PDA

View Full Version : Potential gill fluke

discolove
05-19-2009, 01:35 AM
I am pretty new to this so bear with me. I have one royal blue discus and he is fairly new. I have only had this guy for going on two weeks. I believe he has a gill fluke. I noticed he was only using one gill to breath. Later after that I see that he switched gills and was using the other instead. Well then today I see that he is using both gills at times, but then only one at other times. I am confused as to what is going on. He was also shaking a bit and opening his gills very wide for a couple of minutes and then he calmed down. I ordered prazipro incase and want to do a treatment just to be sure. I have read different things on and would like to get a straight answer on the dosage, water changes etc... required when treating. Any help is appreciated as I would just like a nice healthy discus.

MRQuad
05-19-2009, 02:21 AM
hi,

welcome to SD!

me and my friend have the same problem too! we have a thread for this too..

you can choose the following..

= 1/4 teasponful per 10G.. 3 days with prazipro, 4 days off, 3 days with prazipro, 4 days off, 3 days with prazipro, 4 days off and one least treatment. this should take care of them all.

= Recommended treatment for safety of fish. Treatment with Prazi has been shown to be effective. Routine = 1/4 teaspoon/20 gallons, wait 48 hours, change 50% water, repeat, continuing for a full 21 days without interruption (Prazi also eliminates tapeworm, do not be surprised if the fish have one, it will come out)

and for the complete thread for your reference..

just click the link:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=70730

hope that helps..

marvin

kaceyo
05-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Hi Guys,
You need to be very careful when passing on instructions for using meds. First, these instructions are for pure Prazi powder only. Not the liquid or other forms offered more frequently. The 1/4tsp per 20gals is already a double dose of prazi, so adding 1/4 tsp per 10gals previously mentioned would be 4 times the manufaturers recommended dose. The recommended dose from the manufacturer is 1/10th gram per 10gals water. 1/4 tsp of pure prazi is aprox 4/10ths, or 0.4, grams, and treats 40gals. We can double that to 1/4tsp per 20gals safely and many people have claimed to get better results that way, including myself.
I would recommend highly that anyone considering using any med gets familiar with the type and brand of med being used and the manufacturers recommended dosage, along with the recommendations given here or elsewhere.
Thanks,

Kacey

discolove
05-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the information both of you. Im still waiting on the prazi to arrive. Thankfully my discus is doing pretty well at the moment.

MRQuad
05-20-2009, 01:10 AM
Hi Guys,
You need to be very careful when passing on instructions for using meds. First, these instructions are for pure Prazi powder only. Not the liquid or other forms offered more frequently. The 1/4tsp per 20gals is already a double dose of prazi, so adding 1/4 tsp per 10gals previously mentioned would be 4 times the manufaturers recommended dose. The recommended dose from the manufacturer is 1/10th gram per 10gals water. 1/4 tsp of pure prazi is aprox 4/10ths, or 0.4, grams, and treats 40gals. We can double that to 1/4tsp per 20gals safely and many people have claimed to get better results that way, including myself.
I would recommend highly that anyone considering using any med gets familiar with the type and brand of med being used and the manufacturers recommended dosage, along with the recommendations given here or elsewhere.
Thanks,

Kacey

i am so sorry, the instruction were from you and the other one where from the archive.. and i meant, it's for the powder prazi not the liquid.. i have overlooked the prazi pro.. my bad..

i think the best bet would be following what the manufacturing have mentioned on the bottle.. to be safe..

goodluck to the TC..

joe l
05-22-2009, 12:57 AM
Is the fish in with other types of fish?If you have gravel do a couple good gravel vacs and be sure to wipe clean the sides of the tank before adding the Prazi pro.

discolove
05-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Yes their are other types of fish in with the discus. I have some clown loaches, tetras, red tail shark and gouramis. Im planning on doing a vaccum, wiping down the sides and then adding 1/2 tsp per 20 gallons. The manufacturer says 1 full tsp per 20 gallons but im going to do a lower dosage just to be safe then see where to go from there. I will put the prazi in, do a 50% water change in 2 days and then put more prazi in for the amount of water I have taken out, then continue on that cycle for 3 weeks.

kaceyo
05-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Personaly I don't think using a half dose is a good idea. In fact I'd be thinking of using a higher dose than recommended if anything. All the info I've read about using Prazi on flukes indicates that they are more resistant to it now than they used to be, and many are finding they have to use higher than recommended doses to get good results. Using a half dose would not be enough to kill the flukes, but would allow them to build up a resistance to the med so that even high doses of Prazi would be useless in the future.
It's rarely a good idea to low dose with meds unless there is a documented reason to do so. Also, Prazi is a mild, low risk med to begin with, so why low dose it?

Kacey

discolove
05-22-2009, 10:38 PM
Alright I will add it up the full dosage then.