PDA

View Full Version : NEED SOME ADVICE ON A NEW 125 GAL!!

bettebulldog
05-06-2009, 10:33 PM
So i just got a used 125 gal tank for 80 bones. 6'x2'x18"

wondering how to give a good cleaning and sanitizing? what products work the best etc.

also there is a couple scratches on the back. Does anyone know of any product to remove scratches from glass.

And what kind of paint do you guys use to paint backgrounds. just regular spraypaint or is there any special kind for glass.

thanks for any help.

Eddie
05-06-2009, 11:02 PM
Great deal, thats really good.

I use a water/bleach solution to wipe everything really good and then rinse it really good and then fill the tank with water and 4X the amount of dechlor. I will let it sit for most of the day and rinse again.

I use regular Krylon spraypaint used for indoor/outdoor use. Works like a charm!

Eddie

AquatiCreations
05-06-2009, 11:07 PM
Also, if you're going to paint the back kground I wouldn't bother trying to take out the scratches,they wont show anyways.

rickztahone
05-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Also, if you're going to paint the back kground I wouldn't bother trying to take out the scratches,they wont show anyways.

very true indeed

Wahter
05-07-2009, 12:10 AM
I posted this link a long time back about removing scratches, but I'll post it again (it's good for new members to take a look at one person's solution to removing scratches from a glass aquarium):

http://www.fitchfamily.com/glass.html

Walter

bettebulldog
05-07-2009, 12:11 AM
thanks

i thought the scratches wouldnt show through the paint but there is a few on the front as well. any advice. can you see them when the waters in there.

also any plans for bbuilding a stand around.

what kind of filtration should i get

bettebulldog
05-07-2009, 12:12 AM
i actually read that fitch family before i posted.

bettebulldog
05-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Do you paint the sides as well?

Eddie
05-07-2009, 12:15 AM
thanks

i thought the scratches wouldnt show through the paint but there is a few on the front as well. any advice. can you see them when the waters in there.

also any plans for bbuilding a stand around.

what kind of filtration should i get

There are a large number of options for filtration. The most important factor is what you plan on doing with the tank. How do you want to set it up. Will it be bare bottom or display tank with gravel or sand? You need to give us your goal and many will have advice.

Eddie

mareshow
05-07-2009, 12:59 AM
for sterilizing it you could also use hydrogen peroxide, it will evaporate so all you'd have to do is rinse it well, because if you dont know if you have just plain jane bleach is it really worth the risk?

bettebulldog
05-07-2009, 07:31 AM
i am definately going to go for a show style tank here. lots of plants and wood. not sure on what kind of substrate to get or best filter for something this big.