PDA

View Full Version : Nitrite Nitrate Ph

timmy101
05-06-2009, 11:36 PM
I have a question about mitrite nitrate and PH, Im new to discus so I dont nothing about it. I have a 29 gallons tank and I do 40-50% water changes everyday but I dont really know how test it and to use the nitrite nitrate and Ph so can anyone help me out?

Eddie
05-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Do you have a test kit?

Eddie

timmy101
05-06-2009, 11:55 PM
[QUOTE=basshead;530742]Do you have a test kit?

Eddie[/QUOTE

I bought it at petco the one that come with the bottle and a small tube and a card but I dont know what is it use for they has some colors on it

Eddie
05-06-2009, 11:57 PM
[QUOTE=basshead;530742]Do you have a test kit?

Eddie[/QUOTE

I bought it at petco the one that come with the bottle and a small tube and a card but I dont know what is it use for they has some colors on it

What brand and what does it test for? Did you get master test kit to test PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

If so, you fill the tube to the line with tank water and add the amount of drops as labeled on the bottle. Cap the tube and shake it. Check the color after the time period against the cards. PH is immediate.

Eddie

timmy101
05-07-2009, 12:08 AM
[QUOTE=timmy101;530748]

What brand and what does it test for? Did you get master test kit to test PH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

If so, you fill the tube to the line with tank water and add the amount of drops as labeled on the bottle. Cap the tube and shake it. Check the color after the time period against the cards. PH is immediate.

Eddie

I use the API and i didnt get the master piece one its all seperate a nitrite nitrate ammonia and PH. For example discus like 0ppm for nitrite nitrate ammonia so I try to make it close to the color 0ppm

Eddie
05-07-2009, 12:12 AM
You don't want ammonia or nitrite and evidence of nitrate is a good thing. It means you actually have a bacteria colony established. ;)

Eddie

timmy101
05-07-2009, 12:21 AM
You don't want ammonia or nitrite and evidence of nitrate is a good thing. It means you actually have a bacteria colony established. ;)

Eddie

Oh so I will try to make it to the 0ppm and I have another question like when I change the water I have to start a new one or add couple more drops in without using the tube because the old water it has some old one already

Eddie
05-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Oh so I will try to make it to the 0ppm and I have another question like when I change the water I have to start a new one or add couple more drops in without using the tube because the old water it has some old one already

:confused:

What are you trying to make zero?

The drops are the activator for testing the water. You always need to dump out the old water and fill the tube with new water when testing.

You should test your tap water source first. Then test water from your tank.

Eddie

Eddie
05-07-2009, 12:59 AM
Just to make something very clear, you only put the test drops into the tube which is filled with water. You read the color change and dump that water out, NOT INTO THE TANK. The tested water goes down the drain or outside, you pick.

Eddie

poconogal
05-07-2009, 12:00 PM
You DO NOT put drops from those bottles into your tank water. :shocked2:

The stuff in the bottles doesn't make the water the way you want, the stuff in the bottles is used to test a tank water sample which you put in the tubes that were provided with each kit. You will kill your fish if you are putting drops from those bottles into the tank.

timmy101
05-07-2009, 06:07 PM
You DO NOT put drops from those bottles into your tank water. :shocked2:

The stuff in the bottles doesn't make the water the way you want, the stuff in the bottles is used to test a tank water sample which you put in the tubes that were provided with each kit. You will kill your fish if you are putting drops from those bottles into the tank.

Oh so what can I do when I get a water changes, I change 30-40% of water

poconogal
05-08-2009, 09:09 AM
I just thought about something that I forgot yesterday is that I want to make a hatching rack for my angelfish but I dont know which side I should put it on, should I put it on the right side or on the left?
timmy101, since you are busy making hatching racks for your angelfish, I think you know what you are doing with your water... :jester: