PDA

View Full Version : what is a good growth rate for juvies?

csarkar001
05-07-2009, 10:30 PM
my juveniles grow at about 1/2" per month from 2" to 4". (after that, they grow much slower).

is that a good, healthy rate?

--chandan

Eddie
05-07-2009, 10:40 PM
my juveniles grow at about 1/2" per month from 2" to 4". (after that, they grow much slower).

is that a good, healthy rate?

--chandan

Yes Chandan, that is good growth. ;)

Eddie

Tito
05-08-2009, 12:06 AM
Oh!...I guess my youngens are stunts after all.

Eddie
05-08-2009, 03:52 AM
Oh!...I guess my youngens are stunts after all.

Yeah Tito, might be. LOL

No....the question was "is that a good, healthy rate". Yes, the answer is it is "good" growth. If you don't have good growth doesn't mean your fish are stunted. How long have you had your fish, maybe a month or 2.

Eddie

csarkar001
05-08-2009, 06:43 AM
i'm curious what the experts achieve. is 1" per month do-able?

eddie, might i ask what you average?

--chandan

Elite Aquaria
05-08-2009, 06:48 AM
Yes for the first 2 - 3 months it is do-able. Then it starts to taper off to 1/2 inch for the months 4 - 10

Eddie
05-08-2009, 06:52 AM

--chandan

LOL, I don't know really. Its not what I average, its what the fish average. With a very healthy and agressive eating fish, you will get faster growth. I have some fish that don't eat aggressively and they grow slow. There are certain time frames in which discus grow more, kind of like growth spurts in babies. At a very young age, fish grow fast and they begin to slow down in growth as they age. So you would have to narrow your question down to something associated within a given time period 1-3 months, or 3-6 months, 6-9 months.

Between 3-9 months, I'm shooting for half inch a month at least. Do I get that, not really, maybe on the fast growing fish.

Eddie

Eddie
05-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Yes for the first 2 - 3 months it is do-able. Then it starts to taper off to 1/2 inch for the months 4 - 10

Look at that Dan, roughly on the same page. ;) I'm sure with Wayne's fish, its gonna be interesting.

Eddie

Scribbles
05-08-2009, 01:21 PM
I was worried about some of mine that only grew 1/2 inch a month. LOL. Years ago I stunted my first discus so I've changed a few things hoping to do better by them.

Chris

Eddie
05-08-2009, 05:42 PM
I was worried about some of mine that only grew 1/2 inch a month. LOL. Years ago I stunted my first discus so I've changed a few things hoping to do better by them.

Chris

Wish you luck Chris! Sounds like its working out so far.

Take care buddy,

Eddie

ashaysathe
05-08-2009, 07:45 PM

--chandan

I have achieved 1" per month for 3-5 months. Then they did not grow but one fine morning u notice the fish was huge, not that it went from a grain to dinner plate over night.. the point is initially the growth rate is obvious because they are small. As they grow more they grow circular and hard to witness it unless u have documented it.
I have a Wayne Ng fish that fish grew taller more than longer (u know what I mean).. its just amazing.
Another observation is i was growing 6 fish in a 29g tank their growth rate was equal and proporttionate.. down side was very high water quality maintenance. I was very satisfied with results though.

I also remember reading it somewhere that with fish they grow all their life its just that we don't notice it.

Tito
05-08-2009, 08:12 PM
My fish appear to have differing growth spurts. I have a BD that I swear was stunted - he did not budge for two whole months - I mean not a 1/4" even. All of a sudden the sucka turned into a 3" fish in one month! And it appears he is not going to stop.

Then I have other fish - that dicided to take a break! I don't know but my Discus seem to be moody. There are about three that will eat and then slow down - then eat again. One thing I know - if I want to get the whole crew excited - I just throw in some fresh balck worms and everybody starts to eat - even after the worms are gone!

Interesting behaviour in my opinion. Almost like they get bored...

He are'nt we the same? Always have to change it up at the kitched every once in a while.

scottthomas
05-08-2009, 09:12 PM
I have had fish that were growing nicely just suddenly slow down. I have others that I worried about lack of growth suddenly put on size seemingly overnight. I am sure much of it is in the genetics of the fish. Some fish just seem to be picky eaters and not considerate of the fact that I want them to be huge. All I do is just feed them a lot, change the water, watch the eye size and cross my fingers.

Scott

Eddie
05-08-2009, 09:24 PM
I have had fish that were growing nicely just suddenly slow down. I have others that I worried about lack of growth suddenly put on size seemingly overnight. I am sure much of it is in the genetics of the fish. Some fish just seem to be picky eaters and not considerate of the fact that I want them to be huge. All I do is just feed them a lot, change the water, watch the eye size and cross my fingers.

