PDA

View Full Version : heaters....

silent_thunder
04-29-2009, 03:08 PM
I have alwasy been a fan of marineland heaters...

That being said...the last 3 I have bought 250 wats have not been able to keep even a 20 gallon or 29 gallon tank at 90 degtees...

Its a REAL bummer...they come from a reputable dealer here...

So whats the scoop...I always put them towards the bottom in a horizontal postion...air bubbles close to them...

Am I doing something wrong or is it the....heaters...

I am open to other kinds of heaters now...whats everyone think...

Thanks alot

D

MSD
04-29-2009, 03:27 PM
Just got a Rena to backup my Eheims. I love Eheim, but the 250 watt is Too long!!

mlov1022
04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Don't buy the Hydor Theo's either they stink as well. I have 3-400w in my 150 turned all the way up any they just maintain 83 degrees.

machine77
04-29-2009, 05:05 PM
i have never used any of the above, i used to use jager which are a piece's of crap for keeping a temp stable, so i switched to via aqua titanium heaters and not a single problem, i use only 1 300w in my 125gal tank and it is always right on temp.. its worth the money and the time.. will never buy a glass heater again!

Eddie
04-29-2009, 07:01 PM
i have never used any of the above, i used to use jager which are a piece's of crap for keeping a temp stable, so i switched to via aqua titanium heaters and not a single problem, i use only 1 300w in my 125gal tank and it is always right on temp.. its worth the money and the time.. will never buy a glass heater again!

Thats cause you need to calibrate it.

Ehiem Jagers all the way!

Eddie

GrillMaster
04-29-2009, 11:00 PM

Eddie

:inquisitive:

silent_thunder
04-30-2009, 09:01 AM
:inquisitive:LOL...

poconogal
04-30-2009, 09:11 AM
I just got a Rena Smart Heater, after my Stealths died, 2 in 3-1/2 weeks. One was new out of the package, the other barely used. The Rena is working great so far, I'm very happy with it. The Stealths lose the ability to heat the water.

If you're filtering with a canister, I highly highly recommend the Hydor ETH Inline heater. Best damn heater I've ever had. It's set at 84, and my 2 thermometers read.... 84.0, with only an occassional variance of 0.2 degrees when the house A/C comes on.

silent_thunder
04-30-2009, 10:07 AM
I just got a Rena Smart Heater, after my Stealths died, 2 in 3-1/2 weeks. One was new out of the package, the other barely used. The Rena is working great so far, I'm very happy with it. The Stealths lose the ability to heat the water.

If you're filtering with a canister, I highly highly recommend the Hydor ETH Inline heater. Best damn heater I've ever had. It's set at 84, and my 2 thermometers read.... 84.0, with only an occassional variance of 0.2 degrees when the house A/C comes on.

The heaters never worked right outta the box...the company is supposed to be sending me a shipping label so I can send them back...no more stealths for me...

I dont filter with a canister...maybe someday =L=...I am still TRYING to get bigger tanks up and running...

I have way to many tanks as it is now however...

Discus have trumped all the others...

Thx

seanyuki
04-30-2009, 10:54 AM
I have two Rena Smart heaters running now in my tanks and worth to invest in them....temperature is accurate:D

Cheers
Francis:)

adamsite
04-30-2009, 11:21 AM

Agreed, the Hydor Inline is the way to go if possible. I love mine, the temp is amazingly consistent! Plus...it improves the look of the tank to not have a bulky heater in it. You also don't really have to turn it off during water changes.

William Palumbo
04-30-2009, 11:36 AM
Normally I buy VISI-THERMS. Wasted much needed cash on some STEALTHS. I bought a few HAGEN ELITES that were on sale at my LFS, out of 3, 2 worked and the third one boiled a tank of dime-sized Rose Red fry. So...I am trying some GUARDIANS I purchesed thru KENFISH...So far so good. A solid built heater for sure. Only time will tell...Bill

silent_thunder
04-30-2009, 12:25 PM

whats the canisters look like...do you know of a site...whats a few more hundered =L=

poconogal
04-30-2009, 12:46 PM
I now have 2 canisters running on my 75, a Rena Filstar XP3, which I've had running for the last 2-1/2 years and which has the Hydor ETH inline hooked up to it, and I just added, because I bought it on Ebay used 2 years ago, an Eheim Pro II 2028. The XP3 handles the 75 by itself, the Eheim is just to have extra. Never know when a filter will crap out! (or a heater :mad: the poor Discus in QT were shivering...)

I shopped around for both of them. Big Al's Online had the best deal when I bought mine, but I paid $89.98 for my XP3. They've certainly gone up in price in 2-1/2 years. Here's a link, both the XP and the Pro II 2028 are on the page. I love my XP3 but I also feel the same about the Eheim. The Eheim -more money, but is dead quiet, and everyone says they will outlast the Renas, but who knows... The XP3 - a tiny bit of noise, less money, still its a great filter IMO. Definitely check on Ebay, too, as well as the rest of the net...

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp17290/cl0/canisterfilters?viewType=Category

thebigone
04-30-2009, 01:10 PM
Don't buy the Hydor Theo's either they stink as well. I have 3-400w in my 150 turned all the way up any they just maintain 83 degrees.

I'm the opposite of mlov1022. I have 2 400watt theo heaters and they keep my tank at 86 degrees and still have a good bit to cut them up if I wanted too. I like my Theo heaters.

silent_thunder
04-30-2009, 01:15 PM
I now have 2 canisters running on my 75, a Rena Filstar XP3, which I've had running for the last 2-1/2 years and which has the Hydor ETH inline hooked up to it, and I just added, because I bought it on Ebay used 2 years ago, an Eheim Pro II 2028. The XP3 handles the 75 by itself, the Eheim is just to have extra. Never know when a filter will crap out! (or a heater :mad: the poor Discus in QT were shivering...)

I shopped around for both of them. Big Al's Online had the best deal when I bought mine, but I paid $89.98 for my XP3. They've certainly gone up in price in 2-1/2 years. Here's a link, both the XP and the Pro II 2028 are on the page. I love my XP3 but I also feel the same about the Eheim. The Eheim -more money, but is dead quiet, and everyone says they will outlast the Renas, but who knows... The XP3 - a tiny bit of noise, less money, still its a great filter IMO. Definitely check on Ebay, too, as well as the rest of the net...

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp17290/cl0/canisterfilters?viewType=Category

Thanks Connie...

mareshow
05-02-2009, 02:22 AM

Eddie

Ditto! i have one as well very impressed tank stays at 86 no matter what