PDA

View Full Version : After treating discus with iodine...

silent_thunder
04-30-2009, 01:22 PM
YOU cant even BUY iodine in the states =L= Its like what? I pour it in baby oil to tan LOL...The pharamy was not impressed...made my day though:D

Ok I have been treating this discus for months it seems and somone told me to give iodine a shot...

So I had to go to a vet and BUY some they use on PIGS...ummm...ok, giess I will take it...

SO I treated him 4 days ago and he looks better than he has in a long time except...

His tail wayyyyy on the end does not look good.

Could that have been the result of the iodine use? WOuld it have burned his tail some?

I would like to tell ya`all THIS is my last question however it wont be =L=

You people have helped me save that discuc and for that I an...verrrrry gratefull

Danile from the lions den...

Graham
04-30-2009, 01:45 PM
You can't buy iodine at the drugstore??:confused:

Yes its possible that it brunt the tips of the fins, it also may have just cleaned away necrotic tissue. This is why you have to keep it out of eyes gills and thier mouth

silent_thunder
04-30-2009, 04:12 PM
You can't buy iodine at the drugstore??:confused:

Yes its possible that it brunt the tips of the fins, it also may have just cleaned away necrotic tissue. This is why you have to keep it out of eyes gills and thier mouth

No can buy anymore! She treid to tell me they make drugs outta it...kinda a dumb answer...cuz I asked ok can a dr write a script for it and she said no...

Well I am hoping thats whats wrong with his tail fin...the poor guy has had enough treatments...he needs to get back to work makin` babies!

Thanks Graham...

D

Moon
04-30-2009, 05:05 PM
How did you treat it. Did you apply it directly to the affected area?

Eddie
04-30-2009, 06:06 PM
Do you have a picture Daniel?

Eddie

silent_thunder
04-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Do you have a picture Daniel?

EddieI will have one witrhin a day or two...

Roxanne...<whistles> I need help with the pics to be posted...AgAiN

Roxanne
04-30-2009, 07:53 PM
email them to me...

silent_thunder
04-30-2009, 09:52 PM
email them to me...

yes Ma'am....<g>

Thanks...

Roxanne
04-30-2009, 11:33 PM
I need Renee's little bondage emoticon here...

here ya go...I have to get some work done now :)

silent_thunder
04-30-2009, 11:44 PM
I need Renee's little bondage emoticon here...

here ya go...I have to get some work done now :)

I have that emotion and a FEW more hahaha:D

Thx for posting the pick....

Eddie
05-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Cut that fin, there are some instructions. I will post you the link.

Eddie

Eddie
05-01-2009, 12:52 AM
Actually it seems the article has been removed.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=52390&highlight=haircut

There is an article in Andrew Soh's book that I use. Basically, you cut just before the tear using surgical scissors or very sharp scissors. I wipe the scissors with rubbing alcohol and cut. I use a q-tip dabbed with a product called bio bandage and lightly touch the cut area. Then I flop th fish back in the tank. I have repaired over 6 fishes fins from damage that was done before I had them. Even tail fins that developed unshapely prior to me recieving them. I have cut those fins and they grew back straight! ;)

Eddie

silent_thunder
05-01-2009, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=basshead;528680]Actually it seems the article has been removed.

There is an article in Andrew Soh's book that I use. Basically, you cut just before the tear using surgical scissors or very sharp scissors. I wipe the scissors with rubbing alcohol and cut. I use a q-tip dabbed with a product called bio bandage and lightly touch the cut area. Then I flop th fish back in the tank. I have repaired over 6 fishes fins from damage that was done before I had them. Even tail fins that developed unshapely prior to me recieving them. I have cut those fins and they grew back straight! ;)

Eddie[/QUOT

I was thinking lastnight I was just gonna snip it off...

I should have been a dr:D

I will look for some bio bandage...I may have to wait a wait 10 days as I am going to the city then to find that ...will it keep eating away?

silent_thunder
05-01-2009, 10:45 AM
How did you treat it. Did you apply it directly to the affected area?

Yes I dabbed basically from behind his gills all the way back to his tail...

silent_thunder
05-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Actually it seems the article has been removed.

Eddie

Eddie is the bio bandage like a liquid adhesive? I fould something in one of my medicine packs they use on humans called mastisol...liquid adhesive...of course its very sterile but usued on humans...nice having a son as a nurse but he forgot the scissors...I have a pair sharp enough but will soon have sugical ones:D

Thanks

Graham
05-01-2009, 04:24 PM
http://uskoi.com/bio-bandage.htm

You can also use something like polysporin on a wound and then seal it using powder denture adhesive....Granny might like it missing but it works:D

silent_thunder
05-02-2009, 03:07 PM
http://uskoi.com/bio-bandage.htm

You can also use something like polysporin on a wound and then seal it using powder denture adhesive....Granny might like it missing but it works:D

Grannys gone but she DID live till she was 102!

I got part of his tail cut off...it was like oh man...here we go!:D

Thanks for all the help, I will watch him closely as what I used to seal the wound came off rahter quickly...I think he will do fine just as he is...

AGain Thx

DR. Daniel:bandana:

Daniella
05-14-2009, 04:02 PM
Does it bleed when you cut it?

2 of mine recently lost half ot their tail to a disease and after a few permanganate potassium baths, it has regrow after only a few days.

Grannys gone but she DID live till she was 102!

I got part of his tail cut off...it was like oh man...here we go!:D

Thanks for all the help, I will watch him closely as what I used to seal the wound came off rahter quickly...I think he will do fine just as he is...

AGain Thx

DR. Daniel:bandana:

Eddie
05-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Does it bleed when you cut it?

2 of mine recently lost half ot their tail to a disease and after a few permanganate potassium baths, it has regrow after only a few days.

Fins don't bleed, and you do NOT cut the hard rays.

Eddie