PDA

View Full Version : For those that have done fishless cycle...

silent_thunder
05-02-2009, 06:25 PM
Day number 8

Ammonia 5-7mg/l

Everytime I check for nitrites it shows 0 but if I look at the stick, like I did today it showed around 3.0ppm...

I dont understand what a nitrite spike is....seems to me a spike means wayyyyyyyy up there.

That being said the mans article also says once the nirite is present to start cutting back the ammonia...

I need the info in laymans terms...

Time to cut back on the amonia level yet?

Only 5 more weeks...whoopppeeeeeeeeee:bandana:

Daniel

jerbear
05-02-2009, 06:37 PM
I finished a fishless cycle about two months ago.. From my records it took me 13 days to show anytype of nitrites. The nitrites will keep climbing for a while. Keep the ammonia level to 4 ppm.. I would not go much higher than 5 ppm on the ammonia since those levels tend to stall the cycle.

Check out this link below it may help you..

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Cow_Fishless_Cycle.html

Roxanne
05-02-2009, 06:38 PM
spike in laywomans terms like a peak/surge....when the ammonia starts to be 'eaten', the nitrite will surge upwards and hit a high spot, then as it starts to be converted to nitrate, the nitrate readings will peak also, then all recedes to 0....

5-7 is a little high...don't add anything...what stick?

silent_thunder
05-02-2009, 07:19 PM
I finished a fishless cycle about two months ago.. From my records it took me 13 days to show anytype of nitrites. The nitrites will keep climbing for a while. Keep the ammonia level to 4 ppm.. I would not go much higher than 5 ppm on the ammonia since those levels tend to stall the cycle.

Check out this link below it may help you..

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Cow_Fishless_Cycle.html

Thats the article I am going by...I may need to do a water change to lower the ammonia levels...however he says you can up them from the start and it will cycle earlier...

Thanks for responding...

D

silent_thunder
05-02-2009, 07:21 PM
spike in laywomans terms like a peak/surge....when the ammonia starts to be 'eaten', the nitrite will surge upwards and hit a high spot, then as it starts to be converted to nitrate, the nitrate readings will peak also, then all recedes to 0....

5-7 is a little high...don't add anything...what stick?

A 5 in 1 sticky poo...gives you 5 differeent readings...

Should I stop adding ammonia Doris :bandana:

Or do a water change...

Thanks as always:D

Roxanne
05-02-2009, 07:53 PM
...don't add anymore...check if ammonia is going down or nitrites going up in next few days...if no movement at all, empty some water and refill with dechlored water but don't add anything else, if you are using stick tests....don't expect accuracy...treat yourself to a liquid freshwater text kit...;)

Love

Doris:D

silent_thunder
05-03-2009, 12:15 AM
...don't add anymore...check if ammonia is going down or nitrites going up in next few days...if no movement at all, empty some water and refill with dechlored water but don't add anything else, if you are using stick tests....don't expect accuracy...treat yourself to a liquid freshwater text kit...;)

Love

Doris:D

Well...ok. I have a great tetra ammonia tester with 3 different types of chmicals to add to a vial...

I like in hicksville =L= I could only find stips to use to check the nitrite...but that will soon as I am off to the city next weeked..

Lord only knows if I can stay outta the store that sells discus!

Anyways thanks Doris...I shall watch it closley....

`ave a good weekend mate:bandana: