PDA

View Full Version : New discus - usual food problems

ilaizm
05-15-2009, 02:36 AM
I got 3 new discus 9 days ago from a local breeder. Since then they haven't eaten anything yet. They just ignore the food. I tried feeding two different pellets and two different flakes. I know its normal for discus to take long to start eating when they change tank but was wondering whether I can do something to instigate their appetite

1nvad3r
05-15-2009, 03:03 AM
I read somewhere in here CBW do some magic to start them up.

Eddie
05-15-2009, 03:36 AM
I got 3 new discus 9 days ago from a local breeder. Since then they haven't eaten anything yet. They just ignore the food. I tried feeding two different pellets and two different flakes. I know its normal for discus to take long to start eating when they change tank but was wondering whether I can do something to instigate their appetite

Try turning up the heat to keep the tank temp at 90F, that should get them hungry. ;)

Eddie

mmorris
05-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Nine days isn't too long but no point in waiting to ask! :) It might be useful if you could tell us more. How old are the discus? Adults? Juvies? Three isn't a good number. It often leads to excessive stress and fighting. Do you have more discus you will eventually be moving them in with? People often quarantine a small number (most of us, probably) but only for three or four weeks before they are added to an established population. What size tank are they in? What is your water change regime? Aged, heated, treated water? Temp? How are they acting otherwise? Are they hiding?
Martha

jaykne
05-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Listen to Eddie turn the temp up increase their metabolism, and try some blood worms will almost always eat them, then introduce your other foods.

Wahter
05-15-2009, 07:38 PM
If you got them from a local breeder, can you ask the breeder what they fed those discus?

Walter

discolove
05-20-2009, 01:53 AM
My new discus is being very picky with his food also. I have had him for about 2 weeks and the only thing he devours is brine shrimp. I also have been giving him beefheart and frozen bloodworms but with those he may eat a small bit, but mostly just spits it out.

penguinzorr
05-20-2009, 05:13 AM
i have this problem aswell, i have had this discus for over 2 weeks and he hasn't eaten a thing. ive tried basically all foods i can give it but it wont touch it. any suggestions?

Eddie
05-20-2009, 05:50 AM
i have this problem aswell, i have had this discus for over 2 weeks and he hasn't eaten a thing. ive tried basically all foods i can give it but it wont touch it. any suggestions?

Kick the heat up to 90F for a few days. Also, I have read that feeding California Black worms will get them eating. May also try using a garlic supplement to help entice them.

Eddie

Patr1ck
05-22-2009, 01:14 AM
Lots of breeders only feed bloodworms. Try that. If BWs are what they were used to they will eat them. Thats the only thing that my new ones would eat when I first got them. Good luck with them.

Pat