PDA

View Full Version : Buying Baker's Powdered Egg Yolk

mmorris
05-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Where can I get it? I found one source where I would have to spend $250 but I only want a little!

seanyuki
05-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Hi Martha,

You need them for frys.....:confused:....there are plenty of frys food in the market....Hikari First Bite.

Cheers
Francis:)

mmorris
05-09-2009, 03:17 PM
The powdered yolk is recommended by both Cliff and Dick Au.

acroken
05-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Hey Martha,
I get mine from Nature's Flavors (714)744-3700
http://www.naturesflavors.com/advanced_search_result.php?categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&keywords=dries+egg+yolk&x=23&y=6

Kenny

mmorris
05-09-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm not sure it's the right stuff, Kenny. It doesn't say `baker's', which has fungacide in it, I believe. This keeps it from decomposing so quickly. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

stanlee
05-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi Martha,

You need them for frys.....:confused:....there are plenty of frys food in the market....Hikari First Bite.

Cheers
Francis,
does Hikari first bite come in 2 versions : pellet and powder.
do u have the specs to know how many microns if powder version?
i cannot seem to find it locally.
thnks

mmorris
05-10-2009, 11:27 AM
So, does anyone know where I can find baker's powdered egg yolk?

seanyuki
05-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi Stan,

The one that I had was in powder form....you could also use
Decapsulated (Non-Hatching)Brine Shrimp Eggs

Also known as "topless" or shell-free, Decapsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs are fed directly to a wide variety of tropical fish - providing excellent nutritional value without the necessity and down-time of hatching. We have chemically removed or oxidized the outer shell, the chorion, using a concentrated chlorine solution. This process leaves the thin hatching membrane surrounding the unhatched brine shrimp embryo intact. Decapsulated brine shrimp eggs have a higher energy value than live brine shrimp since the energy consumed in the hatching process is conserved. Lipids and amino acids are left intact. Simply rehydrate the decapsulated brine shrimp eggs for a few minutes in fresh water and feed directly to your fry or juveniles (This step is not necessary for adult fish.). Note: A small amount of decapsulated eggs goes a long way. Don't overfeed. Again, these are non-hatching. The oxidation process is exothermic and generates heat in excess of the lethal temperature of the embryo. The further dehydration of the egg to maintain its shelf life renders the egg non-viable. An excellent feed for angelfish, goldfish, and guppies! Also well accepted by coryadora and plecostami.

:D
http://www.hikari.info/tropical/t_13.html

Cheers

Francis,
does Hikari first bite come in 2 versions : pellet and powder.
do u have the specs to know how many microns if powder version?
i cannot seem to find it locally.
thnks

Big Tuck
05-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi Martha,i dont use egg yoke any more,but i always made my own when i did.Simply dehydrate a hard boiled egg yoke over night and then pulverize it in a coffee grinder int a powder.Store in a pill bottle in the frig.Worked fine but tends to fowl the water if you feed to much. Tuck PS break the egg yoke up before you dehydrate it.

stanlee
05-11-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi Stan,

The one that I had was in powder form....you could also use

Also known as "topless" or shell-free, Decapsulated Brine Shrimp Eggs are fed directly to a wide variety of tropical fish - providing excellent nutritional value without the necessity and down-time of hatching. We have chemically removed or oxidized the outer shell, the chorion, using a concentrated chlorine solution. This process leaves the thin hatching membrane surrounding the unhatched brine shrimp embryo intact. Decapsulated brine shrimp eggs have a higher energy value than live brine shrimp since the energy consumed in the hatching process is conserved. Lipids and amino acids are left intact. Simply rehydrate the decapsulated brine shrimp eggs for a few minutes in fresh water and feed directly to your fry or juveniles (This step is not necessary for adult fish.). Note: A small amount of decapsulated eggs goes a long way. Don't overfeed. Again, these are non-hatching. The oxidation process is exothermic and generates heat in excess of the lethal temperature of the embryo. The further dehydration of the egg to maintain its shelf life renders the egg non-viable. An excellent feed for angelfish, goldfish, and guppies! Also well accepted by coryadora and plecostami.

http://www.hikari.info/tropical/t_13.html

Cheers

don't know why but i didn't get good response when i used decaps some time back. the fries just ignore them cos they don't move i think.

From what i know the diff btw the baker's egg yolk and our fresh egg even with dehydration done is that the former tend to be more kind to the water than the fresh egg yolk. The latter really fouls up the water in very short time. So i think it is better to stay with the powdered baker's egg yolk if u are keen to use it.

Presently i am using" better than brine "and trying out if it is as good as what is claimed.
So far no good result to show.
cheers.

mmorris
05-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Funny, isn't it, that something so widely recommended is simply not available at a reasonable price. I seem to have had some success with Ocean Nutrition Formula One frozen cubes. I cut some grooves in a black suction cup and wipe a little Formula One in the grooves.

WendiDeCato
07-24-2009, 03:30 AM
Try www.kingarthurflour.com for small amounts (8oz) of powdered egg yolks.

mmorris
07-24-2009, 09:32 AM
It's not baker's, that I can see. Baker's, as I understand it, contains an anti-fungal so it doesn't foul the water so quickly. Someone else can no doubt tell us more. The stuff is like gold.

stanlee
07-24-2009, 12:20 PM
have u tried "better than brine".
supposed to be as good and easier to find cos it is available at aquabid.com
other than the antifungal preservation u mentioned in bakers' egg yolk, is there any difference of the baker's egg yolk compared to hikari's first bite for e..g in terms of digestion for the fries.
If non, then u can try using this as well.
:)

allan_mark76
07-24-2009, 06:53 PM
You know what really pisses me off? Why doesn't Cliff just tell us where to get the stuff? Instead it's a tip top secret that's guarded in a vault. Talk about helping people out and advancing the hobby.

~AKA~

WendiDeCato
07-24-2009, 09:01 PM
I'm using the stuff from King Arthur's and it's working pretty well so far. They definitely love it. It's pasteurized, which I think would make it safer than real
egg yolk, which is what I was using before.

Doesn't Cliff or someone recommend using Furan 2 during the egg feeding days? I've used MB during this time because it seems gentler than Furan 2, but might help keep down the bacteria and possible fungus. Maybe none of that would be necessary with actual Baker's yolk.

~Wendi

CliffsDiscus
07-24-2009, 10:05 PM
You know what really pisses me off? Why doesn't Cliff just tell us where to get the stuff? Instead it's a tip top secret that's guarded in a vault. Talk about helping people out and advancing the hobby.

~AKA~

Mark,
No secret Baker's egg yolk can be bought from a bakery where cake, cookies and
bread are made.

Cliff

CliffsDiscus
07-24-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm using the stuff from King Arthur's and it's working pretty well so far. They definitely love it. It's pasteurized, which I think would make it safer than real
egg yolk, which is what I was using before.

Doesn't Cliff or someone recommend using Furan 2 during the egg feeding days? I've used MB during this time because it seems gentler than Furan 2, but might help keep down the bacteria and possible fungus. Maybe none of that would be necessary with actual Baker's yolk.

~Wendi

Wendi,
I may have mention using Furan2, but Jack Wattley does recommend using this medication when feeding on the egg yolk.

Cliff

WendiDeCato
07-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks, Cliff I knew I had heard that over and over, but wasn't sure where it originated from.

Do you think that Meth Blue would help at all during egg feeding?

~Wendi

CliffsDiscus
07-25-2009, 04:03 PM
egg feeding days? I've used MB during this time because it seems gentler than Furan 2

~Wendi[/QUOTE]

Wendi,
You might have Methylene Blue Poisoning.

Cliff

WendiDeCato
07-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Cliff,

I'm assuming that you mean the fry might have MB poisoning, not me. :-)

Can that happen? There is a breeder that suggests using MB at the regular dose for the first 3 days of free swimming. Would that cause poisoning?

~Wendi

CliffsDiscus
07-25-2009, 11:43 PM
Cliff,

I'm assuming that you mean the fry might have MB poisoning, not me. :-)

Can that happen? There is a breeder that suggests using MB at the regular dose for the first 3 days of free swimming. Would that cause poisoning?

~Wendi

Wendi,
Yes, I meant the fry are dieing from the MB. MB can be use in the incubation bowls, but change to newly fresh water just an hour or two before hatching. If you are using a cone,
brick or slate some of the MB will still leach out making the water blue.

As far as artifically breeders suggestions there are always many good suggestions but only
very few that are very successful breeders, we are only down to two artifically breeders in the San
Francisco Bay Area, Dick Au and myself.

I agree with Kacey suggestion about don't try to take short cuts,
just do the clean waterchange on time and you will be successful.

Good Luck!
Cliff

WendiDeCato
07-26-2009, 04:11 AM
Cliff,

Thank you for the clarification. There is so much conflicting information out there. I definitely do a lot of water changes, so I guess I wouldn't need the MB.

Thanks again.

~ Wendi

mmorris
07-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Mark,
No secret Baker's egg yolk can be bought from a bakery where cake, cookies and
bread are made.

Cliff

I called bakery after bakery a few months back and not one of them had it. ;)

CliffsDiscus
07-26-2009, 06:25 PM

Martha,
If the bakery doesn't have it they can order it from a restaurant wholesaler food supplier.
The restaurant wholesaler will not sell it to anyone that doesn't have a restaurant or baker's
license. I received my egg yolk from a Discus breeder that also was a restaurant owner too,
before that anyone can buy it from magazine ads post by Lenny of Discus Haven in Morgan
Hill, California. I don't think Lenny is still in business anymore.

Cliff

Harriett
07-27-2009, 02:41 PM

~AKA~

Geez, Allan
I guess you are frustrated, but I think you are over the top here with Cliff, so plz hear me out.
1. Cliff has been incredibly generous with sharing his techniques and offering advice to pretty much everyone on SD who has directly asked him questions about artificial rearing, from what I have read here over the last 6-7 years.
2. Before you wrote this post, did you actually ASK him what his source is for the egg yolk, or did you just go off and write this insulting accusation about your perception of his motivation and behaviour? If you needed clarification because you weren't finding what you needed, did you ASK for clarification? [Martha did, and got more help immediately from him.]
3. Have you ever met or even spoken with Cliff? He is one of the kindest, nicest folks you'd ever want to meet, and very willing to talk shop. You owe him an apology--that was just rude. He knows more and has more experience on this topic in his little pinky than most of us will ever know.
4. And last, not that I see Cliff doing this, BUT if you put many years into experimenting and perfecting a technique that was elusive and difficult, would you not feel somewhat propriatory? Think about it.

That was a chump post about a lovely and well respected guru in the hobby. How about you start over and not make assumptions about folks so rapid fire, ok?
Harriett

kaceyo
07-27-2009, 03:16 PM
Well said Harriett,

Kacey

mmorris
07-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Martha,
If the bakery doesn't have it they can order it from a restaurant wholesaler food supplier.
The restaurant wholesaler will not sell it to anyone that doesn't have a restaurant or baker's
license.

Cliff

Thanks Cliff. :)

D!NGO
07-27-2009, 04:56 PM

Martha, have you tried Asian bakeries? They used a lot of these in their recipes. Like Cliff, I also know a bakery owner who uses them in a lot of dough recipes. Just show them a picture of the baker's eggyolk and offer a couple of dollars for a small cupful. This should last you a long time. Make sure you buy a couple of sashew bows while you're at it.;) HTH

Derek

mmorris
07-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Bakeries around here don't make much from scratch. Asian bakeries? In central Ma? Don't know of one.

stanlee
07-28-2009, 11:19 AM
wow, so much excitement over a little baker's powdered egg yolk.
Are there really no alternatives?

