PDA

View Full Version : Dead Discus

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Hi Everyone. I did a water change this morning about 80% the discus looked fine before and after the change.

By the time my wife got home after dropping me off at work 2 had died. She did a water test and NitrATES was 5-10 ppm, Ammonia was 0-.25ppm, ph was 7.6, nitrITES was 0.

All the others are fine

any ideas?

wannafish
05-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Hello,

I can empathize with you. Sorry for your lost!
I hate the look of a dead discus. I know I just
lost two of mine last week. I was bummed.
If you read and learn from this forum, the most
important thing to consider is to age your water.
I have had success using water from the tap and
adding de-chlor etc. to the water, but now I am
aging water. It was my mistake that my fish
died. Another thing to do if you use tap water,
is add an air stone. And another thing to be
aware is that is you use municipal water they
add chloramine. My water company adds it
every month, and unfortunately last week
is when they added it. Deadly! Be aware!
That is why I am not using tap water again!

jeff

Roxanne
05-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Mate...Sorry to hear about your loss. Could she have been wrong about the ammonia reading? That much ammonia won't kill them anyway. If it was chlorine in the water, they'd all be dead. Something is weird here.

Were they juvies or grown fish?

Roxanne

discusluvr818
05-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Hi Everyone. I did a water change this morning about 80% the discus looked fine before and after the change.

By the time my wife got home after dropping me off at work 2 had died. She did a water test and NitrATES was 5-10 ppm, Ammonia was 0-.25ppm, ph was 7.6, nitrITES was 0.

All the others are fine

any ideas?

First off my condolences to the lost fish, that is tragic indeed. How many Discus, other other inhabitants in the tank? Any new additions recently? Were they showing any signs of distress at all in the past few weeks/month?

That is strange and unfortunate. How many others in the tank at the time?

Chad Hughes
05-18-2009, 06:06 PM
What kind of dechlor do you use?

Water tables change, especially in areas that have a large melt off (like Michigan). I am one that likes to age and filter water no matter what. 24 hours of aging in a holding tank or other aquarium without fish PLUS prime should be great! My only concern would be any type of chemical in the water, pesticides for instance are picked up in runoff.

If you can't age your water, add the water to the tank THROUGH a carbon block filter. You can pick these up at any RO supply for a few bucks. It's definately worth the piece of mind. You can still add sraight from the tap this way and just add your decholr to the tank. Yes, I still add dechlor to ALL tanks undergoing water change.

Best wishes!

gotfish?
05-18-2009, 06:49 PM
yea, maybe you forgot to add some dechlor? its a honest mistake that i myself forget from time to time...i would be in the shower after water change and be questioning myself if id forgot to put some water conditioner in my tank or not...sorry to hear about your fish dude

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. I defo used dechlorinator. I use seachem prime. I did absolutly nothing different as to my usual dailey water changes. Though i have to admit it has been 3 days since the last water change on this occasion. Normally when i do a water change the look really happy and their colours really come out and this was no different this morning. The water that went in was from the usual source "Tap" and the tank temp is 84 and i add water around 84-86.

There was 10 discus in there around 2 1/2 - 3" in size. The tank is 55 gallon.

Its weird how they all look fine other than the 2 that snuffed it.

My first guess when she called to tell me was Ammonia as i know quick death can come from that.

Hey Avionics do you have a link to a carbon filter block please?

Any more suggestions?

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Mate...Sorry to hear about your loss. Could she have been wrong about the ammonia reading? That much ammonia won't kill them anyway. If it was chlorine in the water, they'd all be dead. Something is weird here.

Were they juvies or grown fish?

Roxanne

Juvies Roxy

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Hello,

I can empathize with you. Sorry for your lost!
I hate the look of a dead discus. I know I just
lost two of mine last week. I was bummed.
If you read and learn from this forum, the most
important thing to consider is to age your water.
I have had success using water from the tap and
adding de-chlor etc. to the water, but now I am
aging water. It was my mistake that my fish
died. Another thing to do if you use tap water,
is add an air stone. And another thing to be
aware is that is you use municipal water they
add chloramine. My water company adds it
every month, and unfortunately last week
is when they added it. Deadly! Be aware!
That is why I am not using tap water again!

jeff

HI Jeff aging is something i have been thinking about but i dont have stacks of room. Plus as the fish have been doing so well i decided to stick as i was.

Chad Hughes
05-18-2009, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the replies. I defo used dechlorinator. I use seachem prime. I did absolutly nothing different as to my usual dailey water changes. Though i have to admit it has been 3 days since the last water change on this occasion. Normally when i do a water change the look really happy and their colours really come out and this was no different this morning. The water that went in was from the usual source "Tap" and the tank temp is 84 and i add water around 84-86.

There was 10 discus in there around 2 1/2 - 3" in size. The tank is 55 gallon.

Its weird how they all look fine other than the 2 that snuffed it.

