PDA

View Full Version : White Albino Pearl

TankWatcher
05-02-2009, 08:40 PM
I tried to be strong and not buy this juvi, but my strength failed & I caved in yesterday :D

What do I feed a white albino pearl, so he doesn't turn orange.

As well as the odd spirulina brine shrimp, my main feed is home made bh. Will the fresh prawns in this make the white fish go orange. LFS said that it will.

I have a very large batch of the bh made up at the moment. If I use it & the fish goes orange, will the orange go away when that food source is changed?

At the end of the day, if he gets a pink tinge, that won't be the end of the world, but as I bought him for his whiteness, I'd like to try & preserve it, if I can.

Any suggestions on how to feed the little guy to preserve his whiteness would be appreciated?

DiscusKeeper403
05-02-2009, 09:31 PM
I think the main thing would be no spirulina and no shellfish.

Scribbles
05-02-2009, 09:44 PM
Don't know about the food. I've always had red or blue discus. But...pictures? Please...pretty please.:)

Chris

TankWatcher
05-02-2009, 11:49 PM
I think the main thing would be no spirulina and no shellfish. Hi DiscusLova - so no spirunlina either?

Here's what my bh recipe has in it:-

bh
prawns
white ocean fish
salmon
cooked spinach, carrots
peas
banana
garlic
spirulina powder

So, what should go from my next batch?

Don't know about the food. I've always had red or blue discus. But...pictures? Please...pretty please.Hi Chris, I'll take a picture soon. I think he is one of the few discus that will look better against a dark background. His QT is painted light blue on 3 sides & his pearly little body reflects that a little.

Armandi_Fishcarer
05-03-2009, 01:20 AM
Hi Robyn,

Good buy, hope all goes well for you with him/her.

Some things I wouldn't go with-out altogther but cut back.

BH 400grams - 1-2prawns Ok
White Ocean Fish - In
Salmon - Out
Cooked spinach - In, Carrots - Out
Peas - In
Bannans - In
Garlic - In (the best for use against parasites)
Spirulina powder - Cut back, 1tablespoon - use 1teaspoon, as this is fabulous for the immune system.

You don't need much spirulina in the mix. I feed mine spirulina disc every now & again & are fine.

Even if possible 2-mix, labelled with/without spirulina and fed 1-2times a week.

Fish colour changes from time to time with different types of food & colour resumes back to normal. So I think you should be ok as long as the food colour types are not on an extremely high consentrate.

Regards,
Ahmed ;)

TankWatcher
05-03-2009, 06:04 AM
Thanks all

I got a bit carried away with the pictures, so sorry it might be a bit boring.

Any additional tips with how best to feed him would be really appreciated.

Don't know how I missed this when I was picking him out of the bunch, but it looks like one of his pelvic fins may be suffered damage in the past :( as it is shorter than the other one, but abruptly so, as if by damage rather than by uneven natural growth. Does this fin repair itself?

One of my stunted alenquer discus will keep him company in his QT.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_1005.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_1008.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_1015.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_1016.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_1018.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_1019.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_1021.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_1022.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_1023.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_1024.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_1026.jpg

poconogal
05-03-2009, 06:55 AM
Robyn, good thing your strength failed, what a pretty little Discus! So white and clean!

Except for the hard rays, fins should grow back.

I've given up on keeping WBs white since they're in the tank with reds and blues and they end up eating the same food and then they get a yellowish tinge. One day I may open a tank of whites only (hmmmm, or maybe BDs and WBs) so that I can feed what they need with no red enhancement.

Eddie
05-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Wow Robyn, that IS a nice Albino. Looks super nice! Got tons of potential too. I would have bought that fish faster than I could have bought a new tank! :D Excellent buy IMO.

Best of luck with him,

Eddie

Eddie
05-03-2009, 09:35 AM
About the pelvic fins, Andrew Soh told me to cut them both and if they grow back uneven, don't breed the fish. If you are not worried about breeding it, than no issues. I cut my fishes pelvic fins, just after the hard rays of the pelvic fins and they grew back uneven again. It's my little leopard, thats not so little anymore. Its a beautiful fish but it was recommended to me that I should not breed this fish. Oh well, guess you gotta bite the bullet sometimes. I didn't notice mine because I bought this fish while it was still in the bag. Couldn't see anything wrong through the bag. :(

Eddie

Scribbles
05-03-2009, 12:09 PM
WOW! That's one gorgeous discus Robyn. I don't know how you were able to resist buying him/her for so long. Thanks for the pics.

Chris

gotfish?
05-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Albino Pearl Diamond?? i thought it was called albino blue diamond? or platinum??:confused:

fish4fun
05-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Nice looking fish.
There is an LSF in Calgary that has some....very pricy though for a 2" fish.

namasgt
05-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Robyn, good thing your strength failed, what a pretty little Discus! So white and clean!

