PDA

View Full Version : How to clean a planted tank

ilaizm
05-07-2009, 05:17 AM
I previously had a non planted tank where I used to use a gravel cleaner to clean the substrate each time I do a water change.

I believe this method has to change for a planted tank? Do you ever use a gravel cleaner to clean the bottom?

KDodds
05-07-2009, 08:28 AM
No, I have not found a need to do so either. There is no accumulating mulm or uneaten food. If you do use a gravel cleaner, be careful about how much pressure you use so as not to damage roots. Perhaps just a surface cleaning, more often, might be necessary.

cc_woman
05-08-2009, 08:42 PM
The dirtier the gravel the better :D The plants will love all the nutrients from the waste build up in the gravel. In areas with open spaces in my tanks, I do vacuum a little in the gravel but try not to put any pressure to not damage and disturb roots. I would do just a skimming of the surface debris.

Harriett
07-21-2009, 02:27 PM
I use a python to vacuum my planted tank every week. The substrate is about 4" thick, pool sand. It would get funky without regular cleaning--the tank is heavily planted, but there is no way the plants could suck up all the debris. This means an eventual bacterial build up which becomes a health risk for the discus. As far as root disturbance goes, I clean between the plants deep into the sand and I clean in among the plants as best I can. Discus need a CLEAN tank to stay healthy, in my experience.
Best regards,
Harriett

Consigliere
07-21-2009, 05:08 PM
+1 to above comment.

Also, one way to clean among plants is to use a small diameter hose, maybe 1/2" and use only the hose to siphon. This way you can keep the hose away from the plants a bit and the additional water velocity will suck in some of the debris that might not get in there using traditional water vacuum.

malt_geckos
07-21-2009, 07:32 PM
When you clean the sand, does it not get sucked up?

Consigliere
07-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Tiny bits do, just try and skim the surface of the sand by controlling the distance between the hose inlet and the sand.