PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of these fish.

jaykne
04-22-2009, 05:00 AM
I am kind of new to discus, I use to breed African's so not new to fishkeeping. 1 thing I don't think I am really good at is grading a discus, can you guy's look at these pics and let me know what you think? Thanks, Larry.

Eddie
04-22-2009, 05:03 AM
Hey there, welcome.

They look okay to me, the third one has a bit of a large eye. Good water and food and they should turn out nice. How long have you had them?

Eddie

jaykne
04-22-2009, 05:21 AM
I have had them one month, they are about 4", ya thats what I was thinking the size of the eyes on some of them :(

jaykne
04-22-2009, 05:26 AM
Did you see the other one added the the rest of the fish?

Eddie
04-22-2009, 06:33 AM
Yup, I saw it and posted.

Tell me this, what size tank, how often do you change the water, how many times a day do you feed them and what foods?

I'll try to give you a little recipe for success. The fish look like they have the potential to develop more.

Eddie

jaykne
04-22-2009, 08:50 AM
Hi Eddie, thanks for the response, I have a 55, I do daily water changes of 50%, I feed them beefheart in the morning before my water change, than O.S.I. Discus flake food mid morning, tetra color bits early afternoon, followed by the flake food again late afternoon, and thier last feeding of the day is frozen blood worms. I am a 100% dissable vet so I have allot of time on my hands and I do not miss a water change. When I got them they were pretty thin and did want to eat and were only feed beafheart, but now they eat like pigs and nice and thick. They have grown allot since I got them, but you hit the nail on the head the two you were talking about have not grown much in length sence I got them. I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me, thank you so much for you honest opinion. Thanks again Larry.

jaykne
04-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Eddie,
If you would like to know where I bought them let me know and I will send you a private message, I don't want to give negitive comments on here about anyone. I know you would know of the the person I bought them from, very popular but do not see his name on here much :), I think you may be surprized, Thanks again Larry.

Eddie
04-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Well Larry, from the way you are doing things, I think you are definitely doing it right. Since you've only had them for a month, you have plenty of time to give them the TLC they need. They should turn out to be some very nice fish.

All the best of luck,

Eddie

jaykne
04-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks Eddie,

Where do you get most of your fish from some of the best I have seen, must have allot of money in them:D I preordered some of those 5" Albino Alenquers that Kenny is getting in:)

Eddie
04-22-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks Eddie,

Where do you get most of your fish from some of the best I have seen, must have allot of money in them:D I preordered some of those 5" Albino Alenquers that Kenny is getting in:)

I have half my fish from Forrest and the other half from the Local Hardware store here in Okinawa. ;)

I don't know where they source from but I'd love to find out.

Those Albino's are gorgeous! Can't wait to see picture of them when you get them.

Eddie

Roxanne
04-22-2009, 07:43 PM
Those are all beautiful.....and you have done an excellent job caring for them. By the sounds of it, you already know what you're doing;)

Welcome to Simply BTW

Roxanne

jaykne
04-22-2009, 08:03 PM
Those are all beautiful.....and you have done an excellent job caring for them. By the sounds of it, you already know what you're doing;)

Welcome to Simply BTW

Roxanne

Thank you for the repley, I use to breed Africans so I know allot about fishkeeping, just never had allot of experence with discus but did do my homework, I just wanted other peoples opinion on how they look, I know it takes allot of experence to really grade there shape and size of their eyes.

Thanks for the welcome and BTW my name Larry:)

jaykne
04-22-2009, 08:20 PM
I have half my fish from Forrest and the other half from the Local Hardware store here in Okinawa. ;)

I don't know where they source from but I'd love to find out.

Those Albino's are gorgeous! Can't wait to see picture of them when you get them.

Eddie

I spent allot of time looking at all pics you have of your discus, you have some very very nice ones feel free to send me some if you ever get bored with them:D BTW what do you do in Okinawa if you don't mind me asking, and yes I will send some pics when I the Albino's, I can't wait:)

Eddie
04-22-2009, 09:28 PM
I spent allot of time looking at all pics you have of your discus, you have some very very nice ones feel free to send me some if you ever get bored with them:D BTW what do you do in Okinawa if you don't mind me asking, and yes I will send some pics when I the Albino's, I can't wait:)

Thanks Larry, If my Heckel Cross and RSG breed, I'll try to hand carry some fry to the states. ;) LOL They might not make it since we can only bring 100ml of liquids in our carry on. Maybe I can keep replenishing them with bottled water once I get on the plane. :D

I am here in Okinawa working in US Air Force. I am an aircraft mechanic by name but currently a Quality Assurance Inspector. The family and I have been here for about 18 months and we have well over 2 more years to go.