My first guess when she called to tell me was Ammonia as i know quick death can come from that.

Hey Avionics do you have a link to a carbon filter block please?

Any more suggestions?

You bet!

This is the one that I use. I generate RO water but mix it with tap. The tap water that I use runs through this filter. NONE of the water that I use for water changes goes in to the tank without some sort of filtration. This link takes you to the H2O Science Ebay store. I've had great success with this seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/REVERSE-OSMOSIS-Catalytic-Carbon-Add-on-kit_W0QQitemZ260214712346QQihZ016QQcategoryZ46310Q QcmdZViewItem

If you decide that this is the route you want to go, be sure to order a hose bib adapter with it. This way you can connect it right to a hose faucet.

Best wishes!

mmorris
05-18-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm so sorry to hear. What a bummer. How long have you had them? They're pretty small, so I'm guessing not long. You might want to call the water company and see if they did anything different.

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm so sorry to hear. What a bummer. How long have you had them? They're pretty small, so I'm guessing not long. You might want to call the water company and see if they did anything different.

Yeah i might do that thanks

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 07:16 PM
''...She did a water test and NitrATES was 5-10 ppm, Ammonia was 0-.25ppm, ph was 7.6, nitrITES was 0....''

Sorry about the loss but there's nothing wrong with those water parameter numbers and NH3 does not kill quick.

This just might be a case of ''discus'':confused:

Hi Graham I know what you mean. I really expected to come home tonight to find them all sick but i was amazed to find the others look absolutly fine.

One of the ones that died was stunted i think and the other one had promise to be a really nice fish.

If i had been here i would of gave them mouth to mouth or put the jump leads on to them

Im annoyed really as now i have to convince the wife i need to buy some more

Futher muckimg Discus :D

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 07:19 PM
You bet!

This is the one that I use. I generate RO water but mix it with tap. The tap water that I use runs through this filter. NONE of the water that I use for water changes goes in to the tank without some sort of filtration. This link takes you to the H2O Science Ebay store. I've had great success with this seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/REVERSE-OSMOSIS-Catalytic-Carbon-Add-on-kit_W0QQitemZ260214712346QQihZ016QQcategoryZ46310Q QcmdZViewItem

If you decide that this is the route you want to go, be sure to order a hose bib adapter with it. This way you can connect it right to a hose faucet.

Best wishes!

Thanks How often do you have to change the filter? and can you connect this to a python?

Cheers

mmorris
05-18-2009, 07:20 PM
How long have you had them?

Eddie
05-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Very sorry to hear about your loss. What have you fed the fish?

Eddie

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 07:27 PM
How long have you had them?

2 months i think. Maybe a tad longer

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Very sorry to hear about your loss. What have you fed the fish?

Eddie

Eddi..... your Recipe :D:D:D:D

Eddie
05-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Eddi..... your Recipe :D:D:D:D

LOL, and nothing else?

Eddie

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 07:56 PM
[QUOTE=basshead;535336]LOL, and nothing else?

Eddie[/QUOTE

Prime reef a few times a week but other than that your cocktail of death lol

Cheers Eddie

Eddie
05-18-2009, 07:59 PM
[QUOTE=basshead;535336]LOL, and nothing else?

Eddie[/QUOTE

Prime reef a few times a week but other than that your cocktail of death lol

Cheers Eddie

Man, you better stop using it then. LOL

Thats strange that you just up and lost 2. Are there any symptoms at all? One gill function, swimming irregularities, anything?

Eddie

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=traversediscus;535340]

Man, you better stop using it then. LOL

Thats strange that you just up and lost 2. Are there any symptoms at all? One gill function, swimming irregularities, anything?

Eddie

Theres nothing. I got her to freeze the deceased so i could check them out and other than being dark and dead the look fine. Its very strange. I have 2 cardinals in there aswell they again are fine

Weird

Eddie
05-18-2009, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=basshead;535343]

Theres nothing. I got her to freeze the deceased so i could check them out and other than being dark and dead the look fine. Its very strange. I have 2 cardinals in there aswell they again are fine

Weird

Very strange, any overspray of cleaning materials, windex or dust spray?

Eddie

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE=traversediscus;535344]

Very strange, any overspray of cleaning materials, windex or dust spray?

Eddie

Jesus Eddie That would be proof that the wife cleans :D:D:D

less likey than American football using their feet :D

Eddie
05-18-2009, 10:12 PM
[QUOTE=basshead;535352]

Jesus Eddie That would be proof that the wife cleans :D:D:D

less likey than American football using their feet :D

Hey well....maybe she tried and F*ed it all up, LOL Just joking

Eddie

Roxanne
05-18-2009, 10:19 PM
on your wife's behalf :p...

:D

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=traversediscus;535354]

Hey well....maybe she tried and F*ed it all up, LOL Just joking

Eddie

Dude Never. I think she is trying to auditon for a Fish called Wanda lol

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 10:28 PM
on your wife's behalf :p...

