PDA

View Full Version : Treatment with metro.

Chris Witterick
04-27-2009, 06:01 AM
Do flagellates that affect fish live in the aquarium environment as well as the fishes gut or just in the fishes gut? The reason I ask is that when treating with metro is it necessary to treat the fish and the environment or is it adequate to treat just the fish.

many thanks Chris.

Eddie
04-27-2009, 07:43 AM
Do flagellates that affect fish live in the aquarium environment as well as the fishes gut or just in the fishes gut? The reason I ask is that when treating with metro is it necessary to treat the fish and the environment or is it adequate to treat just the fish.

many thanks Chris.

This was taken from:
Spironucleus
Hole In The Head & Head and Lateral Line Disease

by Fred Goodall & Dougall Stewart

3.3 The transmission of Spironucleus.
Whilst there is little known at the moment on the complete lifecycle and transmission of Spironucleus vortens it is reasonable to expect that it is very similar to other Spironucleus species. One way that Spironucleus may be transmitted is via contaminated faecal material. That is the adult trophozoite undergoes longitudinal binary fission in the intestine, the trophozoites are then passed in faeces. It may also be possible that cysts are produced and evacuated in a similar manner, though this is yet to be demonstrated; however other diplomonads have reproduced in this manner under laboratory conditions (Poynton, Sterud, 2002). In this way, discus 'pecking' at the base of the aquarium are likely to ingest S. vortens. Post ingestion excystment would occur, if cysts are involved; and/or the newly ingested trophozoites would start to colonise the mucosal surface and mucus layer of the small intestinal lumen - and so the cycle continues.

Roxanne
04-27-2009, 08:29 AM
when treating with metro is it necessary to treat the fish and the environment or is it adequate to treat just the fish.

Hi Chris:)..is the fish eating?...it's better to get the meds into the fish where it will do the most good, but if the fish isn't eating, treating the water is the only way...have you got white poop?...I mean, has your discus got white poop?:D....

Rox

Chris Witterick
04-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Humm.... thanks for that both. I take it then that treating with metro in food is probably the most effective way to go and if all the fish in the tank are treated at the same time reinfection should be avoided.

Yes Rox 2 out of 4 have got the white pooh and 1 of those won't eat so I've isolated him and I am putting metro in his water. As for the others I'll now treat them all with metro in BH and geletin.

Cheers Chris

Roxanne
04-28-2009, 08:24 PM
...white slimy poop? or long & segmented like sausage?...

Rox

RE: re infestation...Spironucleus can live in the gut of fish and do no harm, it's when flagellates destroy the gut lining that Spiro can make it's way into the vital organs and kill the fish...

Chris Witterick
04-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi Rox
Slimey white pooh. Do you think I'm on the right track treating with metro?
Cheers Chris

Eddie
04-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi Rox
Slimey white pooh. Do you think I'm on the right track treating with metro?
Cheers Chris

Yes

Chris Witterick
04-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Phew!!

atorres
04-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Rox
What does it mean if it is segmented like sausage?
Angel

Roxanne
04-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Hi Angel:)

White & Segmented is tapeworms...You know how sausage is crimped(twisted) into lengths and are all joined together until you cut them apart? Like that except white and looks like it has been crimped into segments.....whereas the spiro poop is just slimy and has no "segments"....is that a better description? I hope so :)

Rox

robby ram
04-29-2009, 01:16 AM
Hi Angel:)

White & Segmented is intestinal worms...
Rox

do you use metro for worm too?

a clear pic to distinguish between 'segmented poop ( worm ) ' vs 'slimy poop ( spiro )'.

Roxanne
04-29-2009, 01:33 AM
I had to edit the above because I wrote intestinal worms instead of tape worms..

Here's a poopy sticky by Ardan..or a sticky poopy..whichever:D

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=48601

Poopy Pictures...well Robyn has some...I'll go find them for you;)

Roxanne

Roxanne
04-29-2009, 01:40 AM
Here's an easy to use med chart from the Library....

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/medicine_cabinet/medication_information.shtml

EDIT: Robyn's poopy pics

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=68330&page=2

Eddie
04-29-2009, 04:19 AM
do you use metro for worm too?

a clear pic to distinguish between 'segmented poop ( worm ) ' vs 'slimy poop ( spiro )'.

For tapeworm, which is entirely uncommon, you can use PraziPro. If your fish has tapeworms and you use PraziPro, its almost immediate. I'll find a shot of some fish I had back in 2004 that had tapeworms.

For other worms, use levimasole, piperazine, panacur and fenbendizole. I'm sure there are others.

Eddie

Eddie
04-29-2009, 04:21 AM
Here is a post I posted with a very easily distinguishable picture of a tapeworm. You can see the head of the tapeworm by the shape. ;)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=41782

Eddie

Roxanne
04-29-2009, 06:59 AM
...groovy...now we just need white slimy/mucousy...

atorres
04-29-2009, 07:12 AM
What if you see both the sausage like(tapeworms) and white poo(Spiro/Hex), which do you treat first?
Angel

Eddie
04-29-2009, 07:37 AM
Treat with both. API General Cure is a combination of Praziquantel and Metronidazole.

;)

Eddie

atorres
04-29-2009, 07:42 AM
Eddie
I have both Prazipro and Metronidazole. Can I treat with both?
Angel

Eddie
04-29-2009, 07:50 AM
Eddie
I have both Prazipro and Metronidazole. Can I treat with both?
Angel

The thing is Angel, if your fish have tapeworms, which is highly unlikely, they will expel quickly when using PraziPro, maybe a day or 2.

As you can see in my the thread about the tapeworms, I was not treating for tapeworms. They are not common at all in discus from what I have read and heard.

Personally I'd run the metro treatment as it is the more serious IMO. I don't know if you can dose PraziPro together with Metro because I have not done that personally. Can it be done? I think so but that's a choice you would have to make.

Eddie

robby ram
04-29-2009, 07:10 PM
Here is a post I posted with a very easily distinguishable picture of a tapeworm. You can see the head of the tapeworm by the shape. ;)

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=41782

Eddie

thanks.

thats tape worm.

spiro is when the poop has segments? how about slimy poop?

Eddie
04-29-2009, 07:20 PM
thanks.

thats tape worm.

spiro is when the poop has segments? how about slimy poop?

No, segmented is tapeworm and spriro is fluffy slimy white, looks like boogies in the water. :o

Eddie

Roxanne
04-29-2009, 08:18 PM
..looks like boogies in the water. :o

Eddie

lol:D