Take care Larry and best of luck with your fishes,

Eddie

jaykne
04-22-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks Larry, If my Heckel Cross and RSG breed, I'll try to hand carry some fry to the states. ;) LOL They might not make it since we can only bring 100ml of liquids in our carry on. Maybe I can keep replenishing them with bottled water once I get on the plane. :D

I am here in Okinawa working in US Air Force. I am an aircraft mechanic by name but currently a Quality Assurance Inspector. The family and I have been here for about 18 months and we have well over 2 more years to go.

Take care Larry and best of luck with your fishes,

Eddie

Cool I will pay for the bottled water:D what are you going to do when you come back to the US how are you going to get you fish over, that would suck to have to sell them. Later Larry

Eddie
04-22-2009, 11:56 PM
Cool I will pay for the bottled water:D what are you going to do when you come back to the US how are you going to get you fish over, that would suck to have to sell them. Later Larry

Not really Larry, that means that I will just have to get some new ones. I'll sell the ones I have now for pennies:D

Eddie

Roxanne
04-23-2009, 12:02 AM
Eddie, can't you freight them ahead of you when you leave? If you're leavin them fish behind, I'm gettin on the first plane to Oki to grab em:D

Eddie
04-23-2009, 12:14 AM
Eddie, can't you freight them ahead of you when you leave? If you're leavin them fish behind, I'm gettin on the first plane to Oki to grab em:D

I might be able to but I doubt it. Live fish from Okinawa to the states....not likely possible. It really depends on where I go from here too. I have been stationed around the world overseas for 8 years and I really enjoy it. I'd like to stay overseas. Definitely want to get back to Europa!

Eddie

jaykne
04-23-2009, 04:13 AM
Not really Larry, that means that I will just have to get some new ones. I'll sell the ones I have now for pennies:D

Eddie

:D I would buy every one of them up in a heartbeat:)

jaykne
04-23-2009, 04:17 AM

Hey Roxanne want to race:D

Eddie
04-23-2009, 06:00 AM
:D I would buy every one of them up in a heartbeat:)

LOL, thanks Larry. Honestly, the fish grew well because I fed them well and changed alot of water every day. Others have success at growing there fish out by doing less and feeding less. Mine just grew faster! LOL ;)

Eddie

jaykne
04-23-2009, 10:22 AM
LOL, thanks Larry. Honestly, the fish grew well because I fed them well and changed alot of water every day. Others have success at growing there fish out by doing less and feeding less. Mine just grew faster! LOL ;)

Eddie

Hey Eddie, what size where most of the fish you bought, and in general how long did it take to get your discus from say 4" to 6", I know some strains grow faster than others, but in general. Also Eddie if you would, can you give me your regiment like foods how much everyday, how many water changes, and how much, what size tanks do you use for how many fish, you know all that kind of stuff. Also I set my temp at 88 when I first got my fish to stimulate thier appetite I have just left it thier because they seem to be so happy do you think I should take it down. I know what I am doing now is good they are growing and will eat anything, just like to hear what you do and maybe make some chages, if it sounds good. I will take some more pics for you when I get those albino's from Kenny, they are looking alot better since those last pics color more vibrant also. Your wife must be really understading, my wife is not really into fish and was not happy at all when I told her I ordered more:D how many fish do you have right now and how many tanks? I also wanted to thank you for always answering back, and I see the time you spend on here helping other people out, very good thing and I think you are valuable to this site, even more so concidering you work, have a family, and allot of fish to take care of. Big :thumbsup: to you, I want to help others out also just take some time I don't want to give people bad information but I am learning. Thanks again Eddie, and hope to heat back from you soon Larry

