PDA

View Full Version : Should I add yellows?

Yassmeena
05-13-2009, 08:01 PM
I have a tank of RGDs and albino turqs and albino checkerboards. I feed them prime reef to enhance their red, and will soon start feeding home made frozen to enhace red as well.

I have a chance to buy some really nice yellows. But I am concerned about adding them to this tank (and I can't start another tank) bc I would want to enhance the reds, but would be concerned about the yellows turning orange.

I can add the yellows and stop feeding PR or any other color enhancing food, but how much will their color fade?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Does having yellows and reds together mean that they will both be faded or that the yellows will turn orange if I enhance red?

Yasmin

rickztahone
05-13-2009, 08:13 PM
i wouldnt do it yass. i have 2 red melons and 2 BD's in the same tank and i can never get my blues to be really blue or my reds to be really red. you are just dealing with two completly different colors that will not compliment each other. JMHO

ShinShin
05-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Red color enhancing foods will surely turn your yellow based discus some shade of orange. It always did it to mine, anyway. I had PB based yellows and brown based yellows.

Mat

brewmaster15
05-13-2009, 09:06 PM
Red color enhancing foods will surely turn your yellow based discus some shade of orange. It always did it to mine, anyway. I had PB based yellows and brown based yellows.

Mat

My Experience has been the same as Mats.

Also keep in mind that foods not generally thought of as Red Enhancers will also turn a yellow to an orange.... Especially things containing Krill and spirullina! which makes feeding a challenge.

-al

Yassmeena
05-13-2009, 09:08 PM
Thanks for your feedback everyone!

That makes my decision pretty clear - no yellows. :(

But that's ok - reds are just as gorgeous!

Yasmin

Patr1ck
05-14-2009, 12:41 AM
Thanks for your feedback everyone!

That makes my decision pretty clear - no yellows. :(

But that's ok - reds are just as gorgeous!

Yasmin

Oranges are pretty too.;):D

Pat

ShinShin
05-14-2009, 12:53 AM
Not when you bought yellow. ;) .

Mat

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Are Albino yellows and reds affected the same way with the color enhancers? I was wondering about this...thanks guys!

rickztahone
05-14-2009, 01:59 AM
Not when you bought yellow. ;) .

Mat

LMAO. my problem is having red melons that are orange as well but like i said previously, it's difficult to favor one over the other and they both pretty much suffer at the end

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-14-2009, 02:04 AM
I plan on having, reds, blues, and yellows (albino YW) all in 1 tank eventually...so the way I see it is, just dont feed any color enhancers lol:p let the reds be reds, the blues be blues and the yellows...well, you know :D

rickztahone
05-14-2009, 02:09 AM
I plan on having, reds, blues, and yellows (albino YW) all in 1 tank eventually...so the way I see it is, just dont feed any color enhancers lol:p let the reds be reds, the blues be blues and the yellows...well, you know :D

the thing is that the things that make our discus big usually has some kind of enhancer or i'm pretty sure Yass would have taken that route. if you look at most dry foods they have one enhancer or the other. good luck with it though if you do plan on doing that and keep us posted

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-14-2009, 03:07 AM
the thing is that the things that make our discus big usually has some kind of enhancer or i'm pretty sure Yass would have taken that route. if you look at most dry foods they have one enhancer or the other. good luck with it though if you do plan on doing that and keep us posted

Yeah, I know its in some of the food that we feed regularly, but I just meant I wont go the extra mile to add any in, especially if it could have a negative, or not desired affect of another fishes color. but that was just a thought as i read the thread, Im sure ill end up throwin something extra for color when I start to make my own frozen mixes :p:D pretty sure its in the ON prime reef that I feed. :confused:

mmorris
05-14-2009, 10:55 AM
My display tank has a mix of blue sapphires, turqs, albino turqs and golden albinos. I feed a bh mix with shrimp, fbw and flake and I have no problems with my albino goldens turning orange. I have pictures of them here and there. They are as yellow as they can be.
Martha

Yassmeena
05-16-2009, 02:00 AM
My display tank has a mix of blue sapphires, turqs, albino turqs and golden albinos. I feed a bh mix with shrimp, fbw and flake and I have no problems with my albino goldens turning orange. I have pictures of them here and there. They are as yellow as they can be.
Martha

Hi Martha,

Good to hear yours have stayed yellow. I wonder if there are others with your experience (chime in, hint hint!) ;)

Yasmin

Patr1ck
05-16-2009, 04:38 AM
Hi Martha,

Good to hear yours have stayed yellow. I wonder if there are others with your experience (chime in, hint hint!) ;)

Yasmin

I have a yellow that I feed Eddies Seafood mix to. Eddies mix contains ON's prime reef flake and colorbits. My fish is still yellow. I also have a white butterfly that also looks good too.I dont have a specific pic of the yellow but he managed to achieve a head shot in this one.hth

Pat