PDA

View Full Version : Discus wont eat anything besides Frozen Blood Worms

darksinister
04-25-2009, 03:28 AM
I tried giving them prime reef flakes, some angel flakes, tetra bits, and brime shrimp but they wont eat it besides my frozen blood worms and larva. Should I starve them for a day and feed them flakes, pellets, etc?

Eddie
04-25-2009, 03:39 AM
I tried giving them prime reef flakes, some angel flakes, tetra bits, and brime shrimp but they wont eat it besides my frozen blood worms and larva. Should I starve them for a day and feed them flakes, pellets, etc?

Yup, crank up the heat to 90-92F and don't feed them for a day or 2. Don't give in, a fish can go for a while without food. Siphon up any uneaten food after about 10 min.

Eddie

Don Trinko
04-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Feed the new food first thing in the morning. They should be hungy.
This is a common problem. IMO; Some of the dealers feed only FBW. When they get imports almost all of the discus will eat FBW but few are acustomed to flakes. Don T.

KDodds
04-26-2009, 07:26 AM
I've had the same problem, so far, times 3. Patience. Defrost the FBW in a transparent cup just until it no longer floats, let them see what you're doing, let them see it coming. Switch up with a FBH mix, same method, and after a day or two, they SHOULD hit the FBH just as hard as the FBW. Once you've got them on more than one food, feed the flake first and instead of sprinkling it on the surface, dip your fingers in and release. Worked for me so far.

hedut
04-26-2009, 08:08 AM
that same happen to me but I let them hungry for a week but just feed them once every morning with very small amount of tetra and it's work :D:D

hendri

thebigone
04-26-2009, 09:53 AM
In my experience I feed the food that I want to change them to first thing in the morning and a little bit for the second feeding. This worked for me. Like Eddie said don't give in. Hope everything works out.

jaykne
04-26-2009, 11:18 AM
I agree with Eddie, when I got my discus they would eat nothing but FBW. After giving them a couple days to get comfortable I took the temp up to 90 and gave them nothing but flakes and tetra bits it took a couple days, but now they eat anything and started giving them FBW again also once a day. Larry

acroken
04-26-2009, 11:53 AM
picky eaters are frustration and especially with BD who are slow eaters. I keep the temp a bit higher on grow outs.Water changes are important to keep water quality up and keep them hungry. Once my fish are approx one year old I do not feed on Sunday and introduce new foods on Monday. Good luck

Kenny

darksinister
04-26-2009, 11:47 PM
Thanks! 3/4 of them are eating the flakes/fbs but some aren't giving in :mad:! Thanks for all the help everybody!

Eddie
04-27-2009, 01:15 AM
;)

Make sure to only feed them the new food, no bloodworms. The fish that are not taking the new yet, will catch on now that the others are eating it.

Best of luck,

Eddie