Scott

Second what Scott says...I always have my fingers crossed too.

Eddie

Tito
05-08-2009, 09:46 PM
So how can we judge a good growth rate when we cross our fingers huh LOL

What I didn't appreciate about this site is that I posted some pics of my fish and there were a few people that were like yea your fish are stunted.

I thought that was a joke but I didn't take it personal. However - it geve me a bad impression of the site. At least a particular group of the membership.

I'm glad am the type of knucklehead that doesn't really care about opinions...opinions are like.... evryone has one LOLOLOLOLOL

happy Discus man!

For the record - the pics I posted were of 4 month old Discus. Now they are mostly 4" at about 6 months - I find that acceptable. And freak teh eyes! My pigeons all have small eyes and my blues,turqs, all have large eyes.

Bada Bing Bada Boong!

Eddie
05-08-2009, 09:51 PM
So how can we judge a good growth rate when we cross our fingers huh LOL

What I didn't appreciate about this site is that I posted some pics of my fish and ther were a few people that were like yea youtr fish are stunted.

I thought that was a joke but I didn't take it personal. However - it geve me a bad impression of the site. At least a particular group of the membership.

I'm glad am the type of knucklehead that doesn't really care about opinions...opinions are like.... evryone has one LOLOLOLOLOL

happy Discus man!

If someone asks about what others opinions are about their fish, its best to be honest about it. If you didn't ask for a comment, then yeah....not too nice to just bust out with the stunted card. LOL

It's all good Tito, I think it's safe to say that everyone has a stunted fish and the people who don't....have enough discus to just toss the stunted guy.

Eddie

Tito
05-08-2009, 10:06 PM
If someone asks about what others opinions are about their fish, its best to be honest about it. If you didn't ask for a comment, then yeah....not too nice to just bust out with the stunted card. LOL

It's all good Tito, I think it's safe to say that everyone has a stunted fish and the people who don't....have enough discus to just toss the stunted guy.

Eddie

No worries - I simply though it was comical. Like a ,lot of other stuff I read. Get it Simply! LOL

I know corny as heck but I think it's on par with the Microscope folks.

Uhh jab jab stab - I'm sorry I had to do it LOL

Roxanne
05-09-2009, 03:02 PM
No worries - I simply though it was comical. Like a ,lot of other stuff I read. Get it Simply! LOL

I know corny as heck but I think it's on par with the Microscope folks.

Uhh jab jab stab - I'm sorry I had to do it LOL

how would you like me to 'jab jab stab' you Tito? you just can't resist taking a stab at the forum and it's getting annoying.....next time you read up on diseases, just remember where the information came from....microscopes

scottthomas
05-09-2009, 10:52 PM
Tito

I just meant that I dont like to see my discus at 3 inches with adult size eyes. I have had some like that. I am sure many fish owners dont mind.. just my preference.

Scott

Tito
05-10-2009, 09:36 AM
You Roxy - lighten up LOL

It's ok to have a Microscope and at times if doen correctly be educating to some of us. Thanks microscope users worldwide LOL

I still think it's funny as heck! I've been on many fish forums and simply discus members are a first for me as far as breacking out the micros - real passion here - hopefully not overboard - though I personally feel it's overboard but that's just me.

Scott - I've seen adult Discus before (in person) - none of my fish have adult sized eyes WINK

Eddie
05-11-2009, 08:10 AM
You Roxy - lighten up LOL

It's ok to have a Microscope and at times if doen correctly be educating to some of us. Thanks microscope users worldwide LOL

I still think it's funny as heck! I've been on many fish forums and simply discus members are a first for me as far as breacking out the micros - real passion here - hopefully not overboard - though I personally feel it's overboard but that's just me.

Yeah Tito, I know what you mean, I don't own a scope myself. I don't feel I need one at the moment. Alot of symptoms will lead you down a pretty good path. If I had a lot of fish (Fish Room)and multiple recurring symptoms, I'd get a scope. There is entirely too many things to see in a drop of aquarium water that would probably scare anybody. My fish are doing fantastic and seeing some monster in the scope will just have me over-reacting. ;)

Eddie

seanyuki
05-11-2009, 10:14 AM
If they grow ....I am happy & most of time they could not grow to their full potentials.

Cheers
Francis:)

Roxanne
05-11-2009, 10:23 AM
.. I don't own a scope myself. I don't feel I need one at the moment. .

Eddie

I thought you had one Eddie :confused: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=56132&page=3

Eddie
05-11-2009, 06:22 PM
I thought you had one Eddie :confused: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=56132&page=3

Nope Roxanne, was looking for a good brand but decided against it. Like I said, one day down the road but no need for it now. ;)

Eddie