PDA

View Full Version : noooo my jager heater!!

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-15-2009, 03:00 PM
so I was feedin my fish and just noticed that the water was ice cold! its a trip because the light on the heater was on, but the water was like 74 degrees!! :( i just ran to the LFS and got a new heater...I was buggin out! the heater is only 6 months old, havnt had any problems with these heaters till now. is it broken? the lady at the LFS is going to let me exchange it. but that scared the hell out of me. how long can discus live if your heater breaks? I coulda have easily over looked that, and went to work for the night. :( any comments? thanks guys!

seanyuki
05-15-2009, 03:10 PM
hey Jason,

same with me last night as i have some tanks in the store room....my wife switched off the lights....no power in that room....no oxygen,heater but they all survive luckily it's spring time not winter...gonna put a lock in there soon.

cheers
francis:)

brewmaster15
05-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Jason,
Ebo's are one of the few heaters that you can calibrate...Check the instructions and try to calibrate it.... Its real easy to do and I have found that it often fixes the issue....no always but often.

On another note.. 74 F won't harm your discus for the short term.:)

hth,
al

gotfish?
05-15-2009, 03:32 PM
gosh...same heater here, exact same problem! i gave up on calibrating. i took this dude's advice and called eheim to replace iy ;):D

2 brand new ebo broke in less than 6 months

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-15-2009, 07:38 PM
thanks guys! hey Al, how long could they stand a low tep? and whats considered dangerously low temp with discus? I will now have 2 of these heaters by the end of the night. anyone suggest setting 1 up as a backup? Iv seen ppl like Eddie doing this sometimes. if so, what temps would I set them at? and asfar as calibrating these heaters...do you just pull up that little tap on the top, pick the temp, then puch it back in? sorry guys im at work right now otherwise i'd research it myself. thanks alot guys!:D

-Jason-

Eddie
05-15-2009, 07:44 PM
gosh...same heater here, exact same problem! i gave up on calibrating. i took this dude's advice and called eheim to replace iy ;):D

2 brand new ebo broke in less than 6 months

This dude huh Ben, :D

3 year warranty on them. Havent had any go out on me yet. I use 2 heaters in each tank so I am never worried about it anyways. ;)

Eddie

gotfish?
05-15-2009, 08:17 PM
This dude huh Ben, :D

3 year warranty on them. Havent had any go out on me yet. I use 2 heaters in each tank so I am never worried about it anyways. ;)

Eddie

oh right it was edddie:D:D SORRY DUDE:D cause i wasnt sure who gave the advice and i dont want to just drop any name hehehe but yea, thanks for that man, oh and eheim even upgraded it from 200w to 250! :) the thing is i wonder if they would still replace it if these ones ever break AGAIN:S

discusluvr818
05-15-2009, 08:57 PM
so I was feedin my fish and just noticed that the water was ice cold! its a trip because the light on the heater was on, but the water was like 74 degrees!! :( i just ran to the LFS and got a new heater...I was buggin out! the heater is only 6 months old, havnt had any problems with these heaters till now. is it broken? the lady at the LFS is going to let me exchange it. but that scared the hell out of me. how long can discus live if your heater breaks? I coulda have easily over looked that, and went to work for the night. :( any comments? thanks guys!

That is terrible man. I had the same thing happen recently but not due to my jager heater breaking but doe to the wife unplugging it to vacuum and not plugging it back in. It was my QT tank with 3 Discus juvies and a couple German rams.

I went to the living room at like 11pm to get a snack and for some reason checked the temp with my finger and it was ice cold. It had been off for like 6 hours and I didn't know. I usually maintain two heaters also in my show tank but not in QT. Good practice in case one blows out though.

Did they send you the new version with the upgraded cord? I've noticed I have some older ones that have thin wires and a mnew one that has thick wiring, much more insulated. Best of luck to a speedy recovery. And VERY NICE fish by the way. I wish I had more space LOL. I think I saw this on here somewhere before, but if I had a pool, i'd have a really, REALLY big fish tank.

Raul~

Just here...doing water changes and taking care of my discus...

rickztahone
05-15-2009, 10:03 PM
you guys are not selling me on these Jagers

discusluvr818
05-15-2009, 10:17 PM

Mine didn't break. The wifey unplugged it unfortunately. I own 4 jager heaters. After calibrating them with a digital thermometer. They are pretty dang accurate. The newest ones now are fully submersible and much more insulated

Raul~

Just here...doing water changes and taking care of my discus...

Eddie
05-15-2009, 11:04 PM

They are the best Ricardo!

