PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Blood Parrots with Discus?

ApacheDan
05-14-2009, 03:37 PM
Are these special parrots discus-compatible?
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/parrotfishu.jpg

just kidding..:p actually I got 2 real big Blood Parrots, about 5" and real fat helping me finish cycle a 300 gal tank. Now I'm having problems getting them out of there. Anybody ever tried to see what happens if you put Parrots with Discus?

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/thunderfoil/P1000505.jpg

Sharkbait
05-14-2009, 04:40 PM
Parrots can be extremely aggressive. I wouldn't mix the two.

gotfish?
05-14-2009, 04:54 PM
hahaha if that first pic was really a fish..id be all over it in a flash lol

andy81
05-20-2009, 12:10 PM
of course there is only one way to find out...BUT i wouldnt do it. I have a female blood parrot in a 55, she started laying eggs about 8 months ago. lays the constantly and has been super agressive ever since.

Keasbeynights
05-20-2009, 02:04 PM
of course there is only one way to find out...BUT i wouldnt do it. I have a female blood parrot in a 55, she started laying eggs about 8 months ago. lays the constantly and has been super agressive ever since.

Weird. I thought they were supposed to be sterile since they were a hybrid.

dpt8
05-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Not worth stressing the discus !! Just their presence will stress them.. These guys look more like a red devil type. Not the parrot heads I'm used to seeing here.. Discus, cories, bushynose plecos, maybe a few tetras.. Nice combination...

Elite Aquaria
05-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Dan,

Personally I would not mix the two in the same tank...Just drain the tank down low and scoop out the parrots.

ApacheDan
05-21-2009, 06:56 AM
Weird. I thought they were supposed to be sterile since they were a hybrid.

They are sterile, but that doesn't stop them from laying eggs all the time and going through the motions....just sterile eggs. By the way, these are called King Kong parrots....grow a bit larger than regular Blood Parrots.

ApacheDan
05-21-2009, 06:57 AM
Dan,

Personally I would not mix the two in the same tank...Just drain the tank down low and scoop out the parrots.

Yup...exactly what I'm going to do. Since I have no place for them, I will set a 60 gal tank in the office and have them keep me company :D

KDodds
05-21-2009, 07:33 AM
I've heard of a very few random incidents of non-sterile parrots producing fry, but none that survived that I can recall.

andy81
05-21-2009, 06:14 PM
I've heard of a very few random incidents of non-sterile parrots producing fry, but none that survived that I can recall.

ive read in a magazine somewhere that there have been a few documented cases of blood parrots successfully breeding. but very rare! but she lays eggs like crazy and then that maternal instict kicks in. she'll try and come through the glass at you if your too close.