Eddie
04-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey Eddie, what size where most of the fish you bought, and in general how long did it take to get your discus from say 4" to 6", I know some strains grow faster than others, but in general. Also Eddie if you would, can you give me your regiment like foods how much everyday, how many water changes, and how much, what size tanks do you use for how many fish, you know all that kind of stuff. Also I set my temp at 88 when I first got my fish to stimulate thier appetite I have just left it thier because they seem to be so happy do you think I should take it down. I know what I am doing now is good they are growing and will eat anything, just like to hear what you do and maybe make some chages, if it sounds good. I will take some more pics for you when I get those albino's from Kenny, they are looking alot better since those last pics color more vibrant also. Your wife must be really understading, my wife is not really into fish and was not happy at all when I told her I ordered more:D how many fish do you have right now and how many tanks? I also wanted to thank you for always answering back, and I see the time you spend on here helping other people out, very good thing and I think you are valuable to this site, even more so concidering you work, have a family, and allot of fish to take care of. Big :thumbsup: to you, I want to help others out also just take some time I don't want to give people bad information but I am learning. Thanks again Eddie, and hope to heat back from you soon Larry

Hi there Larry, just a quick one since I am out the door heading home from work.

I have 6 tanks and 19 discus. I have 3 ea 55s and 3 ea 29s. Getting ready to build another rack to hold 2 more 55s.

I purchased a small group of discus at the end of October, they were 2-2.5 inches. I then puchased about 5 or 6 more discus in December that were 2" and finally purchased 8 discus from Forrest in February that ranged from 2 to 3.5".

All 2-2.5" fish are pushing 6" total length and Forrest's fish are pushing 5".

I fed my fish 10-12 times a day up until recently as I now only feed about 6-8times since the fish are getting older.

All my fish are primarily fed my own homemade seafood mix. I supplement their diet with Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flake food. Nothing else except occasionally I will change up the flake. Maybe ON Formula One, Brine Shrimp Plus, Discus Flake and another good flake from Angel Plus called High Pro-Growth.

Waterchanges started out at 50% daily for the first 2 months and then just decided to do 100% everyday. All the feeding takes a toll on the water quality in the tanks. In fact, I would change more water everyday if I could and on weekends, I change 100% in the AM and 50% in the PM.

Out of all my fish, my 2 Blue Diamonds were the smallest and now the largest of my fish. I'll try to get some updated pictures tomorrow or the next day.

Everybody on the forum does things their own way, they find what works best for them and their fish and run with it. I may help people out often but I get just as much help from everyone else. That is the best thing about this forum. Everybody is like a family, honestly. To me, my fish are your fish and your fish are my fish. What you go through, we all go through and we all work it out together.

Hope that helped out a little. I am always around so don't hesitate to ask away.

Take care Larry and have a great day!

Eddie

PS- My wife doesn't understand my passion for discus but she likes the way they look so I just try to keep them looking beautiful for her. ;)

jaykne
04-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Hi there Larry, just a quick one since I am out the door heading home from work.

I have 6 tanks and 19 discus. I have 3 ea 55s and 3 ea 29s. Getting ready to build another rack to hold 2 more 55s.

I purchased a small group of discus at the end of October, they were 2-2.5 inches. I then puchased about 5 or 6 more discus in December that were 2" and finally purchased 8 discus from Forrest in February that ranged from 2 to 3.5".

All 2-2.5" fish are pushing 6" total length and Forrest's fish are pushing 5".

I fed my fish 10-12 times a day up until recently as I now only feed about 6-8times since the fish are getting older.

All my fish are primarily fed my own homemade seafood mix. I supplement their diet with Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flake food. Nothing else except occasionally I will change up the flake. Maybe ON Formula One, Brine Shrimp Plus, Discus Flake and another good flake from Angel Plus called High Pro-Growth.

Waterchanges started out at 50% daily for the first 2 months and then just decided to do 100% everyday. All the feeding takes a toll on the water quality in the tanks. In fact, I would change more water everyday if I could and on weekends, I change 100% in the AM and 50% in the PM.

Out of all my fish, my 2 Blue Diamonds were the smallest and now the largest of my fish. I'll try to get some updated pictures tomorrow or the next day.

Everybody on the forum does things their own way, they find what works best for them and their fish and run with it. I may help people out often but I get just as much help from everyone else. That is the best thing about this forum. Everybody is like a family, honestly. To me, my fish are your fish and your fish are my fish. What you go through, we all go through and we all work it out together.

Hope that helped out a little. I am always around so don't hesitate to ask away.

Take care Larry and have a great day!

