PDA

View Full Version : 100 gallon Surgery/re-organizing

discusluvr818
05-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Hi all,

I am in the process of trying to brighten up my tank a little bit. I had a black flourite substrate as of yesterday and last night I made the switch to pool filter sand. Wow was that stuff cheap and works great.

Here are some before pictures and some progress pics coming....

....OK, whewww....It is Saturday night and the gang is finally acclimated in my main tank. I posted pics of the new setup (Pool Filter Sand) and pics of the old digs with the flourite, flora base , etc... wannabe plant tank :D

I love the new set up. I purchased some German Blue Rams today from an lfs I trust. They only had 5 but I grabbed em. They are in QT now. I really like it with the light substrate the best. :guitarist::guitarist::guitarist:

MRQuad
05-09-2009, 04:51 PM
wow.. can't wait for the full setup with the fish on it.. one thing though, make sure that you vaccum the sand properly.. cause i have a bad experience about sand.. from bottom to sand to bottom again.. :mad:

goodluck!

discusluvr818
05-10-2009, 02:20 AM
A couple more pics....

Eddie
05-10-2009, 02:59 AM
Tank looks great. Can you get some shots without that flash?

Eddie

chemjab
05-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Hi all,

I am in the process of trying to brighten up my tank a little bit. I had a black flourite substrate as of yesterday and last night I made the switch to pool filter sand. Wow was that stuff cheap and works great.

Here are some before pictures and some progress pics coming....

....OK, whewww....It is Saturday night and the gang is finally acclimated in my main tank. I posted pics of the new setup (Pool Filter Sand) and pics of the old digs with the flourite, flora base , etc... wannabe plant tank :D

I love the new set up. I purchased some German Blue Rams today from an lfs I trust. They only had 5 but I grabbed em. They are in QT now. I really like it with the light substrate the best. :guitarist::guitarist::guitarist:

The lighter sand does look better. Good Work. I too have black flourite and man was that stuff expensive. I need to change it out and you are inspiring me to "get er done".
Are you adding a BG? Also I was wondering if you had a sump? It looks like it, but can't tell for sure. If so, you could put that submersible heater in it.

Looking good. Keep posting.
:D

discusluvr818
05-10-2009, 12:29 PM
The lighter sand does look better. Good Work. I too have black flourite and man was that stuff expensive. I need to change it out and you are inspiring me to "get er done".
Are you adding a BG? Also I was wondering if you had a sump? It looks like it, but can't tell for sure. If so, you could put that submersible heater in it.

Looking good. Keep posting.
:D

Thanks man. I have to get some pictures without the flash for our beloved pal Eddie. Working on that my friend. I don't have a sump. My current stand won't accommodate one. I currently run 4 month old fluval 405 and an Emperor bio-wheel 400 of about the same age.

I do plan on getting more sand today though. 50 lbs left it kind of flat. My wife said I need to put more so there can be some small hills. She's the boss!! In a couple weeks assuming they survive (My rams aren't looking so hot today in QT) I will put the German Rams in with the discus to keep 'em company.

discusluvr818
05-13-2009, 06:00 PM
New Pics.....With Discus. More to follow. I hope you like my fish, enjoy!!!

discusluvr818
05-13-2009, 06:04 PM
A few more...my camera is not that good. I am not sure why so much blue tint. Sorry for grainy pics too :D

Raul~

100 Gallon-Discus
40 Gallon Breeder - Currently Housing 3 juvie Discus and 2 German Blue Rams
10 Gallon - 1 golden Fiddler Crab, 1 pleco, a small goby and 3 Killifish (daughter picked inhabitants, her tank)

bluwaters
05-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Your tank and fish look great.
I feel inspiration coming on...
Thanks for sharing!

Anna

discusluvr818
05-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Your tank and fish look great.
I feel inspiration coming on...
Thanks for sharing!

Anna

Thanks for the kind words. As soon as I have an extra hundred laying around I will switch out the aticnic bulbs in my fixture and get 2 lighter bulbs. Now that I think of it, that might be the source of the blue tint...it drives me a little crazy

Yassmeena
05-14-2009, 12:03 AM
Hey - nice work! It's like night and day!

I like it alot!

Yasmin

rickztahone
05-14-2009, 12:07 AM
i switched out my 10k's for 6700k's and man what a difference. you would benefit from such a setup as well IMO

chemjab
05-14-2009, 06:29 AM
New Pics.....With Discus. More to follow. I hope you like my fish, enjoy!!!

