PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Questions / Dust in my tank?

DLock3d
05-01-2009, 11:20 AM
So I got this new tank and I've been doing a fishless cycle. I guess when I first set it up I didn't wipe it down well enough. I definitely wiped it down, I'm just thinking I didn't do it well.

There looks to be a very fine layer of dust at the bottom of the tank. The walls don't seem to have this problem but the bottom does. It's a BB tank and the only things I've added are two sponge filters a heater and some ammonia to start cycling the tank. I did a 100% water change yesterday and the damn stuff is still there. I was thinking getting a HOB might solve my problem and stirring up the bottom so it would filter through but I'm not sure.

Has anyone had this experience before?

kenhappen2u
05-01-2009, 12:37 PM
keep the filter media wet wipe everything down and drain the tank then wipe down again , then refill the tank add your ammonia back to where it should be , as long as your doing a fishless cycle then you wont have to worry about starting all over , the (the cycle) has to do with your filter , not the water .

Hope this helps....Ken

Graham
05-01-2009, 04:09 PM
How much sediment is in your tap water?

DLock3d
05-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Hey Gram,

The answer to your question is, I don't know.
I've never actually been asked this before but I have another 55G BB tank and have had no problems with this in the past.

Graham
05-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Is it BB...are there enough fish to keep sediment up in the water column.

Fill a big glass from the tap and see whast settles overnight..My in-laws water is sludge...see it in my scotch;):D

DLock3d
05-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Glenlivet? Ha ha... Both tanks are BB. First tank has 6 Discus 11 Columbia Tetra and 6 Cories. No problem with water from tap into that tank and I try to do 70% + everyday. New tank is where the problem is. I'm fairly confident it's because I didn't wipe the stupid thing down well enough. It sat at Petsmart since Christmas so I'm sure there was a lot more dust then I expected. I've emptied the tank again and I'm going to wipe it down with a towel instead of Paper towels this time and see if I can get things rolling cleanly. <3 for the thoughts. Stop putting ice in your scotch. That's like people pouring sparkling water over ice.

DLock3d
05-01-2009, 08:39 PM
100th Post, I wanted to get it out of the way. lol

Roxanne
05-02-2009, 07:50 PM
:balloon: