PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizers

ilaizm
04-24-2009, 08:22 AM
I was researching fertilizers for a planted tank and found that the most cost effective way to fertilize plants is buying chemical fertilizers. I am interested to know whether people here use that menthod or whether they buy commercial products to fertilize their plants.

redtheinspector
04-24-2009, 09:58 AM
I was researching fertilizers for a planted tank and found that the most cost effective way to fertilize plants is buying chemical fertilizers. I am interested to know whether people here use that menthod or whether they buy commercial products to fertilize their plants.

Hi,
I stated to use fertilizers 3 weeks ago. I purchased them from AquariumFertilizer.com . Very inexpensive way to go. Most items are 3 bucks a pound which last most a year. I also use SeaChem gravel fertilizers & flourish. I am taking weekly pictures.
regards,
red theinspector

calihawker
04-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi,
Very inexpensive way to go. Most items are 3 bucks a pound which last most a year.

Unless you have a heavily planted 300 gallon tank like mine:o

ilazim,
Really it depends on how heavily planted your tank is as well as factors such as lighting and c02. aquriumfertilizers is a great source.

Red,
Looking forward to pics and welcome to Simply!

Steve

ilaizm
04-24-2009, 10:47 AM
I found what the target ranges for each nutrient. What is confusing me is... Since there are no accurate tests for iron and potassium won't there be a risk of already having nutrients in the tank and with the amount you add, end up with higher ranges than what is ideal?

calihawker
04-24-2009, 12:57 PM
I found what the target ranges for each nutrient. What is confusing me is... Since there are no accurate tests for iron and potassium won't there be a risk of already having nutrients in the tank and with the amount you add, end up with higher ranges than what is ideal?

Again, it's really important to know what you are trying to accomplish in your tank. If you can please post the specifics of your tank so the folks here can make suggestions.

Tank size
Inhabitants (fish and plants)
Filtration
Lighting
Carbon (pressurized c02 or other)

Check out these sites for in depth planted discussions

barrreport.com
plantedtank.net

On the barr report site there are great articles on whats called the "estimative index" method of fertilizing. It eliminates the need for testing.

Steve

ilaizm
04-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Tank size: 90G

Inhabitants: So far none (cycling tank). Once its cycled i'm thinking of: 6 Discus, 18 Rummy nose, 12 Cardinals and 2 Bushy nose

Filtration: 2 canister filters 900 ltrs/hr

Lighting: 4 tubes T5 - 54W each

Pressurized CO2

Apistomaster
04-28-2009, 09:03 PM
If the bulk aquarium plant fertilizers are so cheap I would think you would get a lot of 'mileage' out of one pound of it.

I experimented with very diluted crystalized particle Orchid fertilizer for a planted tank and it worked as well as some of the name brand aquarium fertilizers. I did pot large rooted plants and used Nutrifin PlantGro Sticks in the bottom of the pots. I used clear plastic bottle bottoms as pots with no drainage holes. Eventually I quit fertilizing and just keep low tech planted tanks since I change too much water to be throwing away expensive fertilizers but it was fun to see if the Orchid fertilizer would work or not.

ewolfe315
04-30-2009, 03:03 AM
I use the PPS doseing method now. I was useing the EI method but the nitrates were just too high for my likeing.

With the PPS method that gives me exactly what I need for that day only during the photo. period when lights come on..

Only drawback is you have to dose every day. But from what I have seen there's less nutrients for the Algae to have a party with which equals less algae and fewer water changes. But you still have to do water changes anyway because of the fish load and excess food,etc..

When I was useing the EI method, I had every type of Algae known to man,but not no more. I used Excel a few times and forget that as that triggered nitrite spikes every time I used it.

I just started this PPS 3 months ago and will stay with it.

59 Grams -K2SO4- Potassium Sulfate
65 Grams- KNO3---Potassium Nitrate
6 Grams--KH2PO4--Potassium Phosphate
41 Grams- MgSO4--Magnisium Sulfate, you can use Epsom Salt here
Add all of the above to 1 liter of DISTILLED WATER.

