PDA

View Full Version : First time spawners

trebor69
05-18-2009, 05:31 PM
I have a group of 8 BDs in a 75 gallon tank.

bought them at around 2-2.5 inches last August

About 3 weeks ago eggs started showing up but they didnt appear to be fertile and were eaten by others. I am going to guess that I have witnessed eggs being laid about 5-6 times in the last 3 weeks.

Most of the time I watched as one discus laid eggs and 1 or 2 of the others followed immediately behind eating them. One time there appeared to be a pair guarding the eggs but the following day the eggs were all gone.

I know theres got to be more than one male in there but they don't appear interested as I haven't witness any males making their pass over the eggs.

And there has to be several females laying because I have had too many batches in a short time span. Its so dang hard sometimes to tell these solid blue fish apart.

Do the females mature faster? These are Stendker BDs that based on their size when I bought them are somewhere between 11 and 12 months old.

As I type this I am watching another batch of eggs being laid. This time there appears to be a male sort of trying to get things right. I have seen him make a couple passes but he is not doing it in a timely matter. The female is making 3-4 passes to his one.

I know there is not much chance of success in with the other fishes(also 10 Sterbai cories) but I was hoping to atleast see wigglers so that I know it is a fertile/compatible pair before I attempt to relocate them to their own tank.

So how about it....are the males too young yet?
Any chance of getting to wiggler stage in a tank with 6 other discus and 10 Sterbais?

on a side note....I also have a pair of black angels that laid eggs in another tank and HOLY COW there must be 600+ eggs on the cone. Man if all those hatch I would need a swimming pool to hold the babies. No dang wonder angels are easy and cheap to buy.

mmorris
05-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Jeez, how 'bout sending the rest of us some of your water! The males might not be too young, although I was under the impression blue diamonds matured a bit later than other varieties. I could be wrong. You could get wrigglers in that tank but they won't go far. :D I guess you know that. You could wait and see if they hatch. You could put a mesh over the eggs to protect them. I'd pull a pair and put them into their own 29 gal. because, well, what the heck!

trebor69
05-19-2009, 12:03 AM
Jeez, how 'bout sending the rest of us some of your water! The males might not be too young, although I was under the impression blue diamonds matured a bit later than other varieties. I could be wrong. You could get wrigglers in that tank but they won't go far. :D I guess you know that. You could wait and see if they hatch. You could put a mesh over the eggs to protect them. I'd pull a pair and put them into their own 29 gal. because, well, what the heck!

yah I thought I remembered reading that somewhere also

well the batch that was laid when I posted has already been eaten

BUT another female is laying now and looks like one more female is preparing for tomorrow

got me whats going on....guess I will just give them more time and hope to positively identify a male soon

Roxanne
05-19-2009, 01:43 AM
can you get decent pics of their "thingys"?

mmorris
05-19-2009, 08:26 AM
Roxy: a `thingy' is a filter part. The proper term for what you are referring to is `bits'. Their little `bits'. :)

Roxanne
05-19-2009, 05:59 PM
lolol...sorry M...my bad :D

trebor69
05-21-2009, 10:38 PM
pics.... I dunno about pics...I could try

I am able to identify male/female from their 'bits' haha thats not the problem

I dont see any male bits....only female bits. Thats why I thought maybe the males just aren't old enuff to be interested yet.

if I could see a definite male participating I would pull the new couple and let them try in their own tank.

mmorris
05-22-2009, 09:19 AM
pics.... I dunno about pics...I could try

I am able to identify male/female from their 'bits' haha thats not the problem

I dont see any male bits....only female bits.

Are you sure you can identify male from female? I'm pretty bad at it.

Roxanne
05-22-2009, 10:02 AM
.I dont see any male bits....only female bits. Thats why I thought maybe the males just aren't old enuff to be interested yet.

If they all look the same....they are probably all the same sex

trebor69
05-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Are you sure you can identify male from female? I'm pretty bad at it.

yah...if you witness a pair spawning....the difference in their 'bits' is usually pretty obvious....at least to me in my limited experience

still more of the same going on in the tank....females laying but no males fertilizing and eggs being eaten

the sterbai cories in there are spawning a lot also but the eggs are always eaten. Thats a neat thing to observe. I had to call my gf in to watch them lastnite do their 'T' position and clasp the eggs in their fins

got 60 new albino BN plecos too getting to be about 3/4" now

now if I could just get these guys to spawn

TankWatcher
05-26-2009, 04:36 AM
Maybe this might help http://www.discusnews.com/article/cat-02/sexdiscus.shtml