Except for the hard rays, fins should grow back.

I've given up on keeping WBs white since they're in the tank with reds and blues and they end up eating the same food and then they get a yellowish tinge. One day I may open a tank of whites only (hmmmm, or maybe BDs and WBs) so that I can feed what they need with no red enhancement.

if you stop feeding them color enhancing food, will they go back to white?

Rod
05-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Great looking discus Robyn, very nice. :)

TankWatcher
05-03-2009, 04:59 PM
Albino Pearl Diamond?? i thought it was called albino blue diamond? or platinum??No, wasn't called either of those. The LFS had albino blue diamonds, but they still had a blue tinge to their body. By the time I went back to buy this guy, the albino blue diamonds were all sold. This fish didn't have "Diamond" in his name, according to LFS.

Yassmeena
05-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Hey Robyn,

Your fish is beautiful! Congratulations!

I found a youtube video with a tank full of fish that look just wayyyyy too similar to be anything other than the strain you purchased!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0d0aaW2H2w&feature=related

TankWatcher
05-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Hi All :)

Robyn, good thing your strength failed, what a pretty little Discus! So white and clean! ….. I've given up on keeping WBs white since they're in the tank with reds and blues and they end up eating the same food and then they get a yellowish tinge. One day I may open a tank of whites only (hmmmm, or maybe BDs and WBs) so that I can feed what they need with no red enhancement. Thanks Connie. I asked the food Q on another discus forum & I’m being told there that with solid white albino, unless I feed hormone colour enhancers, natural colour food won’t turn him yellow as it would do for an albino with a yellow tinge or for WB. I’m asking why at the moment, but I’m happy to hear this news.

Wow Robyn, that IS a nice Albino. Looks super nice! Got tons of potential too. I would have bought that fish faster than I could have bought a new tank! :D Excellent buy IMO.
WOW! That's one gorgeous discus Robyn. I don't know how you were able to resist buying him/her for so long.

Nice looking fish.
There is an LSF in Calgary that has some....very pricy though for a 2" fish Without counting the tail, he is probably around 3.5” to 4”max, but he was still very pricey. That was the reason I hesitated for a week before I bought him – otherwise he would have been in my tank from the 1st day I saw him. I think this LFS could charge so much because this type is rarely available here. Plenty of solid white – but not ones with his albino eye. It will be just my luck that in the next few months, the market will be flooded with them & there will be a price crash – oh well. I love him, so too bad. So far, I’ve only had one negative comment about him (not from this forum).

Great looking discus Robyn, very nice. :) Thanks 

Your fish is beautiful! Congratulations! I found a YouTube video with a tank full of fish that look just wayyyyy too similar to be anything other than the strain you purchased Thanks Yas, I will check that utube out. Thanks for the link.

I cut my fishes pelvic fins, just after the hard rays of the pelvic fins and they grew back uneven again. Just not sure I have the nerve to do that, Eddie. Maybe you can fly out & do it for me ;)

Eddie
05-03-2009, 09:28 PM
You can do it Robyn, easy as pie. I've done so much trimming these days, it really is nothing and you'll be happy with the results, unless they do grow uneven.

I've had some fish with some AWFUL tail fins that I cut and now they are PERFECT. It's really wierd because you would think they grow back the same. Im pretty much set on the water quality as the fish developed at a young age. Maybe the time in tanks where they were raised. Either way, they are picture perfect now. ;)

Eddie

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-04-2009, 12:26 PM
yas, that youtube video is soooooo awesome! I would kill for a tank full of those guys, they look SO nice. robyn if your turns out like that you should have nothing to worry about, shorter fin or not :p:D;)

Yassmeena
05-04-2009, 08:12 PM
yas, that youtube video is soooooo awesome! I would kill for a tank full of those guys, they look SO nice. robyn if your turns out like that you should have nothing to worry about, shorter fin or not :p:D;)

The only thing to worry about would be where to get a breeding partner! ;)

Yasmin

TankWatcher
05-04-2009, 11:51 PM
I enjoyed the youtube, thanks Yas.

Daren (A1 Aquarium) also gave linked me to it, because before I bought "Snow" I asked for his & Rod's advice.

Jason, thanks so much for the nice comment. So far, only one person has told me they don't like him (not here) so I'm pretty happy with the feedback.
The only thing to worry about would be where to get a breeding partner! Ah, I wish I could get Snow a partner, but it really broke the budget getting one. The LFS had a few more, but once they're gone - well, I've never seen them around before.

Will have to start scheming.

seanyuki
05-05-2009, 01:32 AM
Hi Robyn,

I think Nicholas Khoo call those AWP...albino white platinum in Malaysia....I would love to have in my tanks too.

