PDA

View Full Version : Mixing domestic and wild discus

Cosmicfig
05-14-2009, 05:19 PM
You know how it happens... your walking by, happen to glance up... and there he is. Looking down at you with mild curiosity, and you don't know what it is about him but you are captivated....

OK so aside from the fact that the above description would do well at the beginning of any trashy romance novel. It describes my first meeting with this wild blue discus I saw. I am very much a beginner discus keeper, and my ability at sizing up discus and understanding what makes for a good juvy is marginal at best and minimum if I'm being honest. Lots and lots still to learn. But I swear, I walked by this tank full of wild blue discus and for the first time I really looked at them. Wow they are really something I thought. One of them in particular I kept coming back to.

Now, I have a tank at home it has 1 leopard snakeskin, 1 leopard, 1 cobalt, and 1 blue turquoise. Those last three I'm not entirely sure about because the nice man I got them from didn't seem to sure of the types himself. And I just felt the need to rescue them because he was only feeding them every other day. They all range from the 2.5" to 3.5". anyway I wanted to get 2 more discus to fill the tank out... (I think you know where I'm going with this..) The wild blue i was looking at was probably in the 3.0" range.

The only reason I didn't just snatch him up and put him in a quarantine tank was a dim memory of it being a bad idea to mix domestic and wild. the thought that stopped me was that this little guy would be potentially carrying diseases/bugs that my domestics haven't been exposed to.That was a good enough reason for me (I don't want to risk my others). but the question Id like to ask is this; there must be many many reasons why you don't mix domestic and wild together and I was wondering what they are? Id like to have a wild tank some day so I'm just trying to learn as much about them as possible.

Sorry for the novel :o
thanks in advance
Maegan

Dan S
05-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Hello,

Is this what you are looking for? http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=68203

Dan

Cosmicfig
05-14-2009, 06:27 PM
yes, perfect! thanks

M