PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Scribbles
05-13-2009, 03:18 PM
Hi all. I have a little problem and I'm looking for some advice. I have 8 juvies that are breathing hard (more than 60 breaths/min). A couple of them always look like they have full bellies, even first thing in the A.M. One has a slight pop eye but after a salt dip is looking much better. I'm planing on doing one more today. Everyone is eating like pigs, good color, growing like weeds, no scratching, flashing, hiding, marks or spots, and poop is normal. The breathing has been going on for a couple of weeks, so I'm thinking that it's time for some meds. But, I've never had to medicate discus in the 8-9 years that I've kept them. The local pet store had Maracyn and Maracyn Two which I picked up. What do you think? Good choice? If so can I do daily wc?

Oh ya I almost forgot, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 nitrates 5, PH stable 7.2 fed 10+ times daily and 90% daily wc. Recently added a 4 inch air difuser which may have helped slightly.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Daniella
05-13-2009, 04:46 PM
why would you use maracyne for fast breathing? small discus breath faster than adult and 60 breaths per minute seem ok to me if they don't flash or scratch..do nothing. wait and see.

Hi all. I have a little problem and I'm looking for some advice. I have 8 juvies that are breathing hard (more than 60 breaths/min). A couple of them always look like they have full bellies, even first thing in the A.M. One has a slight pop eye but after a salt dip is looking much better. I'm planing on doing one more today. Everyone is eating like pigs, good color, growing like weeds, no scratching, flashing, hiding, marks or spots, and poop is normal. The breathing has been going on for a couple of weeks, so I'm thinking that it's time for some meds. But, I've never had to medicate discus in the 8-9 years that I've kept them. The local pet store had Maracyn and Maracyn Two which I picked up. What do you think? Good choice? If so can I do daily wc?

Oh ya I almost forgot, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 nitrates 5, PH stable 7.2 fed 10+ times daily and 90% daily wc. Recently added a 4 inch air difuser which may have helped slightly.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

Chris

Scribbles
05-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Maracyn and Maracyn Two are used to treat bacterial gill disease.

Chris

MSD
05-13-2009, 06:57 PM
What if its a parasite?

Roxanne
05-13-2009, 08:00 PM
Without being critical, I get the feeling some people are getting the impression they can feed their fish as much as they like if they do regular/large water changes. Fish can over eat, and get sick. If they get a blockage and it gets infected, it will kill them, so maybe we need to rethink how often we should be feeding...

Roxanne

rickztahone
05-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Without being critical, I get the feeling some people are getting the impression they can feed their fish as much as they like if they do regular/large water changes. Fish can over eat, and get sick. If they get a blockage and it gets infected, it will kill them, so maybe we need to rethink how often we should be feeding...

Roxanne

something i was going to suggest as well. i know Eddie feeds around that much but people have to keep in mind that he feeds very small servings. this is something that should be constantly kept in mind when considering feeding so often

Scribbles
05-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Thanks for all of the responses. I do feed often but only small meals due to small stomachs and not wanting to bloat them. I was concerned because of the 2 with full looking bellies in the A.M. I don't seem to be missing any tetras. LOL. The one with the slight pop eye is much better today and I bet it will be fine tomorrow. Picked up meds because I can't drive and don't keep any on hand. I will just keep a close eye on them. Guess I'm just an overly worried mom. Appriciate the help.

Chris

Scribbles
05-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Just a quick update. The discus with the eye problem is just about back to normal today. I'm curious though, what would be considered breathing too fast for juvies? I always thought 60 breaths/min normal and above that would be a problem. Keeping in mind of course that feeding, wc, or any other stimulus would cause breathing to increase which would be considered normal.

Chris

Eddie
05-15-2009, 12:17 AM

Roxanne

Just how much

Thanks for all of the responses. I do feed often but only small meals due to small stomachs and not wanting to bloat them. I was concerned because of the 2 with full looking bellies in the A.M. I don't seem to be missing any tetras. LOL. The one with the slight pop eye is much better today and I bet it will be fine tomorrow. Picked up meds because I can't drive and don't keep any on hand. I will just keep a close eye on them. Guess I'm just an overly worried mom. Appriciate the help.

