PDA

View Full Version : Which filter is better?

timmy101
05-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Which filter is better for discus, I have a 50 gallon tank and I have 2 Ehiem 2217 canister filter that I can use or 3 sponge filters, and should I use drift wood for decorations in my tank?

Eddie
05-11-2009, 07:38 PM
Which filter is better for discus, I have a 50 gallon tank and I have 2 Ehiem 2217 canister filter that I can use or 3 sponge filters, and should I use drift wood for decorations in my tank?

2217s have a good rep. Any type of decoration is a personal preference. Wouldn't you like to have a tank that you preferred?

Eddie

lemondiscus
05-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Mostly it is preference.... I have a 125 and I have a Emperor 400, a Penguin 350 and a Magunum 350... It was what I could get for my tank at that time...

The Penguin sucks... its just added filtration and I sometimes shut it down

The Emperor is good... I can add media (peat moss bags) to it with no problem

The Magnum... this is a love hate... No room for media... BUT it polishes the water BETTER than any filter I have EVER had!!!

I do this for a planted tank.... if it were a breeder tank I would run sponge!

I use Driftwood in EVERY Discus tank I have! Again though it depends what you want... It is more if Driftwood makes you happy, you will be more likely to care for your fish so they will be happier.... that is a question that is debatable depending on who you ask! Most breeders say leave it out and keepers say put it in and plant it.... its what you want....:cool: