PDA

View Full Version : Corydoras

ilaizm
05-15-2009, 08:54 AM
How many cory's would you put in a 90G planted discus tank as a clean up crew? Do all different types of cory's do well in water parameters ideal for Discus or is there one kind that does better than others?

Eddie
05-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Sterbai and Adolfoi, I know do well with the elevated temps. As to how many in a 90, I would not be able to tell you. :o

Eddie

korbi_doc
05-15-2009, 10:13 AM
I had 6 C. Jullii in my 90g tank in NJ....unfortunately lost'm in the move & can't find any now...they did so well with the heat & the discus, never had any problems with'm, really liked those lil' fish.....still lookin' for more....

Dottie ;)

discusjoe27
05-23-2009, 07:02 PM
green cory catfish do good with discus, I have 10-15 in with my discus.

KDodds
05-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Since cories do bet in schools, I'd say about 12 individuals. Less than that isn't really a school of any sort. Ditto on the Sterbais, which seem to take the heat best. Most cories do not tolerate discus tank temps very well. However, if you're keeping your discus near the low end of commonly kept temps (~82ºF), more cory species will do better than they would at the higher end (~90ºF), where many species will outright fail to thrive.

MarkPulawski
05-29-2009, 09:28 PM
I have had 7 Adolfoi in my 94 gallon corner, they are doing great but I feed pretty heavy. I think 5 would be the perfect number if my discus were adults and were fed less often.
I also think Adolfoi are the most attractive of all the Cory's with a much whiter body to contrast with the orange crown on the back than the other 2 or 3 similar colored species.

Eddie
05-29-2009, 09:30 PM
I have had 7 Adolfoi in my 94 gallon corner, they are doing great but I feed pretty heavy. I think 5 would be the perfect number if my discus were adults and were fed less often.
I also think Adolfoi are the most attractive of all the Cory's with a much whiter body to contrast with the orange crown on the back than the other 2 or 3 similar colored species.

I know what you mean. The LFS here in Japan has some HUGE wild caught ones and they are $50 a piece. They are GORGEOUS too. I love them

Eddie

MarkPulawski
05-29-2009, 09:43 PM
I had some Declevis (when I set up I could not find Adolfoi) and then added 2 Adolfoi, I was blown away by the difference. I was not happy until I removed the original Cory's and then added another 5 Adolfoi's...and yes they are large and I would guess not quite full grown yet.
I would highly recommend in a discus set up as I could not imagine anyone not being happy with them. My other thought was about 25 dwarf Cory's but I could not get away from the orange color.
Fortunately living in Florida I paid only $7 each for mine, but as I tell people if you can only put a few things in your tank, always spend a little more and get the nicest fish you can find.

Eddie
05-29-2009, 10:58 PM
7 Bucks! They would be sold OUT. I'd get them all!

Eddie

Apistomaster
06-10-2009, 02:49 PM
I like the following Corydoras for Discus tanks.
C, adolfi
C. duplicareous
C. sterbai
C. trilineatus

My preference over Corydoras are Hypancistrus spp and Peckoltia sp L134, Leopard Frog Plecos.

turtlestunts
06-24-2009, 09:07 AM
I have a 72 gallon and picked up 3 skunk or panda cory's last night....they are rather small but seemed to be doing ok. Do you all suggest I pick up more?

Apistomaster
06-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Corydoras panda are among the cool water Corydoras. Best kept at 72-74*F and bred at 76*F. Not one that will live as long as they should when kept at Discus temps. They tend to get sick and waste away when kept too warm.
I have bred and raised them commercially so I do have some experience with them.

turtlestunts
06-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Corydoras panda are among the cool water Corydoras. Best kept at 72-74*F and bred at 76*F. Not one that will live as long as they should when kept at Discus temps. They tend to get sick and waste away when kept too warm.
I have bred and raised them commercially so I do have some experience with them.

I'll make sure to keep an eye on them.....they seem to be doing ok for now

darbex
07-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Pandas are cool I have Virginae in my tank and the school really well

ejhart
08-19-2009, 02:13 AM
I have 9 of them in my 75g, they do a great job of cleaning up after everyone. They also keep my substrate from being overrun by blackworms.

fishorama
08-19-2009, 01:43 PM
I hoping for oiapoquensis corys when the time comes, similar to pandas but with a striped tail. Same temp range as sterbai & cute as all get out. My LFS had them a couple times, expensive though ~$20

I'm not sure of the linking rules but here's the higher temp corys from planet catfishhttp://tiny.cc/corys