Chris

Hey there Chris,

I'm literally feeding my juveniles from Wayne about every hour. ;) Fish are doing PHENOMENAL!! :D

Musn't forget, my way is not the right way. Its just the right way for me and my fish.

Eddie

Scribbles
05-15-2009, 12:49 AM
I hear ya Eddie. I started this feeding schedule when I got my juvies in Feb. because of results I saw on SD. I can't believe their growth! I check water params daily and spend 1-2 hours a day cleaning a 60 gal. tank. LOL yes I need to get a life. If they start having problems or water quality suffers I will definatly back off on the feeding. But I'm always open to any advice.

Chris

Eddie
05-15-2009, 01:17 AM
I hear ya Eddie. I started this feeding schedule when I got my juvies in Feb. because of results I saw on SD. I can't believe their growth! I check water params daily and spend 1-2 hours a day cleaning a 60 gal. tank. LOL yes I need to get a life. If they start having problems or water quality suffers I will definatly back off on the feeding. But I'm always open to any advice.

Chris

Yup, maintaining water quality is key. Your fish will be fine

Eddie

One more thing, my babies are breathing a million times a minute, no joke!

The popeye, that could have stemmed from water quality, keep it clean. Anything leftover (which there should not be) siphon out. Don't let any food set in the tank, assuming the fish will eat it later. Whatever isn't eaten up in 30 seconds (which is usually everything) should be removed IMO.

Eddie

Roxanne
05-15-2009, 08:32 AM
Just how much

I don't know Eddie....you might have more insight than I do if you have ever had to de bloat any of your fish :confused:. It would be good to clarify how much is too much I guess...or maybe, how much is enough? Different schedules for different ages, how often fed, that kind of stuff....the area is a little fuzzy...

Rox

Eddie
05-15-2009, 08:45 AM
I don't know Eddie....you might have more insight than I do if you have ever had to de bloat any of your fish :confused:. It would be good to clarify how much is too much I guess...or maybe, how much is enough? Different schedules for different ages, how often fed, that kind of stuff....the area is a little fuzzy...

Rox

I know, my Heckel Cross overeats, doesn't matter how much I put in the tank. Almost lost him twice when he was younger. Had to hit him Epsom salt at double dose just to get him to swim again. Haven't had to treat any others, ever. Its really down to gauging the right amount. I have it down to a science in the cubes I use. ;) It depends on the amount of fish, age of the fish, etc. My super small juvies get small tiny blocks every hour at least. The larger fish get bigger cubes that they can finish in about 30 seconds.

Eddie

Roxanne
05-15-2009, 09:05 AM
...how tiny is tiny, for the juvies?..guys have bigger hands than women so what you call tiny might be big lol...something to compare it to would be good..but, not American Currency ...in teaspoons maybe??

Rox

Eddie
05-15-2009, 09:10 AM
...how tiny is tiny, for the juvies?..guys have bigger hands than women so what you call tiny might be big lol...something to compare it to would be good..but, not American Currency ...in teaspoons maybe??

Rox

Pencil eraser...yup, thats it. For 5 very young juvenile fish, a pencil eraser sized cube. ;)

Eddie

Roxanne
05-15-2009, 09:13 AM
...what kind of pencil eraser? lol....:D...do you mean like the eraser on the end of some pencils?

Eddie
05-15-2009, 09:14 AM
...what kind of pencil eraser? lol....:D...do you mean like the eraser on the end of some pencils?

Yup ;) The little eraser on wooden pencils.

Scribbles
05-16-2009, 12:44 AM
You guys crack me up. Well...my problem child looks good today so alls well that ends well. Thanks for all the help.

Chris

Eddie
05-16-2009, 01:39 AM
You guys crack me up. Well...my problem child looks good today so alls well that ends well. Thanks for all the help.

Chris

Anytime Chris!

Eddie

Scribbles
05-18-2009, 01:18 AM
Hey all,

Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all who took the time out of their busy lives to respond to my post. I know that i've only been on this forum for a couple of months but I really appreciate the replies which thankfully kept me from making a big mistake. One of the nice things about discus is that there is always something new to learn and I am very glad that Simply and all of you are here to help.

Chris

Roxanne
05-18-2009, 01:20 AM
We're very glad you are part of the community:)

Eddie
05-18-2009, 01:47 AM
We're very glad you are part of the community:)

Ditto ;)