PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

calihawker
05-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Hi! My name is Steve but all my friends call me Steve-O. I live here in the sierra foothills about an hour east of Sacramento Cali with my wife Rochelle, our 2 boys Derek and Edward along with 4 dogs, 5 cats, 8 goats, 5 ducks, 2 hawks and a lop eared rabbit I bought my wife yesterday for mothers day:p

I guess I might be considered one of the noobs in the contest. Although I've kept many types of aquaria over the years, my last attempt at discus was back in the late 80's and was met with mixed results. It took a very dedicated aquarist to raise discus back then and of course we didn't have the type of support we have today with the internet and specifically places like Simply Discus.

About 2 years ago I decided to break down my 300 gallon reef tank. Well I guess you can say it was decided for me, running 2500 watts of lighting 12 hr's a day, 6500 GPH 24-7 and all the other support gear that was running, one August our electric bill topped 4 figures :shocked: So I had to figure out what to do with the tank. A friend of mine at the lfs turned me on to Amano's "giant tanks" book I saw the picture with the discus and that, as they say was that. I pieced out the reef a little at a time and the reefers that came over to buy stuff would ask what I was going to do with the tank and I would show them a picture from the book. They would kinda give me this look of "oh...that's nice" roll the eyes :laugh:

After learning the planted tank thing for over a year I got my first 12 discus. I was told they were Leopard Snakeskins but after looking over some of the posts and specifically the cool new "strain" thread started by rickztahone over in the beginners section, I really don't know what I have. No big deal I guess. Out of the 12, one didn't make it early on, one had problems eating and I was able get that one to come around and the whole lot had to be treated for flukes recently. All succesfully accomplished thanks to the people here on this site.

I can't say enough how much the information gathered here at Simply Discus has helped me have success with these fish. Thank you very much everyone here :D:D:D

The Contest.
Wow. I'm so excited and so honored to have been chosen. I want to throw out a big GOOD LUCK! to all the other contestants. ( I sure hope I don't have to answer any loaded questions at the end of the contest about same sex marriage or anything like that);)

I will be raising these babies, (Absolutely gorgeous btw, thanks Kenny, Forrest)!! In a 60 gallon cube. The tank is setup for auto water changes and I will be doing 75-100% daily w/c. I'll be feeding some version of basshead Eddies seafood mix along with flakes and pellets, maybe some fbw and fbs thrown in. I plan on doing at least 8 feedings a day.

In the next couple of days I'll start seperate threads for equipment, feeding, photo's/video, and a place we can just chat. I look forward to hearing from all of you!!!

Let the games begin!

Diamond Discus
05-11-2009, 04:28 PM
It's neat how everyone is using a littl bit different method to grow out. This is getting better and better with each introduction. Good luck!

rickztahone
05-11-2009, 04:49 PM
congrats Steve-O. im very siked about this contest and im very happy a fellow californian got in. you have a great plan so far but just remember that sometimes the unexpected happens and its best to prepare for those moments as best you can. one factor has already been eliminated for you and thats the fact that you have great stock to start with. once again congrats and i look forward to following all the updates

Scribbles
05-11-2009, 10:38 PM
Congratulations Steve-O and good luck.

Chris

Darren's Discus
05-12-2009, 12:10 AM
Steve-O,
look forward to your update's all the best !

cheers

Eddie
05-12-2009, 04:00 AM
Wicked intro Steve (videos,photos, little chit chat)! The set-up for your fish sounds like a definite recipe for success! ;)

Take care and best of luck,

Eddie

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-12-2009, 04:03 AM
SteveO what strain did you guys get from Kenny/Forrest that you will be growing out?? I know its an albino, but which one?!? lol I cant seem to find it.

calihawker
05-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks everyone! This is gonna be a lot of fun :D

Jason,
Check out post #158

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=69719&page=11

MRQuad
05-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Goodluck Steve-O!

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-12-2009, 01:23 PM
Thanks everyone! This is gonna be a lot of fun :D

Jason,
Check out post #158

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=69719&page=11

ohhhhh! I see Steve...damn those are BEAUTIFUL! 6 of them to each of you?!?!? you guys are luuucky...i should have entered this year...o well...theres always next year. I just bought 2 albino spotted leopards from kenny about a week ago. looks similar. best of luck to you Steve, and everyone else in the contest, Ill be tuned in here for sure...Ill also be growing out my own 3 inch albino spotteds along side of you guys :D

again, good luck to everyone!:). I cant believe I snoozed on this contest this year. I kept seein it out of the corner of my eye...IDK why i didnt enter:o
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk255/cooldaddyfunk/5084.jpg

wgtaylor
05-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi Steve, congratulations.
Wow, 100 percent automatic water changes, life's easy huh ! :p
I used to go to Capitol Aquarium in Sacramento. They used to have a lot of discus. Great fish store, walk in the front door, over a bridge above a huge koi pond. Great place.
Anyway, the best to you this year with your discus. Bill

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-12-2009, 01:56 PM
this whole competition is such a great idea, it really is. I cant wait till you guys get your fish! its gonna be so cool to see the progress. really a great idea Al. and thats awesome of you, Kenny and Forrest for supplying an amazing strain for these guys to grow out:shocked2:. Like I said I'll be tuned in hardcore, so get used to me:p ..nice to meet you Steve-o:wave:

Chad Hughes
05-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Steve,

Best of luck to you!

