PDA

View Full Version : Head Strinking!

huskysglare
05-18-2009, 04:20 AM
My discus's head is shrinking. I had 7 discus. the first discus that got the disease was about 2 months ago. 1 of the 7 discus's head began to shrink and it became thinner and thinner. Unfortunately that one died. After that discus died, another discus's head began to shrink as well. it takes about a month for that discus to die of similar head shrinking disease. Now, another one's head began to shrink. HELP PLEASE!!!! Does anyone knows the problem and how to treat it?

The disease seems to take the discus 1 by 1. I now have 5 in a 120 g tank. I change the water about once every 2 week.

Eddie
05-18-2009, 04:21 AM
Are the fish eating?

huskysglare
05-18-2009, 04:24 AM
The fish is eating fine. He's very competitive when it comes to eating. but his head still shrinks.

Eddie
05-18-2009, 04:28 AM
The fish is eating fine. He's very competitive when it comes to eating. but his head still shrinks.

Sounds to me like you need to deworm them. Try to either get a hold of some Levimasole or if your fish take flake food, there is amazing deworming flake made by AngelPlus that I recommend. It is the business, no doubt! One thing though, if your fish do not already readily accept flake food, they may not jump on it.

I have all three of these in case I need to use them. Best investment I ever made, I tell you.

http://www.angelsplus.com/FlakeMedicated.htm

All the best,
Eddie

huskysglare
05-18-2009, 04:33 AM
my fish eat strictly FBW. i don't think they'll eat flakes. Can you send me a link for a good deworming meds for FBW discus?

Eddie
05-18-2009, 04:44 AM
my fish eat strictly FBW. i don't think they'll eat flakes. Can you send me a link for a good deworming meds for FBW discus?

You can soak FBWs in this solution for several hours (in the fridge) and then feed them the FBWs.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754520

I have used another brand but its the same medication, piperazine.

One thing I would advise though is that you need to add something else to your fishes diet. The fish is lacking in alot of nutrients from just eating FBWs. Your fish are most likely thinning out due to nutrient difficiency from internal worms absorbing whatever minimal nutrients the FBWs are providing.

Eddie

huskysglare
05-18-2009, 04:58 AM
What kind of diet do you recommend? Dog Dworming works on fish as well???

Eddie
05-18-2009, 05:12 AM
What kind of diet do you recommend? Dog Dworming works on fish as well???

For the most part, Piperazine is dewormer and can be fed to fish to rid them of internal worms.

I would try to get them on a good pellet or good flake food to round out the fishes diet. It is best to give them a full spectrum of nutrients. They are much like humans. If we only ate hotdogs everyday, what type of health do you think we would have. Fish, just as humans needs vitamins and essential minerals for proper health and development. ;)

Ocean Nutrition makes very good Flake and Pellet

Eddie

Daniella
05-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Do you mean frozen blood worm? if so then this is really not nutritious enough. Try doing a beefheart mix as there are many reference and different way to prepare it on the web. This is very rich food and I feed mine with it.

Also my discus did not want to eat anything that is pellet or flakes and then I tried these and most of mine eat it:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+7927+20445&pcatid=20445

you should give this food a try. I was very skeptical since my fish never wanted to eat anything like that even if I would starve them couple of days, then they eated this food and seemed to like it. There is rarely any left over from it.

I give mine beefheart, FBW and discus flakes, sometime I mix beefheart and bloodworms and sometimes I give only flakes so if they are really ungry they will eat it.

huskysglare
05-20-2009, 04:55 AM
how many times do i dose them and for how long? the bottle doesn't say how many times or how long.

Eddie
05-20-2009, 05:10 AM
Are you talking about the dewormer?

Eddie

huskysglare
05-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Yes, It doesn't say how many times i should use it and for how long.

Eddie
05-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Yes, It doesn't say how many times i should use it and for how long.

I'd feed the fish twice a day with the soaked worms for about 3 or 4 days, siphoning out any feces that the fish drop. ;)

Eddie