PDA

View Full Version : Good steel shelving....

machine77
05-03-2009, 12:41 AM
im in the process of building a small fish room in my garage and i was wondering if anyone knows what type of steel shelving i could use that are sturdy and trusted... there will be two 29g on top and two 75g on the bottom.. thanks so much, just thinking it would save me time instead of building my own.. i rather go with something some one has tried and works true then something from homedepot or lowes that will brake and give me problems!! thanks :)
nolan

Jhhnn
05-03-2009, 02:39 AM
Dunno about any particular brand, but some industrial pallet racks/ shelving might be what you want. There are several beam and upright systems that are boltless and enormously strong. In a place like Long Beach, you can probably buy it used, save some money. A few calls to local industrial suppliers should reveal multiple sources...

Google "Industrial shelving long beach"

DiscusOnly
05-03-2009, 09:53 AM
The last time I checked HD and Lowes, they don't have any of those high capacity steel shelves over 72" wide. It's not wide enough for 2 75 gallons. I would go with building a shelf out of 2x4. Just build 2 separate stand that is 50" wide. You can definitely do it under $50 if you have the basic tools.

seanyuki
05-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Just sharing...

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200333439_200333439

http://www.gorillarack.com/index_invid.htm

Cheers
Francis:)

alpine
05-03-2009, 10:23 AM
I visited Sams a month ago and they had some very interesting shelf systems available .

Roberto.

Don Trinko
05-03-2009, 03:40 PM
the steel shelves I have seen I would not trust with the weight of an aquarium. Don T.

Jhhnn
05-03-2009, 06:20 PM
the steel shelves I have seen I would not trust with the weight of an aquarium. Don T.

For the most part, I'd agree- that's why I offered up the idea of industrial pallet racks. They're enormously strong- where I work, we routinely store rail parts weighing thousands of pounds way up high, with no qualms or failures at all...

It's obviously important to observe the load rating for any system, which is part of the specs on industrial shelving- with homebuilt stuff, we're really just guessing for the most part... I've seen some pretty scary stuff holding up aquariums, though...

machine77
05-03-2009, 09:16 PM
ya i hear ya there.. i found the steel shelving we have at work online, we have at least 1000 pounds per shelve on there so i know they'll work, just gonna cut a peace of plywood to go over the metal wire gride. thanks so much for your help!!

Darrell Ward
05-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Like Francis posted, Northern Tool has steel shelving in many sizes and load ratings. If I ever get around to installing a heating/cooling system in my workshop, it will become my fish house with pallet racks from them. I personally think pallet racks make the best tank racks around. You can fill them with 125gal. tanks and larger with no worries at all.

Eddie
05-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Like Francis posted, Northern Tool has steel shelving in many sizes and load ratings. If I ever get around to installing a heating/cooling system in my workshop, it will become my fish house with pallet racks from them. I personally think pallet racks make the best tank racks around. You can fill them with 125gal. tanks and larger with no worries at all.

Those pallet racks do look pretty good but would it be cost effective compared to building your own rack from wood. I do really like those pallet racks. Looks like you can do all kinds of plumbing attachments without drilling a single hole!

Thanks for the tip Darrell

Eddie

korbi_doc
05-07-2009, 09:18 PM
I have steel shelving from Global Industries in Ga & love it...it is so superior to the regular gorilla racks....heavier, more durable..can't say enough 'bout it....you can't go wrong....I have a thread on here bout the problems I had with the racks from HD, think it's under gorilla racks....take a look....then you'll understand why I went to Global...sorry, having trouble writing, just had a hand surgery....

Dottie

http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/cat/info/1570/sub/8/category.web?&REQ_SUB_CAT=Extra+Heavy+Duty

if this link doesn't work..copy paste or just input the name

Darrell Ward
05-07-2009, 09:50 PM
Eddie, the pallet racks might cost more, but not to the point of not being cost effective I don't think. I haven't priced the racks, or the cost of lumber recently. I can say for certain that pallet racks are far superior to racks made of wood. I use to work at company that used industrial pallet racks bolted to a concrete floor. They are made to store heavy materials stacked on pallets, and they were constantly moving loads of thousands of pounds on and off these things with fork lifts. They never even swayed or wobbled, and they had been in use for years. It sold me on them.

Eddie
05-07-2009, 09:52 PM
Eddie, the pallet racks might cost more, but not to the point of not being cost effective I don't think. I haven't priced the racks, or the cost of lumber recently. I can say for certain that pallet racks are far superior to racks made of wood. I use to work at company that used industrial pallet racks bolted to a concrete floor. They are made to store heavy materials stacked on pallets, and they were constantly moving loads of thousands of pounds on and off these things with fork lifts. They never even swayed or wobbled, and they had been in use for years. It sold me on them.

Sounds pretty good, something for the future. ;)

Thanks,

Eddie