PDA

View Full Version : Shy discus...

JimH
05-15-2009, 09:38 AM
Hi All,
I'm a newb to discus and have a pair of blue turqs (that I've had for 2 weeks)that are extremely shy when I walk into my fish room. They don't seem particularly shy in the tank when I'm not there as they have already laid eggs on the side of the tank(unfortunately, the male didn't fertilize them). Every time I walk into the room, the fish go hiding behind some stacked slate that I have in one corner and do not come out until I leave the room. I may stay in the room for some time as I have other fish tanks and assorted reptile cages that i need to service. My q is..does this shyness eventually go away, or should I take some of the hiding places away from them? This is a planted tank, but some of the plants are still small and may take a while to grow up. I've dimmed some of the lights for a few days, but don't see any progress in their overcoming their shyness. Any more tips would be greatly appreciated.

mmorris
05-15-2009, 09:56 AM
I assume you bought them as a breeding pair since they laid eggs. Is your intention to breed them? If so, I would lose everything in that tank except a heater, filter and whatever you would like them to lay eggs on. Doesn't mean they will. :D All of that stuff is just providing them with a place to hide. Also, when you have fry, substrate and plants will make it difficult for you to keep the tank as clean as it needs to be. If you aren't interested in breeding, I would still lose the bigger hiding spots for a while. They'll probably adjust a lot faster in a bare tank if the water conditions are fine. If you didn't buy them as a breeding pair and they paired up anyway, well, lucky you! Be sure to post pics when you can get them to pose. We like pics. :)
Martha

seanyuki
05-15-2009, 09:58 AM
Just a suggestion....when going over to see the pair....add a pinch of food and stay there for a while.....in the long run they will recognize you as a food provider and looking forward in seeing you.

Cheers
Francis:)

JimH
05-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Hey All,
Thanks for the tips. Yes, I bought them as a breeding pair as they also laid eggs twice at my LFS. Water chem is great, so I will slowly remove said articles and leave only an egg laying spot along with filter. Thanks again.

mmorris
05-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Remember the pics, Jim. :)

jaykne
05-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Try feeding them blood worms from your hand that will really get them use to you. Mine will come right up and let me touch them.