PDA

View Full Version : Staples?

AquatiCreations
05-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to attach some Java fern to some driftwood, and it's near impossible to tie it down,I was reading that some people use staples to attach it with,when they rust could they cause problems for the discus?

Eddie
05-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Hey guys,

I'm trying to attach some Java fern to some driftwood, and it's near impossible to tie it down,I was reading that some people use staples to attach it with,when they rust could they cause problems for the discus?

Yes, can you use some fishing line instead?

Eddie

AquatiCreations
05-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Eddie, I've tried my hardest to do so but the posistion it is in it's just to akward, I need an alternative solution that requires less manual dexterity.

Eddie
05-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Eddie, I've tried my hardest to do so but the posistion it is in it's just to akward, I need an alternative solution that requires less manual dexterity.

I must not have any of that! LOL

Eddie

AquatiCreations
05-06-2009, 07:21 PM
LOL!

You see the thing is we put the wood in the tank for a test fit,it fits snug and was kind of difficult to coax in, so we dont want to take it out. And i'm up on a six foot ladder trying to tie some java fern on when I found out that the task of tying it on was next to impossible!

Eddie
05-06-2009, 07:30 PM
LOL!

You see the thing is we put the wood in the tank for a test fit,it fits snug and was kind of difficult to coax in, so we dont want to take it out. And i'm up on a six foot ladder trying to tie some java fern on when I found out that the task of tying it on was next to impossible!

How big is the tank? Go for a swim!

Eddie

AquatiCreations
05-06-2009, 07:35 PM
How big is the tank? Go for a swim!

Eddie

Pshhh! I wish, I was thinking maybe wire ties, but that would mean I would have to go back in and cut them all off!

TankWatcher
05-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Let us know if you find a solution, as I'm curious. I have only ever tied it on with fishing line. I've heard of some people on a planted forum saying they attach it with super glue, but you can't do that under water. Plus, the people who did it said that the part where they used the glue - the plant died. Not the whole plant, just that part where the glue touches.

AquatiCreations
05-06-2009, 09:03 PM
I just tried again... as I mentioned in another thread I'm an avid fisherman, it would figure that I would have the most invisible,translucent,disappear in front of your face while you're trying to tie java moss on,fishing line :flame: .. argh!

Wahter
05-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Some people have used staples, wire ties, string, and rubber bands!

Good luck!

Walter

mcsinny99
05-06-2009, 10:06 PM
I have used crazy glue, it has to be the gel to be safe.

AquatiCreations
05-06-2009, 10:29 PM
I have used crazy glue, it has to be the gel to be safe.

Can crazy glue gel be applied underwater?

Bobears
05-06-2009, 10:38 PM
I've used that plastic coated metal floral tie stuff. It's malleable as can be and comes in green.

cmich
05-06-2009, 10:40 PM
I have a friend who has been in the hobby for quite some time, and he used staples to attach his java fern to a very large piece of driftwood that took up almost an entire 200 gallon tank. The wood was too big to securely tie or rubberband it on in any way. It's been a year now, and the tank is still doing great. Not scientific evidence but just wanted to pass along someone elses experiance with staples. Good luck.

Blake

AquatiCreations
05-06-2009, 10:43 PM
Well, there is a base question that should be asked under all of this, Are heavy metals such as iron harmfull to discus?

mcsinny99
05-06-2009, 10:46 PM
http://tagaplus.com/

Huh?:D

AquatiCreations
05-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Oooo, nice find mcsinny. Only question is, can they penetrate an oak log...

mcsinny99
05-07-2009, 12:49 AM
You tell me I use thread.;)
Never had your conundrum. Good luck though.

cmich
05-07-2009, 02:56 AM
mcsinny- awesome link. That could be very useful to someone, thanks for sharing.

Blake

Fons_van_der_Hart
05-07-2009, 04:23 AM
Well, there is a base question that should be asked under all of this, Are heavy metals such as iron harmfull to discus?

Iron is not harmfull to Discus.

It's used very often in planted tanks without any harm for any kind of fish at all.
Besides that with the regular water changing regime you have to do with Discus there won't be much traces of Iron found in the water.

wannafish
05-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Hey!

I was browsing this thread. Funny!
I got an idea. Why not use the plastic
lock ties at Home Depot. You wrap it
around feed it through and lock.
Just try and hide it in between the
Java leaves, so you don't see it.
I see one problem. You are trying to
work in the water and tie knots with
fishing line on a ladder. Very cumbersome!
Why not take the plant and driftwood out
and tie it at a table. It's hard to manage
a line of thread in the water. I know, I
have tried it

AquatiCreations
05-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Well guys guess who went to Lowe's this morning and bought some plastic zip ties :D

All java ferns are firmly attached I just gotta go back and cut em' off in a few months.

jonboy1969
05-07-2009, 01:55 PM
not that it matters much anymore but Ive used galvanized staples in my home made divider, ive had no signs of rust and I just put it back in the tank for the second time. they are about 3x the price of regular steel staples but I think they are worth it. Im using a T50 size staple, Arrow brand.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=70707

mcsinny99
05-07-2009, 02:13 PM
I didn't think metal would rust until it exposed to air. :confused:
Oh well, good thinking on the zip ties.

jonboy1969
05-07-2009, 02:21 PM
all metals that reacts to oxygen or (rust) will eventually (rust) or oxidize above or underwater (fresh or salt).

AquatiCreations
05-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Lol, I didn't know they made them galvanized,or i would have picked some up, the zip ties are black so they're somewhat inconspicuous.

Oh and metal oxidizes which creates rust,and if you recall water is made of 2 parts hydrogen,1 part oxygen. ;)

cc_woman
05-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Probably won't be able to use zipties with all pieces of driftwood though. You can pick up thread or string, problem is they break up after a while in the water. I just use fishing line and I have never had any issues with it, although it is hard to tie nice and tight unless you have someone sticking their finger in the hole and holding it down (just like when wrapping ribbon on a present). Were you trying to tie it while under the water? Best to take the whole piece of wood and plant out and do it on a table or something, makes it much easier :D

If you get stainless steel staples, they don't rust (but don't know if they make them or not)

AquatiCreations
05-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I just used the zip ties for the sake of convenience, I was trying to attach the plants to the wood underwater,because it would have been most inconvienient to take the wood out of the tank,(my back still aches from putting it in!) All in all it worked out, I just have to go back in and get them out when the roots attach.

cc_woman
05-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Good plan :) It must be a big piece of wood :p

AquatiCreations
05-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Good plan :) It must be a big piece of wood :p

Oh you know it, but the size wasn't the problem, it was the limited space between the tank rim, and the ceiling,the on top of that you add the cumbersome glass brace in the center. :p

Apistomaster
05-10-2009, 12:27 PM
I used staples to attach Java Moss and Anubias to the large pieces of wood in my 125 gal Discus tank. I also used a few Black Zip ties where they were practical. My wood is large diameter small logs. I used some small pieces of black, coarse nylon netting stapled in place to hold the Java Moss in position and eventually the moss completely conceals any signs of the netting.
The staples will eventually corrode away and do not pose any threat to the health of the fish or plants.

discusjoe27
05-10-2009, 01:35 PM
rubber band?