PDA

View Full Version : QT

Sheila
05-11-2009, 11:45 PM
I just purchased a really nice (in my opinion) Discus at a local aquarium club auction. I have purchased many fish from other members of this club and have never had a problem with diseased critters. I want to add this new Discus to my current group of 7. Currently I have this new guy in a 20g QT tank. It is not skittish, eating well and looking great, no signs of disease. I'm wondering how long to QT this guy for? My biggest concern with The whole QT thing is leaving him by himself. I know Discus prefer company and I don't want him/her to become depressed and stop eating being all by itself. At the same time I don't want it to introduce disease into my established group. What should I do?

rickztahone
05-12-2009, 12:08 AM
I just purchased a really nice (in my opinion) Discus at a local aquarium club auction. I have purchased many fish from other members of this club and have never had a problem with diseased critters. I want to add this new Discus to my current group of 7. Currently I have this new guy in a 20g QT tank. It is not skittish, eating well and looking great, no signs of disease. I'm wondering how long to QT this guy for? My biggest concern with The whole QT thing is leaving him by himself. I know Discus prefer company and I don't want him/her to become depressed and stop eating being all by itself. At the same time I don't want it to introduce disease into my established group. What should I do?

6 weeks no matter what. those 6 weeks might seem like a lot but you can easily spend that much time treating fish with medications if that one discus gets the others sick