Cheers
Francis:)

Diamond Discus
05-05-2009, 05:34 AM
WOW! That's one gorgeous discus Robyn. I don't know how you were able to resist buying him/her for so long. Thanks for the pics.

ChrisI agree with Scribbles. That is a very beautiful fish. I'm thinking black background and white sand would be stunning with a tank full of those. Congratulations of caving in and buying the fish.

TankWatcher
05-05-2009, 08:02 AM
black background and white sand would be stunning with a tank full of those.oh, please don't torture me. You don't know how much I would love to see that in my tank.

When he is all grown up (I guess about another 8 months or so) he will move into the planted tank, which has black background, a sandy front & two planted areas with lots of green. I think he will be a nice contrast.

This will be his eventual home
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_0987.jpg

Diamond Discus
05-05-2009, 03:14 PM
I just ripped my black background off this morning. It made my blues look almost black. Right now I have an off white tablecloth on the back and it looks good, looks like I'm about to set the table. LOL

The fish are more natural colored now, even though I still have black substrate.

But if I had those whities....it would have stayed on!!!!

Darren's Discus
05-05-2009, 06:15 PM
very nice fish Robyn !;)

cheers

Armandi_Fishcarer
05-09-2009, 07:59 AM
Awsome looking fish & tank, Robyn

The shop you purshaced the fish from I think could make the tanks look a little more appealing for his customers so prices match quality of fish. They are after all the King of Aquaria.

All the best with him/her in the future.

Regards
Ahmed ;)

TankWatcher
05-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Awsome looking fish & tank, Robyn

The shop you purshaced the fish from I think could make the tanks look a little more appealing for his customers so prices match quality of fish. They are after all the King of Aquaria.

All the best with him/her in the future.

Regards
Ahmed ;)

Hi Ahmed

Thanks for your comments. So you've been there, know his price & so you probably understand why I hesitated for a week before biting the bullet & bringing him home.

I hope more of these become available soon, so maybe the price can be made more reasonable.

Thanks for the good wishes with him.

(You weren't by chance the hobbyist at the LFS at the time, who was giving me a little help in making my choice of which albino to bring home?)

AquatiCreations
05-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Wow, I had to put my sunglasses on for that one :cool:!

That fish is supernova, very nice!

keef
05-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Robyn,
What were you thinking buying that fish! You should have left it in the shop.... so I could have bought it!!!!!

Seriously, that is a great looking little fish (and fwiw you did the right thing buying it, I'd have got him in a heartbeat). He has a great shape for a juvie too and very very white colouration which seems to be hard to find. I think if you can get them this colour as juvies you are on to a winner as they will only get more solid white as they get older. A bit like that thread Eddie started recently with the uber expensive white Japanese fish.

Awesome fish but post a warning next time as I think I have gone snowblind looking at the pics !
Keith

Darren's Discus
05-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Robyn,
I have loved this strain since i saw this pic of Tony Tan's fish in 2006.http://www.discusnews.com/worldshows/duisburg06/winners/open.shtml

cheers

TankWatcher
05-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Thanks all,

I was almost going to get another today, but there was a 15% discount on the day I bought the one I have (it was the stores 2nd year anniversary or something) and that special was over. I would have to pay another $50 on top of the original purchase price. So again, I have hesitated. Keith, if you're interested I can pm the store & price to you. Maybe they can ship. I warn you that I think I already picked the best from the tank (I stood in front of that tank for an hour trying to pick the perfect one - & I still missed the damaged fin)

Sort of glad I did hesitate today though, as tonight I noticed white stringy poop from both him & the previously healthy hero fish I have in there keeping him company.

Out with the levamisole now I guess. Wish me luck. So far, levamisole has always saved a fish with these poops before, so I hope this will be another success.

Darren, that fish does look very similar. Does that mean they might be available through you at some stage, as you import Tony Tan, I think???? Might be the refection, but mine doesn't have the yellow tinge near tail or fin base, nor on the lips. Will wait to see what my food might do to him, but as of now he is truely a pure white. Any hint of blue you might see on him is a reflection from the blue painted walls - there's no colour on him at all.

poconogal
05-10-2009, 09:45 AM
Robyn, I think it would be nice to have 2 of those white beauties... :D if you don't get another one I think you may regret it later... :) Can't you ask the store to extend their special to you since you already bought one from them?