Best wishes!

adamsite
05-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Yeah! Do NorCal proud!! I grew up in the foothills...went to Colfax High...I am now in Sac. By the way...are you on well water up there?? Have you checked out JoJo Aquarium down here on Stockton Blvd.? Pretty good LFS for discus, supplies, and advice (owner is super friendly) if you are ever down this way. I wish you the best of luck!
-Adam

kirkp
05-12-2009, 05:54 PM
Hey Steve-o (hope I'm not being to presumptuous). Like how you're really getting into this. Care to share pics of your auto water change system.

Good luck in the challenge.

Kirk

calihawker
05-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Hi Steve, congratulations.
Wow, 100 percent automatic water changes, life's easy huh ! :p
I used to go to Capitol Aquarium in Sacramento. They used to have a lot of discus. Great fish store, walk in the front door, over a bridge above a huge koi pond. Great place.
Anyway, the best to you this year with your discus. Bill

Yeah, Capital still has lots of discus but once you get used to seeing the quality of KENNY'S DISCUS (did I say that loud enough?) It's like trying to compare your average napa valley Zinfindel to a Brunello di Montalcino. It just ain't the same ;)

this whole competition is such a great idea, it really is. I cant wait till you guys get your fish! its gonna be so cool to see the progress. really a great idea Al. and thats awesome of you, Kenny and Forrest for supplying an amazing strain for these guys to grow out. Like I said I'll be tuned in hardcore, so get used to me ..nice to meet you Steve-o

Nice to meet you too Jason :) Beautiful discus btw ;)

Yeah! Do NorCal proud!! I grew up in the foothills...went to Colfax High...I am now in Sac. By the way...are you on well water up there?? Have you checked out JoJo Aquarium down here on Stockton Blvd.? Pretty good LFS for discus, supplies, and advice (owner is super friendly) if you are ever down this way. I wish you the best of luck!
-Adam

Norcal for life! That's right! I'm a bay area transplant myself, been up here 8 years now. We are on a municipal water system. The water might be even a little too soft if that's possible for discus. No chloramines though so just a day aging and then in the tank, that's my plan ;)

Hey Steve-o (hope I'm not being to presumptuous). Like how you're really getting into this. Care to share pics of your auto water change system.

Good luck in the challenge.

Kirk

No problem at all Kirk. I had to go down to the hardware store today for a few fittings but I should have it up and plumbed tonight. Should have pics by morning. The real trick is being able to siphon the waste. It isn't really automatic if you have to stick your hands in there now is it?

Let me know what you think of my solution :D

Thanks Chad! Good luck to you too!

kirkp
05-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Steve, can't wait to see it. Your comment struck a chord. Was it you that had the post about what people want in a auto system? Just guessing but does your system have a sloped bottom that funnels the pooh down to a suction fitting?

Kirk

fishyj
05-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Good luck Steve.

calihawker
05-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Steve, can't wait to see it. Your comment struck a chord. Was it you that had the post about what people want in a auto system? Just guessing but does your system have a sloped bottom that funnels the pooh down to a suction fitting?

Kirk

That's exactly right Kirk! Have you seen that or tried it? I have a bunch of ideas on the drawing board on how to funnel waste to the suction device but this is the simplest one I could come up with in a hurry. I really didn't expect to get pick for the challenge :D

kirkp
05-13-2009, 07:02 AM
Morning Steve,

No, I haven't seen one but I've had something similar floating around in my mind. The first idea I had been toying with was to take some styrofoam and cut it so that it all sloped to one central location. A 1/2" piece of CPVC would form the suction pipe. I thought about either coating the foam with epoxy or just use silicone that would be covered with sand to make a natural looking bottom. This would be for a decorated tank. I also envisioned that for a bare bottom tank I could use plexiglass or glass.

I think it's a great idea. Can't wait to see yours in action.

Kiirk

2075turner
05-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Wow Steve,

Sounds like you have quite the set up. I look forward to seeing it in your posts. Good luck with your fish.

Evelyn:)

TankWatcher
05-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Steve, you sound so organised with everything planned out. All those separate threads. Sounds like this will be very interesting, watching you & your challenge fish

Best of luck

Kenny's Discus
05-16-2009, 02:52 AM
Steve,

Best of luck to you hope you'll enjoy raising these albino crosses out! They are eating machines lol...:)

Kenny

calihawker
05-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Steve,

Best of luck to you hope you'll enjoy raising these albino crosses out! They are eating machines lol...:)

Kenny

Thanks Kenny!!
I think my wife is gonna get sick of me making fish food in the kitchen and taking up freezer space. :)

chemjab
05-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Great intro Steve-O. Looking forward to following your progress.