Eddie

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Ricardo, they are the best :D Im not turned off at all. so Eddie, what temp do you maintain both heaters at, when you use 1 for a backup? just wonderin...may use that plan of action. had a little scare today. and whats TOO low of a temp for discus, al says 74 was fine. it may have been closer to 70 tho. everythings cool now tho, bought a new heater, and exchanged the other. so now im up 2 new jagers for the price of one lol.

Eddie
05-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Ricardo, they are the best :D Im not turned off at all. so Eddie, what temp do you maintain both heaters at, when you use 1 for a backup? just wonderin...may use that plan of action. had a little scare today. and whats TOO low of a temp for discus, al says 74 was fine. it may have been closer to 70 tho. everythings cool now tho, bought a new heater, and exchanged the other. so now im up 2 new jagers for the price of one lol.

Depends on the tank size. I normally use 2 each 150s in my 55s or 1 200 and 1 150. It isnt really an issue here in Okinawa. In the summer time.....I will be looking for CHILLERS! LOL

Eddie

calihawker
05-15-2009, 11:24 PM

Glad everythings OK Jason ;)

If I were to have one in the tank as a backup I would set one at 85 (tank temp) that one would do all the work and set the other at say 82 so it only comes on in case of failure.

I have an aquacontroller with an alarm so my backups are sitting on the shelf in case of an emergency.

Just my .02

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-16-2009, 04:09 AM
Aqua controller with an alarm? it beeps if it gets too cold? sounds like a solid investment to me :D but now Im just all paranoid and dip my finger in haha, all is well tho. thanks to everyone for the concern, and the replies. :wave: (<---Forrest Gump wave :p)

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-28-2009, 01:12 PM
CRAAAAAP you guys!!! I wake up and check out my tank, and the temp is off by 10 degrees, I was bummed to say the least. so i figured Id try to calibrate it. the heater did look alittle different. had some moisture in it and what almost looked like a crack...so I unplug it and remove it from the tank, and the damn thing just falls apart. the glass was cracked and it just fell off, broken glass in the tank (only 2 large pieces) so I removed the heater and the glass. luckily I have a 150 watt on backup, so thats in the tank now tryin to bring the temp back up. but I am just not having good luck at all :( ...on my way out the door now back to the LFS. I really hope they just replace it for me no questions asked. Im gonna buy another as backup too. this crap is too scary!! now im always gonna be double paranoid on the temp! :(:( ill report back soon.

MSD
05-28-2009, 01:36 PM
No more glass for me, I switched to the Rena smart heater and it has a plastic cover, no breaking glass, no burned fish from spawning. It is holding the temp brilliantly. The heater I took out were the Eheims, had some drifting but overall no big problems like with the visitherm and stealth. Check out this vid of the heater, its funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5nh-cpSIjQ

Jhhnn
05-28-2009, 01:42 PM
The last time I kept fish, back in the early 90's, I used stick-on liquid crystal thermos that were big- each "square" was over 1/2" wide, and the whole display ~10" long... I could see if anything was amiss with a glance from across the room... damned if I can find 'em today, however. Just teensy ones, and cheapo digital electronic stuff...

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-28-2009, 02:52 PM
hey mark, I was going to get one of those black plastic fluval heaters with the digital temp display...but they only had 1 left, and the box looked kinda shotty, so I was able to return the jager for a brand new one, and I had 40 dollars LFS store credit...so I left with 2 brand new jagers and didnt spend a dime. so thats pretty cool. But Im tellin you guys, if I run into anymore problems with these, it wont be long before I try the rena smart, or this new fluval with the digital temp display. we will see. everyone still says the jagers are the best, and I still believe it. just had some bumps in the road lately. this "know it all" lady and the LFS owner swear by the jagers too. they say every tank they own has them in it. I dont have much experience with any other heaters, I do like these eheims, but if I keep runnin into these problems I might have to make a switch. atleast they have a good warranty so anyones that Iv replaced have been free. jeesh! atleast im alittle more at ease now, got the new heater in there bringin it back to 85, and I got another brand new one as backup incase this happens again!

thanks for the advise guys!:D:D

anyone use that black fluval model with the digi display? how do you like them??

Darrell Ward
05-28-2009, 03:22 PM
My son keeps coming over when no one is home and taking my spare heaters and spare everything else for his growing african stocks. I'll think I shall change the locks, then kick his behind! :mad:

Jhhnn
05-28-2009, 04:03 PM
My son keeps coming over when no one is home and taking my spare heaters and spare everything else for his growing african stocks. I'll think I shall change the locks, then kick his behind! :mad:

Heh. At least he grew up and moved out.

Africans... never appealed to me.. Woofers, every last one. Maybe if they could actually bark...