PDA

View Full Version : New wigglers!

FLGirl1977
05-12-2009, 05:47 PM
So, first time (well, second time wiggler newbie here). My wild blues have spawned for the third time.. and this is the second time they have wigglers. This time they are surviving and not being eaten! How long before they attach to the parents? They have been hatched out for over 24 hours and the parents are guarding them... and keep spitting them back up on the branch... how long does this happen before they attach? This is strictly out of curiousity.... I really don't expect anything to come of this for long. Thanks.. :)

Eddie
05-12-2009, 07:15 PM
So, first time (well, second time wiggler newbie here). My wild blues have spawned for the third time.. and this is the second time they have wigglers. This time they are surviving and not being eaten! How long before they attach to the parents? They have been hatched out for over 24 hours and the parents are guarding them... and keep spitting them back up on the branch... how long does this happen before they attach? This is strictly out of curiousity.... I really don't expect anything to come of this for long. Thanks.. :)

Thats great news Renee! You definitely gotta get some pictures of the pair when you can. ;)

All the best,

Eddie

Roxanne
05-12-2009, 07:29 PM
aw....congrats Renee..that must be like the cream on top of the discus cake to see that in your own tank....hope it all goes well:)...

Roxanne

MostlyDiscus
05-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Great Job Renee, woot woot:bounce: If the wigglers hatched out 24 hrs ago then at around 85 degrees they should free swim around a day and a half from now. Sometimes new swimmers will go to the parents then back to the spawning site a few times. Dont worry if they dont attach right away... Well done.

Ed

FLGirl1977
05-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys! It really is rewarding to see this happen. They are two of my most beautiful fish together! The male has the best round body shape and red eyes... and the female is nice as well. I'm so excited to see these two together... and they are proving to be great parents! I'll keep you posted... not sure what will come of this since they are in the community tank with the wigglers..

mmorris
05-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Yea!!!:thumbsup:

Elite Aquaria
05-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Renee, Great news...Make sure to turn down your filtration once the fish are free swimming and make sure you keep a night light 24/7 on them at all times...That is if you have not already done this.

wgtaylor
05-13-2009, 11:33 AM
Hi Renee,

That's great news ! I am so happy for you. Bet you was wondering if this event would ever get here. You have done a great job with your wilds.
Thanks for letting us know about your success. :):):)

Bill

Peachtree Discus
05-13-2009, 12:16 PM
contrat's Renee.....ur kitty may be a little jealous. ;) you say they are wilds? last i read - people could not get wilds to breed in their tanks. maybe i am confused but regardless, you must me doing something right. good job!!!

MostlyDiscus
05-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Good points for sure Dan. Wild heckels are very difficult to breed but most other wilds will breed when kept and fed correctly.

Ed

FLGirl1977
05-13-2009, 07:22 PM
We have free swimmers! The parents are proving to be great parents... I never knew wigglers moved so fast! Yes, they are my wild blue/browns alenquers that have spawned. I can't believe they have made it this far... Honestly, no night light was used... I don't even hardly ever turn on the tank light hardly ever! The water is kept at 84.7 F and the pH is around 6.5... we use RO water and add Ken's RO right when needed...

It's actually quite funny to see the parents chase the rummynoses and others away... Looking over now and see another pair cleaning a site! AHHHHH!!! lol! ;)

Roxanne
05-13-2009, 07:47 PM
...how exciting....:)...where's the pics woman?:D

MostlyDiscus
05-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Hey Renee, now that they are free swimming you should really burn your lights all the time. I think thats what Dan meant. If the the lights go out the parents will sleep and the fry will be all over the tank and easy pickins for your RNTs when the light kick back on. CONGRATS btw... well done

acroken
05-13-2009, 08:21 PM
That is some great news Renee:D Makes all your hard work really seem worth it. Sounds like you have a good pair. Bet you are looking around to see where you will put the breeding tanks...lol.

Kenny

FLGirl1977
05-13-2009, 09:58 PM
...how exciting....:)...where's the pics woman?:D

Oh Rox! I really wish!!! Our camera died a couple of months ago and haven't gotten around to getting a new one... I've been dying to get some pics of my wild royal blues up on here but haven't been able to do that either... I might break down and buy a cheapie one until I can get the one I want. ;)

Eddie
05-13-2009, 10:06 PM
For real Renee, you need to get some shots! Excited for you.

Take care,

Eddie

Peachtree Discus
05-14-2009, 10:08 AM
...Make sure to turn down your filtration once the fish are free swimming and make sure you keep a night light 24/7 on them at all times...