I like the set up. Picture #4 in this post is really good. Nice looking Discus.
James.

Eddie
05-14-2009, 06:41 AM
Looks much nicer! The pictures without the flash are great. I really like the 2 striated discus you have, they are looking nice.

All the best with them,

Eddie

discusluvr818
05-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Hey - nice work! It's like night and day!

I like it alot!

Yasmin

Thanks so much. I really like it a whole lot better. I still think I need to purchase better quality light. I went the ebay odysea way. I turned off the aticnics and only have the 12k's running. I can see the difference in maybe the chinese quality. Nothing against chinese people :), just I think I could have got a better light made in the states if I had paid a bit more.

i switched out my 10k's for 6700k's and man what a difference. you would benefit from such a setup as well IMO

I agree...like I was telling Yasmin that above also. I think I could use a whole new light set-up. My wife won't let me buy anything new for a while though. I spend lot's o' money on these fish...I need to find a lightly used 48" T5...anyone...anyone :D PM Me if one exists on the CHEAP!!!

I like the set up. Picture #4 in this post is really good. Nice looking Discus.
James.

Thank you James. I appreciate the compliment, it means alot to me. These fish are so important to me. My wife thinks I am nuts but it's ok :jester:

Looks much nicer! The pictures without the flash are great. I really like the 2 striated discus you have, they are looking nice.

All the best with them,

Eddie

Thanks Eddie,

Much thanks over there to you in Okinawa. You are probably still sleeping at this time because it is very early over there, my wife is from Nagano and all her family is still there. I posted more pics, sorry if I am getting carried away, I turned off the aticnics in an attempt to dull the blue shade. Here goes...

Just here...taking care of my Discus

discusluvr818
05-14-2009, 02:52 PM
Here is a few more....ok ok....i love my discus :bandana:

Just here...taking care of my Discus

discusluvr818
05-16-2009, 01:30 AM
{Bump} I didn't get enough comments yet :D

Good or bad...let em rip. OK, Is it wrong to polish off a whole bottle of Ruffino Bosola Chianti by yourself with dinner?? I know, I know...i'm fishin :bandana:

Eddie
05-16-2009, 01:42 AM
LOL, didn't see the updated photos. I like it better with the Actinics off. The fish look great, very colorful.

All the best with them

Eddie

Eddie
09-02-2009, 03:33 AM
Bump, time for an update! I want to see those turqs! Who was the source for those turqs?

Eddie

discusluvr818
09-14-2009, 06:00 PM
Bump, time for an update! I want to see those turqs! Who was the source for those turqs?

Eddie

The source was Gabriel over at Watley's in Miami. So was everything except the Blue Diamond which was a local rescue. I have moved recently but I will post some updates for ya. They range 5-7 inches now

discusluvr818
09-17-2009, 07:11 PM
Here you go Eddie, I know you like the turq's so I included the photos of the juvies. Two are turq's and one snakeskin. These three are from a local breeder. Enjoy!! These first pics are from my main tank 110 gallons.

discusluvr818
09-17-2009, 07:14 PM
These three are in my juvie tank. 2 turq's and a snakeskin. This tank is 37 gallons I believe.

Darrell Ward
09-17-2009, 07:24 PM

I agree. 10k's look way too blue for freshwater. 6700k's look much more natural. I've been there as well. Be careful with that sand. It can look clean on the top after vacs, but can have a lot of really fine debris particles trapped in it that you won't notice. I used to have sand in several tanks, but have removed it all because of the ongoing hassel. Also, you can make all the hills you want with sand, but they will naturally flatten themselves out.

discusluvr818
09-17-2009, 07:31 PM
I agree. 10k's look way too blue for freshwater. 6700k's look much more natural. I've been there as well. Be careful with that sand. It can look clean on the top after vacs, but can have a lot of really fine debris particles trapped in it that you won't notice. I used to have sand in several tanks, but have removed it all because of the ongoing hassel.

Ive switched all my tanks to BB recently. Made more sense for me after trying with substrate and plants, then to sand and now bb. My 110 gallon looks really empty being BB and only 7 Discus. With the driftwood and sand made it look much more full.

Now I need to put more fish. I want some Yellow Discus to really finish off the tank.

discusluvr818
09-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Just playing around with the camera a bit more...I changed lighting from the Odysea brand to Coralife 48" T5's and my tank. Much better IMO. Only 108 watts but lights up the tank and my tank is 63". Will get another later perhaps...for now thats it, my new house has drained me lol. I posted some other new pics a few posts above.