PDA

View Full Version : Water Lettuce photos/heckel biotope

Eddie
04-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Here are some pictures of the water lettuce floating in my Heckel Biotope as requested.

Enjoy

PS-I have a piece of plexi glass that sets underneath the light so don't think the light it hanging over the water like that normally. I just moved the plexi glass for the pictures. ;)

Eddie

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/biotope/water%20lettuce/IMG_2842.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/biotope/water%20lettuce/IMG_2843.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/biotope/water%20lettuce/IMG_2844.jpg
http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss289/extremeist/biotope/water%20lettuce/IMG_2845.jpg

hedut
04-29-2009, 08:12 PM
Eddie, why your water brown like tea? do you put some secret for that or just brown cause the driftwood? Anyway they look nice.

hendri

Eddie
04-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Eddie, why your water brown like tea? do you put some secret for that or just brown cause the driftwood? Anyway they look nice.

hendri

Hello Hendri, in the Heckel Tank, the water is filtered through peat. :D They prefer it!

Eddie

Ed13
04-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Looks good Eddie! Now they can't complain you did not setup a cosy love nest!
This has got to be the most incredible breeding tank!

Eddie
04-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Looks good Eddie! Now they can't complain you did not setup a cosy love nest!
This has got to be the most incredible breeding tank!

Thanks Ed, even if they don't pair off, they love each others company so there is harmony in the tank. :)

Eddie

Scribbles
04-29-2009, 09:26 PM
I really like the water lettuce. Is it native to the Amazon?

Chris

calihawker
04-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Super nice Eddie!!
Are the fish in there? I want to see it from the front:D

Steve

TankWatcher
04-30-2009, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the water lettuce pictures. I really like the look of that.

Eyecandy
04-30-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi Eddie... yep those are mini versions of the same water lettuce in our outdoor pond..:D:D The big ones require quite a bit of sun so I am curious as to how the minis will do with just the tank lights. I don't know personally of anyone using them in tanks but like them alot.. as I am sure the discus do.. I love the look of the roots hanging in the water... Great job...Sue:D

MSD
04-30-2009, 01:29 PM
Nice Eddie, the tank looks great, can't wait to see it with the happy couple in it.

Goki27
04-30-2009, 01:32 PM
I didn't know they look so pretty from above! lol... sigh.. great! job!

Eddie
04-30-2009, 06:45 PM
I really like the water lettuce. Is it native to the Amazon?

Chris

Thanks Chris, it's thought of originating from South America. See link

http://www.iisgcp.org/exoticsp/waterlettuce.htm

Super nice Eddie!!
Are the fish in there? I want to see it from the front:D

Steve

Thanks Steve, here you go.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=70731&page=4

Thanks for the water lettuce pictures. I really like the look of that.

Thanks Robyn!

Hi Eddie... yep those are mini versions of the same water lettuce in our outdoor pond..:D:D The big ones require quite a bit of sun so I am curious as to how the minis will do with just the tank lights. I don't know personally of anyone using them in tanks but like them alot.. as I am sure the discus do.. I love the look of the roots hanging in the water... Great job...Sue:D

Thanks Sue, actually. they are doing better in my tank! When I picked them up, they had several yellow leaves. Now, all the leaves have turned green and they have gotten much larger! They must love the nutrients in the tank. :D

Nice Eddie, the tank looks great, can't wait to see it with the happy couple in it.

Thanks Mark

I didn't know they look so pretty from above! lol... sigh.. great! job!

Yeah, they look very nice IMO. Thanks

Eddie

TankWatcher
04-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks for that link Eddie. I'm going to see if my fav plant supplier can get some of that. I always cringe, though, when I see a plant's description include something like "is an invasive weed" as it's likely to mean our enthusiastic customs guys have it on the banned import list.

Eddie / Sue - so is there a mini version and normal sized variety?

I am excited that a hobbyist posted me 2 tiny thumb nail sized pieces amazon frogbit, as you can't seem to buy it anywhere. Just hope I don't kill it, now that I've got it.

Eddie
05-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Thanks for that link Eddie. I'm going to see if my fav plant supplier can get some of that. I always cringe, though, when I see a plant's description include something like "is an invasive weed" as it's likely to mean our enthusiastic customs guys have it on the banned import list.

Eddie / Sue - so is there a mini version and normal sized variety?