:D

Roxy Just remember how you got to oz. you have us to thank lol.

sorry Joke lol

Eddie
05-18-2009, 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=basshead;535426]

Dude Never. I think she is trying to auditon for a Fish called Wanda lol

You are crazy, if she reads this post, you be in the dog house.....LOL

Eddie

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 10:29 PM
[QUOTE=traversediscus;535433]

You are crazy, if she reads this post, you be in the dog house.....LOL

Eddie

She is stood over my shoulder lol

Eddie
05-18-2009, 10:30 PM
[QUOTE=basshead;535438]

She is stood over my shoulder lol

LOL, Sorry Mrs. Traversediscus, no harm intended. :o

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE=traversediscus;535440]

LOL, Sorry Mrs. Traversediscus, no harm intended. :o

I still think she put hair product in the tank after i left this morning

Eddie
05-18-2009, 10:32 PM
[QUOTE=basshead;535441]

I still think she put hair product in the tank after i left this morning

Just tell her that you need to buy more to replace them. Then she'll stop killing them. LOL

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 10:38 PM
[QUOTE=traversediscus;535443]

Just tell her that you need to buy more to replace them. Then she'll stop killing them. LOL

So i guess i should reveal a great story

When she was in England at my house she was cleaning my room (yes she knows her job :D)

Anywaaaaaay she was cleaning around my bed and felt magazines under my bed. Now in my defense I think she was snooping to degrade me. She said she thought uh oh whats this.

She discovered that they were fish mags and not the other kind of thing normally associated with a male and a bedroom. My street cred is ruined lol

:D:D:D:D:D

Eddie
05-18-2009, 10:40 PM
[QUOTE=basshead;535445]

So i guess i should reveal a great story

When she was in England at my house she was cleaning my room (yes she knows her job :D)

Anywaaaaaay she was cleaning around my bed and felt magazines under my bed. Now in my defense I think she was snooping to degrade me. She said she thought uh oh whats this.

She discovered that they were fish mags and not the other kind of thing normally associated with a male and a bedroom. My street cred is ruined lol

:D:D:D:D:D

LOL, that is either funny or gross! :o

Eddie

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 10:44 PM
[QUOTE=traversediscus;535447]

LOL, that is either funny or gross! :o

Eddie

she did say she would have preferred to find the other kind thus realising im not a cool dude and that i was a borderline trekkie of the aqua kind lol

Eddie
05-18-2009, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE=basshead;535449]

she did say she would have preferred to find the other kind thus realising im not a cool dude and that i was a borderline trekkie of the aqua kind lol

LOL, trekkie huh, guess your just a fish junky!

Eddie

Scribbles
05-18-2009, 10:52 PM
If you had a slight ammonia reading after an 80% wc I wonder what the reading was before. Maybe that had them stressed.

Chris

Eddie
05-18-2009, 10:55 PM
If you had a slight ammonia reading after an 80% wc I wonder what the reading was before. Maybe that had them stressed.

Chris

Look at that, Chris is on top of his game. ;) Good call

Eddie

traversediscus
05-18-2009, 10:55 PM
[QUOTE=traversediscus;535453]

LOL, trekkie huh, guess your just a fish junky!

Eddie

I really think this is a very underated hobby. So many people laugh or look at you like freak when you tell them but once they have a tank its crazy addictive.

Thanks for the laughs tonight i needed them before i Discus fish pasta tomorrow

I hope this was just a one off weird thing.

Scribbles
05-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Why were you hiding fish mags under the bed? Never mind...I don't think that I want to know. LOL Just kidding.

Chris

Roxanne
05-19-2009, 12:54 AM
Roxy Just remember how you got to oz. you have us to thank lol.

sorry Joke lol

Well, my heritage is far nobler than convict status. My Paternal great grandfather was a Swedish merchant marine who jumped ship in Australia....how's THAT for nobility lol :D

either way, I'm sure glad to be here:)

traversediscus
05-19-2009, 07:45 AM

Chris

Yup was thinking about that aswell, I know they can get used to Ammonia to a degree.

traversediscus
05-19-2009, 07:47 AM
Well, my heritage is far nobler than convict status. My Paternal great grandfather was a Swedish merchant marine who jumped ship in Australia....how's THAT for nobility lol :D

either way, I'm sure glad to be here:)

I bet you are. Shows how dumb we are putting all the convicts on a stunningly hot island whilst we remained on cold wet England lol.

traversediscus
05-19-2009, 07:49 AM
Why were you hiding fish mags under the bed? Never mind...I don't think that I want to know. LOL Just kidding.

Chris

I had a small room lol

Chad Hughes
05-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks How often do you have to change the filter? and can you connect this to a python?

Cheers

It all depends on how much water you change out. I only use about 40 gallons per month through that filter. The rest is RO/DI. I change it about once a year. You may have to go 6 months if you are doing more.

Best wishes!