PDA

View Full Version : High phosphate levels...

in2spd
05-13-2009, 07:18 PM
I bought a phosphate test kit as i wondered how my levels were doin, when tested they were as high as you could go on the chart. How does this affect the fish? I also have a bottle of nutrafin waste control, is it safe to use?

AquatiCreations
05-13-2009, 10:10 PM
I don't really think high phosphates can harm the fish,it's actually used as an aquatic plant fertilizer regularly, Excess algae is the only negative I can see from large amounts of phosphates,

Chad Hughes
05-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Phosphate does count as a dissolved organic so it'll affect your overall water quality. Not to the degree that the big three would, but it does count. I'd test your tap and see what you are getting there. If your tap is good and your tank tops out, I'd do a massive water change. What are you feeding, what's your stocking, what's your setup?

Best wishes!

calihawker
05-14-2009, 02:21 AM
Phosphate test kits are notoriously difficult to use and be accurate. The best thing to do is make a reference solution to test the accuracy of your kit and testing process.

It's super simple. Right here.

http://www.barrreport.com/estimative-index/3263-how-make-no3-po4-reference-solutions-repost-left-c.html

Good luck!

poconogal
05-14-2009, 09:27 AM
I've also read that well water usually contains a lot of phosphates which I think is why I still battle brown diatoms even though my tank is certainly not newly set up. Graham, can you confirm?

poconogal
05-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Are you in a very rocky/mountainous area? From what I've read, high phosphates in well water occur in these types areas. Obviously, being in the Pocono Mountains, I'm in a rocky/mountainous area. :D

Sharkbait
05-14-2009, 11:10 AM
What are you feeding? Some flake/dry foods contain high phosphates and ash. Are you overfeeding?

in2spd
05-15-2009, 02:51 PM
The set up is a 117 gallon planted with co2. I have 9 disc's that i feed 3-4 times daily and do a 35% wc on weekends and a 10% in the middle of the week. The feed is mostly bloods and i use tetra bits (discus crack) mysis, spirulina, and brine shrimp. If anything i think i underfeed. There is a bristlenose, a cory with amano shrimp and zebra, trumpet snails for clean up.

Wouter van Wielink
05-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I would advise some big waterchanges (70/80%) and when you feed frozen foods, rinse out carfully.

You could also add some phosphate loving plants!

This is what I did with my off the scale phosphate levels. I am doing fine now, just 0,5/1 ppm

grtz Wouter