I am excited that a hobbyist posted me 2 tiny thumb nail sized pieces amazon frogbit, as you can't seem to buy it anywhere. Just hope I don't kill it, now that I've got it.

Yeah, I know what you mean Robyn but if they have it here in Okinawa, I bet somebody has it over there. I don't know if there is a mini and a regular size. I am hoping mine are the regular and that they are just small. They are growing very, very well and greener than ever!

Hope you can find some.

Eddie

frenchie100
05-01-2009, 12:13 AM
That's so cool Eddie! I have some in my pond outside! They start out really small and then become huge! Like the size of a real salad! I should try it!

Are you putting any fertilizers in there? What bulb are you using?

Sorry if those questions have already been answered, I am little out of the loop right now! :o

-Julie

Eddie
05-01-2009, 12:30 AM
That's so cool Eddie! I have some in my pond outside! They start out really small and then become huge! Like the size of a real salad! I should try it!

Are you putting any fertilizers in there? What bulb are you using?

Sorry if those questions have already been answered, I am little out of the loop right now! :o

-Julie

Thats wicked Julie! Thanks for the info. And you have some too, man...you got it made!

No fertilizers at all. The lamp I am using is a standard flourescent bright tube made for cabinet lighting. I rigged it into the canopy for the tank. There is a plexiglass panel that sits about the the water so there is no way of having the light get damaged from water or falling in. ;)

Eddie

mcsinny99
05-01-2009, 02:37 AM
I don't know if I missed them, but do you have pics from the front of the tank?

Eddie
05-01-2009, 02:40 AM
I don't know if I missed them, but do you have pics from the front of the tank?

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=70731&page=4

;)

FLGirl1977
05-01-2009, 06:14 AM
Love the water lettuce Eddie! I've been trying to grow mine back out, I love the look of them! :)

Eddie
05-01-2009, 06:17 AM
Love the water lettuce Eddie! I've been trying to grow mine back out, I love the look of them! :)

Thanks Renee, appreciate the comment. :)

Take care,

Eddie

mehran
05-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Love it. This is going to be my next project but still needs my wife approval;)
Mehran

Eddie
05-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Love it. This is going to be my next project but still needs my wife approval;)
Mehran

Thanks, you know thats the most important part. I find that the whole asking for forgiveness than for permission thing DOES NOT work with my wife. LOL

Eddie

Dutch dude
05-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi there,

I keep Pistia stratiotes for over 2 years in one of my tanks. I also tried Echornia grassipes. I started off with the large adults plants sold for ponds. To all of you a WARNING!!! Be very careful with plants sold for ponds!!! It is easy to introduce parasites and other bugs! I was lucky with only some harmless tubularia worms! So if you plan on buying pond plans first give them a medication treatment (in a bucket) for two weeks or so and after that you can introduce them after a good rinse.

The Echornia started of great but soon started to decay becouse of the low light levels. The Pistia did realy realy great and lots of young plants occur. After 2 months the large original plants started to decay so I took them out becouse I already had 50 or so young small plants. The young grew very fast and within a week the surface of the tank was covered. Dough,...the new young plants never grow to a large size. I still have the plants in a 50 gallon tank at 0.6 wpg. The adult "large" plans are only 2 inch maximum in diameter. They do great but are tiny plants and probably becouse of the low light levels. I had the plants in 2 other tanks but removed them. Imo to much food particles get stuck inbetween the 2 inch long roots. The small 50 gallon tank contains abouth 300 cherry shrimp so for that tank no problem at all becouse the shrimp feed on it and breed inbetween the roots. So the Pistia is a nice strong floating plant but becomes a dwarf becouse of the low light levels. I found Echornia grassipes to be a poor floating plant for aquariums but the relative Echornia azurea a wonderfull strong plant and very decorative (occurs from Venuzuela to Uruguay in rivers and swamps). The Echornia and Pistia do best in tanks with a higher nitrate level and lots of minerals. A great choice for first plants in a new set up becouse of the large consumption of nitrates a phosphates.

Ruurd

cc_woman
05-10-2009, 02:20 PM
They look pretty cool, and can't believe how much they do look like lettuce.....I wonder what they would taste like :p

Eddie
05-10-2009, 10:29 PM
They look pretty cool, and can't believe how much they do look like lettuce.....I wonder what they would taste like :p

Ah....I don't think that I want to try it. The discus don't eat it either so it might not be too good. LOL

Eddie