PDA

View Full Version : Realized I might have made some booboos...

carriej
05-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Hi guys,

So recently I went out and bought a brand spanking new 55 gallon, and a 20 gallon. For both with stands, and lighting, filtration, etc it came to around 1000. Here's the catch...

I just seem to have discovered that by reading this forum that 55 gallons is nowhere near the size I would want for keeping Discus.

I am pretty upset because I have a saltwater aquarium, I have a freshwater community... It's what I really wanted was a sparsely planted discus tank. I'm more about the rocks and the driftwood with a few live plants.

I had been told that I could "grow out" my Discus in the 20 gallon and then move them into the 55 gallon. I was told to leave the 20 gallon bare bottom, and do water changes everyday with feedings around 4 times per day. I only want around 4 Discus.

So help me out here.. What can I do with what I've got? I've already invested a lot here, and if I had of known the difference I wouldn't have done it. I've just kept fish for years now and didn't realize how specific discus were. I see them at Pets Unlimited so I didn't figure they were super sensitive as they seem to be described here.

gotfish?
05-01-2009, 09:09 PM
i think your pretty much set on what you have right now. i would grow out to about 5 if you were only thinking of getting 4 in your 55. grow them out then after about a year, plant the tank like crazy. all you really need when growing out is your 55, a filter and heater and your golden. you could probably sell the 20gal since i dont think you would really need that unless you want it as a QT tank. hope i helped:D:D have a good one

DonMD
05-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Well, I started out with Discus in small tanks, and kept getting bigger ones over the years. I've had successes, and failures. The general rule is 1 Discus per 10 gallons of water. Right now I have a 90 gallon tank with 8 large Discus, and some misc. tetras and plecos.

With what you have, I'd say, put your 4 fish in, and enjoy. I think that you won't have any problem with just 4 fish in 55 gallons, they should get up to 6 inches or more.

Water quality is key. Frequent water changes with aged or treated water are a must. Same temperature going in as coming out.

Anyway, now I'm going to move from my 90 gallon to either a 125 or a 135.

Are you sure you want to go down this road ? ? ?:D:D:D

Have fun! -Don

Scribbles
05-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Personaly I would get 5 discus (to spread out aggression) and raise them in the 55. Keep the 20 for hospital/QT. JMO

Chris

Roxanne
05-01-2009, 10:59 PM
...a boo boo? what boo boo? Carrie, a boo boo is when you buy the discus FIRST before you find out what you are in for...in my book you're doing it the right way which is exactly the opposite of what I did..I thought cichlids were all the same:o....

Roxanne

DiscusOnly
05-01-2009, 11:36 PM
You have to start somewhere...

Welcome to the discus hobby and have fun learning...

rickztahone
05-02-2009, 01:57 AM
i personally think you paid too much for the 55, i have a pretty much new 55 and i'm selling it on craigslist for 250 w/ everything minus stand. still, you have not committed the "boo boo" that most on here commit when first starting out so your ahead of the curve. put 6 in the 55 and then take it from there. more than likely you will end up getting at least a 90, trust me!

carriej
05-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Hi Guys,

I live in the middle of nowhere and had to special order in the 55 as no stores carry them in stock for retail as the fish hobby isn't big here. Not to mention I'm in Canada, and everything is more expensive here :p, so with shipping and all that.. Not to mention 200.00 for a filter, that's where it got me. My stand was expensive also. I had it custom made by a local carpenter because ordering one in and paying for shipping would be close to 500.00 with a canopy.

I knew as soon as I got my 55 into my home that someday I would want a bigger aquarium down the road. In a few years time I will probably be upgrading again!

I forgot to mention however -- that this 55 is already set up (that's why I was going to use the 20 for grow out, which I realize now is too small) and It already has sand, some plants, rocks, driftwood, etc... It's in my Living room on a bare wall. I've been told that Discus will not grow in a tank that has these things. Why won't they?

I could always buy bigger Discus (which I'm realizing may be the best option) But how much could I expect to spend on adult discus?

Kindredspirit
05-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Carrie, welcome to Simply! I raised 12 discus in my 55gal at one time ~ it is all about starting with good stock, water changes and maintain housekeeping, really!

I would get the basics down before you think of a planted tank ~ you will be fine!

Good Luck, woman!!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_2491Small.jpg
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f389/MidnightKiss4u/IMG_2484Small.jpg

http://www.cyphos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20221&page=5

http://www.cyphos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18044&page=6

poconogal
05-02-2009, 07:50 AM
You can grow out and keep 6 Discus in a 55. I'd grow them out BB first though and once they are larger, add in the wood/plants. BB is much better for growout due to the heavy feedings and WCs you'll be doing to grow out nice, big Discus. If you want to purchase adults, depending on where you buy them and the quality, they can run US $100 and up on average. You can always remove what you have in the 55 for now, grow out the juvies, then add back in what you want. I have a 75 gal., BB, adult Discus, with just a nice big driftwood centerpiece. Easy to maintain and it looks great, with the fish being the stars of the tank.

Your 20 gal. is a good QT/hospital tank.

carriej
05-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone seems very pleasant and eager to help which is very reassuring.

About how quick do Discus grow? And how big should they be before I begin adding Substrate? Most of the ones I see for sale are around 2.5-3 inches. How big should daily water changes be? I could probably dedicate around 45 minutes a day for cleaning, hope that is enough.

Also, after the tank is established and the discus are large, could I get away with 2 water changes a week?

Thanks guys!