PDA

View Full Version : quick cure treatment sponge in or out?

silent_thunder
04-22-2009, 04:43 PM
which way?

I always wonered why I liked Cobains song...im so dumb hahah

Moon
04-22-2009, 05:15 PM
I leave the sponges in with no problems.

frenchie100
04-22-2009, 05:25 PM
The sponge might have some eggs of whatever it is you are trying to kill, so it's better to leave it in, and hope they hatch while yu are treating. :)

Good luck,
-Julie

Graham
04-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Just watch the water quality/bio-film as the QC may knock it back a bit

silent_thunder
04-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Just watch the water quality/bio-film as the QC may knock it back a bit

Whats biofilm? I also took out all the media and pads from the HOB filters...good idea or not?
Thx Grahmn

Graham
04-22-2009, 08:24 PM
In every aquarium a biological film develops on every substrate that is wet. That bio-film is composed of a community of microorganisms that include bacteria (both aerobic and anaerobic), algae and fungi. We think that it's mainly nitrifying bacteria that we rely on for nitrification but it takes the whole bio-film

When we ''cycle'' a tank we are allowing that bio-film to get established. To allow it to convert/oxidize toxic elements like ammonia and nitrite to non-toxic elements like nitrate.

We normally wipe off the film from the glass but we would never get all of it. Then the surface of plants or gravel get coated let alone the bio-media with in the filter which we dedicate to it...

needless to say chemicals and antibiotics can knock it back or kill it

silent_thunder
04-22-2009, 10:00 PM
In every aquarium a biological film develops on every substrate that is wet. That bio-film is composed of a community of microorganisms that include bacteria (both aerobic and anaerobic), algae and fungi. We think that it's mainly nitrifying bacteria that we rely on for nitrification but it takes the whole bio-film

When we ''cycle'' a tank we are allowing that bio-film to get established. To allow it to convert/oxidize toxic elements like ammonia and nitrite to non-toxic elements like nitrate.

We normally wipe off the film from the glass but we would never get all of it. Then the surface of plants or gravel get coated let alone the bio-media with in the filter which we dedicate to it...

needless to say chemicals and antibiotics can knock it back or kill it

Wow...Thanks Graham...that was very well put..

I always wondered what that film was on the glass...I didnt like it!

Again your time is always appreciated!

D

silent_thunder
04-22-2009, 10:02 PM
I leave the sponges in with no problems.

Thats what I did last time but I need to ask lest much money go down the...

I JUST cant say it!

silent_thunder
04-22-2009, 10:03 PM
The sponge might have some eggs of whatever it is you are trying to kill, so it's better to leave it in, and hope they hatch while yu are treating. :)

Good luck,
-Julie

Well....IF this does NOT get them gas will :)

Thanks Julie

Eddie
04-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Another way to do it is move the fish to a tank that has been totally sterilized, nothing from any old tank, nothing. Brand new sponge filter and everything. That is the best way to nix them IMO. Then sterilize all your old stuff. You can put an old damp sponge in the microwave for a few minutes to kill anything that might be in it. It will kill your good bacteria but doing daily WCs of 50% or higher will keep levels low and the filter will cycle again.

Eddie

silent_thunder
04-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Another way to do it is move the fish to a tank that has been totally sterilized, nothing from any old tank, nothing. Brand new sponge filter and everything. That is the best way to nix them IMO. Then sterilize all your old stuff. You can put an old damp sponge in the microwave for a few minutes to kill anything that might be in it. It will kill your good bacteria but doing daily WCs of 50% or higher will keep levels low and the filter will cycle again.

Eddie

I am working on setting up 2 tommorrow and starting the fishless cycle...

As well as redoing a 55 that was made in early 60`s...you know those...stainless steel...slate bottoms..I am not sure I have enough plug ins..=L=

OK one last question how do you totally sterilize a tank?

D

Eddie
04-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Water/bleach solution. I know Kdodds recommends 4 to 1 solution but I am never that exact. I use a bucket throw in some bleach and add 4 times more water than bleach. I use a really big sponge and really scrub everything down, inside and out. Making sure every nook and cranny gets scrubbed. When I'm done, I rinse the tank super good. Then I fill it with water and about 4X the amount of de-chlor (Prime). I let it sit overnight and drain the tank. Give it another good rinse and Et Viola!

All that work goes down the drain if you use any old equipment that has not been sterilized or replaced.

Eddie

silent_thunder
04-23-2009, 08:33 AM
Water/bleach solution. I know Kdodds recommends 4 to 1 solution but I am never that exact. I use a bucket throw in some bleach and add 4 times more water than bleach. I use a really big sponge and really scrub everything down, inside and out. Making sure every nook and cranny gets scrubbed. When I'm done, I rinse the tank super good. Then I fill it with water and about 4X the amount of de-chlor (Prime). I let it sit overnight and drain the tank. Give it another good rinse and Et Viola!

All that work goes down the drain if you use any old equipment that has not been sterilized or replaced.

Eddie

*blinks*

I can do that...I can do that...I WILL do that in all discus tanks!

lets see...how about the media I took from the tanks...toss it? It was that expensive stuff you recomended...

Everytime I use bleach my cloths change colors -L- we did THAT intentionally in the 60`s...

Eddie
04-23-2009, 08:38 AM
*blinks*

I can do that...I can do that...I WILL do that in all discus tanks!

lets see...how about the media I took from the tanks...toss it? It was that expensive stuff you recomended...

Everytime I use bleach my cloths change colors -L- we did THAT intentionally in the 60`s...

No, I think you can boil the media, thats what I would do. :D

Eddie

silent_thunder
04-23-2009, 08:52 AM
No, I think you can boil the media, thats what I would do. :D

Eddie

OK thanks again cuz it was that Eheim substrate...that hammered me on that little box!

Alright time to get to work

Eddie
04-23-2009, 08:55 AM
OK thanks again cuz it was that Eheim substrate...that hammered me on that little box!

Alright time to get to work

;)