see my friends!

-Jason-

Eddie
04-22-2009, 09:39 AM
EDDIE! do you see how expensive this is getting?!?!?! BUT thats ok, 4 it is ;):D
hopefully its not too late to special order a BD before forrest ships to kenny! we shall see. definatly the 2 albinos, an RGD (need my yellow and red fishies :D) and Im not sure what the 4th will be, I really want that blue diamond, but if not maybe a mercury, or a cobalt. I have to choose wisely. we shall see my friends!

-Jason-

LOL, thats funny Jason but believe me when I tell you I know how expensive it gets and I am not even close to an end. ;)

The Mercurys are very exsquisite fish, I'd take a few of them.

Best of luck with your selection,

Eddie

Mr Wild
04-22-2009, 09:51 AM
You can cut costs by buying second hand tanks, decent ones though no cracks or scratches I got a 4x2x2 off ebay recently for $299 AU with stand, looks in new condition - 10mm glass and an eheim cannister filter with it! HTH the pennies.

Eddie
04-22-2009, 09:56 AM
You can cut costs by buying second hand tanks, decent ones though no cracks or scratches I got a 4x2x2 off ebay recently for $299 AU with stand, looks in new condition - 10mm glass and an eheim cannister filter with it! HTH the pennies.

Oh Kath...I am right there with ya! My last 2 tanks were used and I got them for a steal! ;)

Eddie

Cooldadddyfunk286
04-22-2009, 10:02 AM
yeah, seems like a good idea to me, I'll check out C-list or somethin...hey Eddie, do you know the lineage of the mercury? looks almost like a pigeon version of a Blue D. but i have no idea :D I just wish I could find more pics of the mercury...I havnt seen alot of ppl ordering them. only shots iv seen have been kennys tank pics. but yes, definatly a beauty!

-Jason-

Eddie
04-22-2009, 10:05 AM
yeah, seems like a good idea to me, I'll check out C-list or somethin...hey Eddie, do you know the lineage of the mercury? looks almost like a pigeon version of a Blue D. but i have no idea :D I just wish I could find more pics of the mercury...I havnt seen alot of ppl ordering them. only shots iv seen have been kennys tank pics. but yes, definatly a beauty!

-Jason-

No clue Jason, they do kind of look like a pigeon BD. Not really pepper though...more of a sheen to their color. I'd like to see some adults.

Eddie

Mr Wild
04-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Yes much better to save on the furniture and spend on the fish! lololol

Eddie
04-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Yes much better to save on the furniture and spend on the fish! lololol

LOL......what furniture! Just kidding

Eddie

Cooldadddyfunk286
04-22-2009, 10:23 AM
haha, talk about getting BIT by the discus bug u guys LOL :D Eddie is witnessing it first hand!

Eddie, they def seem to have more of a greenish, silver, aqua green shine to them, I would love to see some adults also. something makes me feel like the only person thats going possibly be able to provide adult pics would be Forrest?

-Jason-

Eddie
04-22-2009, 10:38 AM
haha, talk about getting BIT by the discus bug u guys LOL :D Eddie is witnessing it first hand!

Eddie, they def seem to have more of a greenish, silver, aqua green shine to them, I would love to see some adults also. something makes me feel like the only person thats going possibly be able to provide adult pics would be Forrest?

-Jason-

Ask him....he may have some pictures for you. ;)

Eddie

alpine
04-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Jason, Do It...and
Beware of old used tanks , sometimes they crack and leak and there goes your fish investments !

Roberto.

Cooldadddyfunk286
04-22-2009, 12:23 PM
yeah I was thinkin that, thanks for the heads up, I'll PM forrest. Eddie - If I get some good pics Ill post them up here for you to see :)

-Jason-

Don Trinko
04-22-2009, 05:18 PM
In terms of the number of discus I have broken all the rules. I have 4 in a 40 and they get along as well as any. ( purchased from the same tank)I have 2 in a 29 that have never bred but get along fine.
Would I recomend this? NO, I have also had groups of 3 that did not get along.
I would not hesitate to try 4 but 2 would likely end up with problems unless they were a pair. Don T.