TankWatcher
05-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Robyn, I think it would be nice to have 2 of those white beauties... :D if you don't get another one I think you may regret it later... :) Can't you ask the store to extend their special to you since you already bought one from them? I already did that today over the phone. The fish at full price are AU$324. I paid AU$270. He said there was only one I could have now at the price of $270 - the smallest in the tank & he said it had some sort of white dot on it's tail

But I am so weak - I thought I had made up my mind & your comment has me having 2nd thoughts again. There is a little argument going on in my head

good Robyn: "too expensive - don't do it"

bad Robyn: "if you don't get another - you may regret it later & then Connie will say I told you so :p "

poconogal
05-10-2009, 01:04 PM
....good Robyn: "too expensive - don't do it"

bad Robyn: "if you don't get another - you may regret it later & then Connie will say I told you so :p "
Nah, I won't say told you so, but you know I'll think it! ;) :D:D:D

Actually, I just know how I am myself, and I did that recently with an absolutely gorgeous, clean/spotless, round like a hockey puck Silver Pidgeon that Sunrise Tropicals had just gotten in. I went back and forth so long (about 2 days) and by the time I said I wanted it, found it had already been sold earlier that day. Had I just done it when I saw it, that fish would be swimming in my tank now. :(

TankWatcher
05-10-2009, 06:21 PM
Well, maybe I will go and have another look.

TankWatcher
05-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Hi again

I'll have no way of knowing, if I'm buying a male & female (if I buy one, that is). There was one fish in the tank who everyone thought was a male by it's behaviour and they thought that by the way he behaved around mine, that mine is a girl. He was staying near her & seemed to be keeping others away. Male or female, it was the dominant discus. The suspected male had a beautiful shape - until you got to his forehead - there is a slight hump.

What's more important:-

a) picking the one that has a chance to be boy (but might not be) so that he might pair with my fish (which he seemed to like) which might be a girl (but might not be) or

b) staying away from the one with the slight hump on his forehead?

Any advice anyone?

poconogal
05-10-2009, 09:13 PM
I'd go for the one with the slight hump if his shape was that great and everything else, fins, eyes were nice.

TankWatcher
05-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks Connie

Does a slight hump become more pronounced as a juvi grows to adulthood?

poconogal
05-11-2009, 05:35 AM
I think it would probably grow in direct proportion to the fish, I don't think the slight bump will grow at/to a disproportionate rate/size. I recently bought a large adult, about 6.5 inches, a full red MR. He is super round and fat and has a slight bump before the dorsal too but the rest of him, especially his total red coloration (with not a speck of pepper either) is great so I overlooked the slight bump. But even with his size, the bump is still slight.

keef
05-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Hey Robyn!
Thanks for the offering the details - I'm a real sucker for white Discus, but I'll have to pass for now as Rod is hooking me up with some juvies in the next few weeks & I am gonna have all my work cut out with those little guys when they arrive, I have tanks cycling everywhere I look at the moment!

As for the other little guy with the slight hump, if you can afford it I'd say go for it, then when they pair up you can send all the babies this way!!!!!!!! :D

You said you noticed white poop, is everything else ok? He is feeding well and everything right? Sounds like you have it all under control anyways. Come to think of it, white poop from a white discus must look kinda cool...?

TankWatcher
05-11-2009, 07:28 AM
The little guy with the hump is swimming in QT with with other white one. He wasn't necessarily the best left at LFS. Shape is good (except for the hump) but the eyes aren't quite as solidly red. I took a while choosing, as there were some smaller ones with good solid red eyes. I chose him/her (him I hope) because of how I remembered his interaction with my existing one. When I floated his bag in the tank, the existing white one & the other QT buddy hid behind the air filter. But when I dropped & plopped the new guy in the tank, the existing white came swimming straight out & they sort of bumped noses. Like he/she (she I hope) recognised him in some way & was welcoming him back to her company. It was sort of cute.
white poop from a white discus must look kinda cool...? Nope, white discus poop is never cool. I waited until the new guy moved in, added the levamisole & the tank is now covered & in darkness. So no pictures for at least 2 days. I hope this works out ok. I've not had a fatality with this type of poop as yet, so I feel fairly confident that all wil be ok.

Connie, LFS tells me that soon a bunch of these white fish of mine are headed for the USA (if not already there). He says he tried to order more, and the breeder said the next three months supply have been pre ordered for the USA.

Connie have you put up pictures of your new guy.

Keith, looking forward to seeing your juvies from Rod. What strain are you getting?

poconogal
05-11-2009, 11:49 AM
The two will look gorgeous swimming together in your tank, Robyn! Glad you got another one. Haven't put any new pics of the latest guys, Big Red, the MR, or Pearl, the WB. Only pics are those from the day I received them from Fed Ex on 3/20. I'll get around to it, eventually, LOL! Pearl paired up with my Eruption on her second day in the main tank. They are still cleaning the filter tube, no eggs yet.

Scribbles
05-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Congratulations Robyn! Those discus will look so stunning in your tank. Can't wait for more pictures when they are ready for it. I'm glad you got another. Besides all women need a string of pearls.

Chris