Anybody ever consider that perhaps the egg yolk works best under Cliff's hands and not another's?

btw, I am also looking for it :D
cheers.

mmorris
07-28-2009, 12:08 PM
Anybody ever consider that perhaps the egg yolk works best under Cliff's hands and not another's?

You might be right, of course. But you'd need to think about the difference between bakers egg yolk and egg yolk.

kaceyo
07-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Many have used a mix of raw and hardboiled egg yolk successfuly, so if you're eager to try artificial rearing I wouldn't wait around for the Bakers Egg Yolk to do it.
Here is a place that has powdered yolk if that's any help.

http://eggs.stores.yahoo.net/powwholeg.html

Kacey

WendiDeCato
07-28-2009, 06:30 PM
For what it's worth, I just finished feeding the powdered yolk that I mentioned earlier and it worked great. I fed it for 5 days. The fry seemed to take to it better than the hard boiled yolk that I used last time.

I mixed the powder with a tiny amount of water until it was a sticky paste. I then smeared it on a small black airstone attached to a 6 inch piece of airline. I then attached the airline to one of the corners of the bowl, so that the yolk stone dangled in the upper corner of the water. I used a small hair claw clip to attach it. The clips that you use to close potato chip bags work as well.

The fry instantly swarm around it and feed for an hour or so. Then, I remove the stone and do a water change. I clean the stone in steaming hot water, using a new tooth brush.

I find this method easy because there isn't a whole messy bowl to clean, there is less egg to fowl the water, but still more than enough to feed the fry, you can prepare several egg stones at once and store in the refrigerator and the fry are very attracted tovtge black thing hanging in the water, so it's not hard to get them to feed.

Take it for what it's worth, I am definitely no
expert, but egg feeding seems to be the ONLY thing that I have had no problems with! :-). You can get 8oz of the powdered egg for only $8.00, too.

~Wendi

CliffsDiscus
07-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Wendi,

Wow, let me be the first to congratulate you on your success. Now maybe you can
get some sleep.

Cliff

WendiDeCato
07-28-2009, 11:36 PM
Cliff,

I wish! The egg feeding is the ONLY thing that I seem to have mastered. There is a whole lot more to learn, but I'm getting there........I hope.

~Wendi

mmorris
07-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Many thanks for that Wendi. :)

stanlee
07-29-2009, 12:19 PM
For what it's worth, I just finished feeding the powdered yolk that I mentioned earlier and it worked great. I fed it for 5 days. The fry seemed to take to it better than the hard boiled yolk that I used last time.

I mixed the powder with a tiny amount of water until it was a sticky paste. I then smeared it on a small black airstone attached to a 6 inch piece of airline. I then attached the airline to one of the corners of the bowl, so that the yolk stone dangled in the upper corner of the water. I used a small hair claw clip to attach it. The clips that you use to close potato chip bags work as well.

The fry instantly swarm around it and feed for an hour or so. Then, I remove the stone and do a water change. I clean the stone in steaming hot water, using a new tooth brush.

I find this method easy because there isn't a whole messy bowl to clean, there is less egg to fowl the water, but still more than enough to feed the fry, you can prepare several egg stones at once and store in the refrigerator and the fry are very attracted tovtge black thing hanging in the water, so it's not hard to get them to feed.

Take it for what it's worth, I am definitely no
expert, but egg feeding seems to be the ONLY thing that I have had no problems with! :-). You can get 8oz of the powdered egg for only $8.00, too.

~Wendi
congrats on your success on the first 5 days . I use the same airstone method as well with eel powder and better than brine.

How long u reckon ur 8oz will last u with your feeding intervals.
btw, this egg yolk powder u bought is same as baker's egg yolk , although it is supposed to foul up the water on contact according to the seller.
good luck.:)