PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Emperor 400 Filter

samcatj
04-24-2009, 02:48 PM
I recently purchased three new Emperor 400 filters. The filters are very noisy and they have been redesigned so that there is no way to adjust the rate of water flow as there was in the older models.

I noticed that the drop in filters has obvisously been redesigned also. The filters turn to a mushy substance withing two weeks of using them. I know with the older filters I could easily get two - three months of good use out of them.

Anyone else getting these same disappointing results? Any suggestions of another type of good filter that is compatable to the Marlineland Emperor 400 filter?

Thanks,

Samcatj

Eddie
04-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Aquaclear 110

drew22to375
04-24-2009, 10:08 PM
I had one of the older models so I can't help you with the noise. But if the filter cartridge is still the same what I would do is rip of the cotton filter part so just the plastic frame was left then go the the pet store and get some of that blue filter media on a roll and cut it to size and ruberband it to that plastic frame. You could get several uses out of it. I also would take the carbon out.

Drew...

KDodds
04-25-2009, 07:47 AM
I didn't like the old Emperors much either, but they work so darn well. Right now I'm using an AC 110 (sponge and peat bag only).

dan3949
04-26-2009, 12:36 AM
I have two emperor 400 filters I purchased about 10 months ago. I have had no problems with the filter cartridges. I run them for 3-4 months and they hold up fine. I spray them with the garden hose to clean all the crud out once every couple of weeks. I figure the carbon is dead after the first month. I don't bother to take it out.

The noise is another issue. First, make certain there is no sand/snail shell in the impeller area of the pump (this can make a clicking/rattle sound). Inspect/clean the impeller. They can get damaged and lose balance creating a rattle. Thoroughly clean the magnet/housing (I do this every 4-6 months). I find that if the pump is making rattleing noises, I turn it on/off a couple of times and it often stops. Also, you can play with how tighly the lift tube is seated into the filter housing. Check to see that it is firmly seated, or try to lift it up a little and see if this impacts the noise.

Make sure the tank water level is correct. If the water level is below the lip of the filter housing outlet, this can create a loud waterfall noise. If the filter cartridges get clogged, the water will try and flow around them and come out the center section which can be noisy as it falls into the tank.

Try a Google search on "noisy emperor filter" for more tips.

I found by cleaning and tinkering with the filter, I have been able to stop all rattles and noise issues (so far).

thebigone
04-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Aquaclear 110

I have a AC 110. Just like Eddie has mentioned. You can adjust the flow on it and place different kind of media in it as well. IMO closest thing to a canister.