Then the following day add 1 ml. solution to 10 gallons (aquarium). So you'll need 9 ml. per day added to your tank 1 hour before lights come on.

I also refrigerate the above solution.

calihawker
04-30-2009, 03:17 PM
The pps pro method works as well. It's a little leaner than EI by maybe 2x The mistake people usually make with EI is not enough light and c02. There has to be plenty of both to have the appropriate uptake of nutrients.

ewolfe, do you dose micro's seperatley?

Steve

ewolfe315
05-01-2009, 11:45 PM
The pps pro method works as well. It's a little leaner than EI by maybe 2x The mistake people usually make with EI is not enough light and c02. There has to be plenty of both to have the appropriate uptake of nutrients.

Steve

Steve,
I dose the micro's twice weekly after lights go out usually on a Monday and then on Thursday.I use either Tropical plant nutrition or flourish.

The only reason I changed to the PPS method was after reading just about every web-site that dealt with aquatic plants,was that the EI method was recommended for heavily planted tanks. This PPS method was made mainly for people just starting out and getting a little knowledge with the planted aquariam.

I got my co2 running constantly(2bps) and I have 270 watts of T5 HO lighting on a 120 gallon tank. 6400 K

I just had a heck of a time useing the EI method for some reason,more then likely overdosing of KNO3.

Both methods work but for a newbie like myself I prefer the PPS pro for now. First time I ever had plants that actually grow and not die,LOL and have control of the algae growth.

calihawker
05-03-2009, 04:28 PM
The only reason I changed to the PPS method was after reading just about every web-site that dealt with aquatic plants,was that the EI method was recommended for heavily planted tanks. This PPS method was made mainly for people just starting out and getting a little knowledge with the planted aquariam.

Totally agree :thumbsup:

Steve

ewolfe315
05-17-2009, 02:54 AM

Steve

Steve, I just changed over to doseing the micros daily with Plantex CSM+B the last few days. So far everything is doing great.

I had a major Excel problem that caused 3 Discus,3 clown loaches their lives. The Excel took off their slime coat. I overdosed the Excel and paid for it the hard way. So no more Excel for me,this stuff is too darn dangerous.

John

calihawker
05-17-2009, 09:46 AM
Steve, I just changed over to doseing the micros daily with Plantex CSM+B the last few days. So far everything is doing great.

I had a major Excel problem that caused 3 Discus,3 clown loaches their lives. The Excel took off their slime coat. I overdosed the Excel and paid for it the hard way. So no more Excel for me,this stuff is too darn dangerous.

John

Ahh man:( I'm so sorry to hear that. I have heard that about excel. Best of luck to you bro. Can't go wrong with the plantex.:)

Wahter
05-17-2009, 10:34 PM

John

You have to be careful with Excel - it has worked fine for me when I've 2x or 3x the dosage, but I've heard from some other people who have had problems (on the other hand, I've heard from others who are in the same boat I am and have not had any problems).

Walter

Harriett
05-19-2009, 02:01 PM
On the EXCEL: the first time I used it I killed some discus and was really upset--I had doubled the dose which is NOT a problem, but when I was pouring it into the tank I wasn't careful enough to make sure the discus stayed at the other end and they swam right through the stream of it. REAL BAD way to go.
Interestingly, the next day the tank looked fantastic, all the algae was GONE..so I did some more research. I changed how I was dosing and have had zero problems since. First, I feed the discus at the other end of the tank and they swim down to eat. I immediately pour in diluted excel [in a quart of water] into the tank at the opposite back corner of the tank just above the intake for the FX5 filter so it is sucking the ECXEL into the filter system and further dilutes it. When it returns to the tank, the discus have absolutely NO problems with it. It is a good product and worth the extra work if you have algae problems just or want to do a mainantence level dose. I add it to my fert mix in a quart of water after I do the big weekly cleaning and it does the trick for my planted tank.
Best regards,
Harriett