Eddie

PS- My wife doesn't understand my passion for discus but she likes the way they look so I just try to keep them looking beautiful for her. ;)

Wow you are getting very fast growth, every buddy I have talk to including Kenny say the first 3 months you can get an inch a month after that they slow down and on the average takes about two yeare to get them to 6". I would really like to get that seafood diet from you. I do 50% a day would do more but I have to age my water because the ph goes up by 1 in 24 hours and don't have the holding space for 100% right now kind of sucks wish my water came out of the tap and stayed at the same ph. I like your beleifs, I think that is the right additude to have and very happy I found this site, I am the type that would do everything I can to help someone. I don't know when I use to breed african cichlids, that was a while ago and the only real way for breeder and just people doing it as a hobby to talk was by phone and news letters, but in most cases with breeders it was a cut throat game and still is if you talk to one breeder they will put down the others. I hated that I put alot of time and care into the fish I sold and to have other people in my area that were selling put me down, I would recomend someone if I did not have what someone was looking for. But just glad this is not like that, it is nice to know that I can come on here and get answers to my questions. I will say more later I have to go out. Take care Larry

Eddie
04-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Here you go Larry, with pictures too.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=69130

I'm sure in this hobby people keep their secrets. I know there are several books that mention withholding certain information to get an upper hand, but that is the business aspect I guess. I am only a hobbyist, I have never bred discus.

Talk to you later,

Eddie

jaykne
04-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Here you go Larry, with pictures too.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=69130

I'm sure in this hobby people keep their secrets. I know there are several books that mention withholding certain information to get an upper hand, but that is the business aspect I guess. I am only a hobbyist, I have never bred discus.

Talk to you later,

Eddie

Hey Eddie, thanks I am going to try that looks allot more easy than beefheart. I don't think the smell would bother me my wife is filipino and some of dried fish, salted shrimp sauce, and other native foods she eats really smell bad:D But allot more healthy than what we eat here in the US. I just can't get past the smell to eat some of the stuff she eats:D. Hey I was asking you a question about water temp, I set my temp to 88 when I got my fish to stimulate thier appatite and just never took it down because they are so happy, do you think I should bring it down, just would like to know your personal opinion. Well have a good day and I will talk to you again soon, Larry.

Eddie
04-23-2009, 10:45 PM
88 is fine, I like to keep my temp between 86-88F until they are larger. Once they slow down on the feeding, I will drop the temp to 84-86 and so on.

Take care,

Eddie

jaykne
04-23-2009, 11:09 PM
88 is fine, I like to keep my temp between 86-88F until they are larger. Once they slow down on the feeding, I will drop the temp to 84-86 and so on.

Take care,

Eddie

Ya right now the eat like pigs, and they eat anything, I think you were right they are really start to show growth, so happy they are not stunted. Like I was saying I will get you some new pics just waiting for those albino's I will be getting from Kenny next week so I can send you pics of them too.Take care Larry.

Eddie
04-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Ya right now the eat like pigs, and they eat anything, I think you were right they are really start to show growth, so happy they are not stunted. Like I was saying I will get you some new pics just waiting for those albino's I will be getting from Kenny next week so I can send you pics of them too.Take care Larry.

Sounds great Larry, can't wait to see them.

Eddie

namasgt
04-24-2009, 04:04 AM
Hello Larry and welcome to simply discus.

sorry for your first experience but I think they still look good and can stay healthy with what your doing for them. they look way better than what I got for the first time.
I had the same experience as you and my first batch of discus was from a distributor that gave me bad fish and lost some $$$$. they look like they were picked from the cull tank. I never mentioned it here, but only to ones who were asking about their service in private.
Im wandering if you got your fish from the same vendor.
personaly I would only buy discus from distributors that actually post the picture of the actual fish their selling not some 10 year old pic representing that strain.

jaykne
04-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Hello Larry and welcome to simply discus.

sorry for your first experience but I think they still look good and can stay healthy with what your doing for them. they look way better than what I got for the first time.
I had the same experience as you and my first batch of discus was from a distributor that gave me bad fish and lost some $$$$. they look like they were picked from the cull tank. I never mentioned it here, but only to ones who were asking about their service in private.
Im wandering if you got your fish from the same vendor.
personaly I would only buy discus from distributors that actually post the picture of the actual fish their selling not some 10 year old pic representing that strain.

Well to give an update they look allot better now and growing good, I got them eating lots of different food which they eat from my hand, I do 50% water change everyday not thin now, and friends that come over always say they look allot bigger. When I got them they were all 3 1/2" now smallest one is 4" and a couple near 4 1/2" I think that is really good for one month. Where I got them have a really good reputation I think anyone that knows anything about discus would know the name, really don't what is going on with him. But I preordered some albino's from the fish Kenny is getting can't wait to get them:) Thanks for the response I will post some updated pics soon.