^^^^ do this right away....if you plan to keep them.

If i see great advice is already there, i tend to back off the post. probably why my post count is so low :p

TankWatcher
05-14-2009, 10:34 AM
Any SD member with a camera live near Renee???

Renee, you simply MUST beg, borrow or steal a camera. Not only can't I wait to see your fry, I am dying to see your wilds. They sound gorgeous

Fingers crossed you can borrow a camera soon.

BTW, did you notice any change in the agression level in your tank, once a pair was formed?

FLGirl1977
05-16-2009, 02:11 PM
The wigglers are still doing well and getting bigger! The great news... I'm going to get a camera this weekend! WOO HOO! ;) Not sure what I'm going to get... won't be the Nikon D90 that I was wanting (not yet anyway)... but I would like to get something in the $250-$350 range...

does anyone have any suggestions on a camera?

As soon as I get the camera I will definitely take pictures of the babies! :)

Eddie
05-16-2009, 07:10 PM
The wigglers are still doing well and getting bigger! The great news... I'm going to get a camera this weekend! WOO HOO! ;) Not sure what I'm going to get... won't be the Nikon D90 that I was wanting (not yet anyway)... but I would like to get something in the $250-$350 range...

does anyone have any suggestions on a camera?

As soon as I get the camera I will definitely take pictures of the babies! :)

Renee,

I have a Canon Powershot SD790 IS that takes amazing pictures. Its a point and shoot type camera, without all the frills. Aquarium setting on the camera takes phenomenal photos. Its about 200 bucks or less.

Eddie

FLGirl1977
05-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Here are pics of the happy (protective) parents! These pics were taken 2 days ago and already the wrigglers are getting a 'fatter' body shape and have almost doubled in size!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/rplein/DSC00006.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/rplein/DSC00005.jpg

Eddie
05-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Amazing Renee, totally amazing. That is so cool, so happy for you! It must be a priceless sight to see on them.

All the best,
Eddie

FLGirl1977
05-18-2009, 08:30 PM
The pics aren't the best because they were taken without an overhead light on... but the camera that I bought the other day is a 12.1 megapixel... so I'll have to brush up on my skills.

Thanks Eddie, it is pretty amazing to see. I'm not really expecting much.. maybe the next time around I will seperate them... it seems to be really stressful right now for everyone in the tank as protective as they are... plus maintenance will be easier for waterchanges in the smaller tank. :)

Roxanne
05-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Are they even real? OMG Renee they are absolutely gorgeous:):)....and that's another tank I want to swim in...

So happy for you.....:bounce2::drummer:

Rox

FLGirl1977
05-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Lol Rox! Yeah... all to real for the other inhabitants! ;) Thanks for the nice compliment... I just posted pics in my other thread of the other poor guys in the tank! lol...

poconogal
05-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Awesome, Renee! I hope I get to see them next week!

Roxanne
05-18-2009, 08:44 PM
you gals are making me jealous....I wanna come see them too!:D

I really hope we get to see their colours develop as they get older, now that you have a discam....:)

Roxanne

poconogal
05-18-2009, 08:46 PM
So come to Florida, Rox! We'll have a blast!

Roxanne
05-18-2009, 09:03 PM
Mental Note: Add to "Bucket List" (Thank You Morgan & Jack)....must fly to Florida, check out wigglers, party with the gals, try on Horatio Cane's sunglasses, and live happily ever after with George Clooney....;)

Rox

poconogal
05-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Well now Rox, I don't want you to be disappointed, but Horatio is in Miami, the opposide side of Florida from where Renee is and where I'll be... but maybe you can squeeze in a side trip to Miami, too...

Roxanne
05-18-2009, 09:10 PM
...and then live happily ever after with George Clooney right? :D

poconogal
05-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Sure, sure... :D

brewmaster15
05-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Here are pics of the happy (protective) parents! These pics were taken 2 days ago and already the wrigglers are getting a 'fatter' body shape and have almost doubled in size!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/rplein/DSC00006.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g147/rplein/DSC00005.jpg
Absolutely beautiful Renee! Beautiful wilds and great parents to boot... I'm very happy for you!! Nicely done!!:)

-al

FLGirl1977
05-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks Al! :blushing: I really do need to learn this camera though to learn it's full potential... I think my pics don't do them/or the others justice... BTW... there are lots more wrigglers on the other side of him... they don't seem to like their picture taken! lol..

TankWatcher
05-20-2009, 12:07 PM
They have great red eyes, besides being just all round stunning. Glad you got the camera.