PDA

View Full Version : How small is to small...

machine77
04-24-2009, 09:06 AM
hi guys,
im ordering some fish this month from kenny and ive been reading about how fish get there growth stunted.. i have a 125 gal tank, gravel bottom which i keep extremely clean and tidy, i usually buy fish 4" or bigger, but he has a few that are 3" to 3.5" that i really like, after some qt time, could these be added to my tank without hurting there growth? i heard just a little amonia can stunt there growth, what else can contribute to these.. like always, thanks for any help given!

nolan

Eddie
04-24-2009, 09:25 AM
hi guys,
im ordering some fish this month from kenny and ive been reading about how fish get there growth stunted.. i have a 125 gal tank, gravel bottom which i keep extremely clean and tidy, i usually buy fish 4" or bigger, but he has a few that are 3" to 3.5" that i really like, after some qt time, could these be added to my tank without hurting there growth? i heard just a little amonia can stunt there growth, what else can contribute to these.. like always, thanks for any help given!

nolan

Hey there Nolan, don't worry about ammonia if your filter is cycled.

The size of the fish really depends on that particular fish. My Blue Diamonds were on 2-2.5 inches when I put them my 4 inch fish and they did fine, BDs are notorious for having a temper though. They fought the alpha fish on a regular basis. It really comes down to the different types of fish. You won't get a definite answer on this one. Maybe alot of recommendations to keep the same size together. I'd say its situational.

Eddie

machine77
04-24-2009, 09:37 AM
hey eddie,
well i really wanted to pick a few of kenny's albino spotteds up that are 3.5", RGD thats 3.5" and albino yellow white 4" and finally albino alenquer @ 5"... i placed my order already, all my other fish in my tank are 4" to 5"...

nolan

Eddie
04-24-2009, 09:41 AM
hey eddie,
well i really wanted to pick a few of kenny's albino spotteds up that are 3.5", RGD thats 3.5" and albino yellow white 4" and finally albino alenquer @ 5"... i placed my order already, all my other fish in my tank are 4" to 5"...

nolan

I think they'll be fine, no worries. Lots of fish, lots of targets. ;)

Eddie

machine77
04-24-2009, 09:44 AM
ha ha.. ok thanks... i might even leave the small ones in the qt alittle longer to let them grow to at least 4" befor i add them..
thanks eddie for your help like always!! hey, maybe you should have your own section called..." ASK EDDIE". i bet it would be a hit!

Eddie
04-24-2009, 09:50 AM
ha ha.. ok thanks... i might even leave the small ones in the qt alittle longer to let them grow to at least 4" befor i add them..
thanks eddie for your help like always!! hey, maybe you should have your own section called..." ASK EDDIE". i bet it would be a hit!

Lol, that would be different. I might have to pay a rental fee to Simply though...LOL.

How big will the QT tank be? I think it will be fine having 3" with 5" fish in a 125. Discus do better in groups than in small numbers in small tanks. ;)

Eddie

machine77
04-24-2009, 09:53 AM
qt tank is only 30 gal.. ill have 2 5" fish and 2 3.5" in there this month..

Eddie
04-24-2009, 09:58 AM
qt tank is only 30 gal.. ill have 2 5" fish and 2 3.5" in there this month..

It's gonna be a bit tight in there. ;)

Eddie

machine77
04-24-2009, 10:02 AM
i know huh, maybe i should get the 4" albino yellow white instead of the 5".. that would help alittle.. god, all this stuff im learning make me wish i had known all this along time ago, would save me time and money! lol but i love learning and what people have to say even though i ask 15,000 questions a week.. ha ha

Eddie
04-24-2009, 10:03 AM
i know huh, maybe i should get the 4" albino yellow white instead of the 5".. that would help alittle.. god, all this stuff im learning make me wish i had known all this along time ago, would save me time and money! lol but i love learning and what people have to say even though i ask 15,000 questions a week.. ha ha

It's cool, ask away...you'll get 15,000 different answers. :D

Eddie

machine77
04-24-2009, 10:13 AM
thanks eddie... :)

Jhhnn
04-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Your fish should be OK in the qt tank if you change a lot of water and stay on top of the water quality. Heavily populated tanks can go downhill very, very quickly...

If the filtration system hasn't properly cycled, you'll have a gargantuan task keeping those fish healthy in that small tank...

Eddie
04-24-2009, 10:25 PM
Your fish should be OK in the qt tank if you change a lot of water and stay on top of the water quality. Heavily populated tanks can go downhill very, very quickly...

If the filtration system hasn't properly cycled, you'll have a gargantuan task keeping those fish healthy in that small tank...

Yeah and trying to grow 4 each 2-3.5 inch fish an inch or two more in size in a 30 would be nearly impossible. ;)

Eddie

discusjoe27
04-27-2009, 11:45 PM
depends on the fish, I've got 4 snow whites that are 3.5 to 4 inches, and one snow white that is 2 inches, and they all get alone. they only time the 2 inch one gets a "go away" is when the bigger ones want to go behind a fake driftwood piece and get some shade.

now if you put a 1 inch discus with a full grown 5.5+ you'll have problems.
the little guy will get chased 24/7. seen it happen in my friends tank, he took the little guy back and now has all 11-13 5-7 inch discus in with 135.