PDA

View Full Version : Little Water Change!?

huskysglare
05-19-2009, 05:47 AM
Is there a way to set up a discus tank so that i don't have to change water every day or every other day? I have a 50g Tank. I just want to keep like 2-4 adult discus. I'll probably have a sump. Is there anyway to make it so that I don't have to change the water for 2-4 weeks?

Eddie
05-19-2009, 06:05 AM
Adult discus generally don't need as frequent waterchanges as do young fish, since you are are not feeding them heavily. Now all this depends on the tank size, stocking levels (discus and any other fish), and filtration. There are plenty of people with large planted tanks that do less frequent water changes. Having a nice, self-contained planted tank is always one option. Maybe send a PM to Avionics30 and ask some advice on how he manages his set-ups.

Now, having adult fish, good water quality should be maintained for the health of the fish. Poor water quality makes it easy for Discus to fall ill with disease.

Eddie

huskysglare
05-19-2009, 06:29 AM
My tank is 50g with 15g sump. I'll use the sump as a filter. How often do you think i need to change the water if i were to keep 2 or 3 adult discus?

Elite Aquaria
05-19-2009, 06:51 AM
Are you using a wet dry filter? If so, how many times per hour are you turning the water in your tank? If your filter is turning 5-6 times per hour then I would say you could get by with a 50% once per week as long as you did not stock the tank with more than 3 discus...are you planing on stocking it with other fish? Everything depends on your water quality...

KDodds
05-19-2009, 07:35 AM
You can also do an Algal Turf Scrubber (ATS) type of set up. Using hair algae mats, or other very fast growing plants life, and intense lighting in the sump, you can allow for plant biomass to incorporate accumulating pollutants for removal. It's a heck of a lot easier removing 50% of the plant growth once per week than doing those daily water changes. HOWEVER, you need to be sure that you've enough growth. If you're not removing substantial amounts of plant or algae biomass on a weekly basis, something's not working properly.

mmorris
05-19-2009, 08:41 AM
I would still do wc's twice a week.
A head's up: if you only want a very few discus, I highly recommend you get a breeding pair. Two that are not paired up or a group of only three could spell serious trouble for at least one of them. I recommend a group of not less than six unless there are two and they are a mated pair.

Don Trinko
05-19-2009, 08:41 AM
IMO; 5 fish would be better but 4 might be ok. Three is a bad number, 2 only if a pair.
I do 2 50% wc a week in simmilar tanks. One 50% per week as mentioned above ( by someone more knowledgeable that I am) is ok but you will have to be carefull not to overfeed. All of this IMO; Don T.

Chad Hughes
05-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Are you using a wet dry filter? If so, how many times per hour are you turning the water in your tank? If your filter is turning 5-6 times per hour then I would say you could get by with a 50% once per week as long as you did not stock the tank with more than 3 discus...are you planing on stocking it with other fish? Everything depends on your water quality...

Agree with Dan here. Turnover is definately inportant. When trying to minimize water changes it's best to offer the environment every possible option. The following items will help:

Plants
Bottom feeders (coreys and SAEs work nicely)
Fine (sand) substrate

You can comfortably place 5 adult fish in your aquarium. I'd recommend it. Anything less should be a breeding pair or you'll have some agression issues.

I do water changes once a week on my big community tank. It's heavily planted, uses a sump + canister, has sand, and stays relatively spotless.

Hope this helps!

Chad Hughes
05-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Adult discus generally don't need as frequent waterchanges as do young fish, since you are are not feeding them heavily. Now all this depends on the tank size, stocking levels (discus and any other fish), and filtration. There are plenty of people with large planted tanks that do less frequent water changes. Having a nice, self-contained planted tank is always one option. Maybe send a PM to Avionics30 and ask some advice on how he manages his set-ups.

Now, having adult fish, good water quality should be maintained for the health of the fish. Poor water quality makes it easy for Discus to fall ill with disease.

Eddie

That's how I roll! ;)

YSS
05-19-2009, 01:28 PM

Just curious, why does the turn over rate matter?

Chad Hughes
05-19-2009, 02:54 PM
The more frequently the entire contents of the tank passes over the filter, the better your water quality will be.

Best wishes!

YSS
05-19-2009, 03:26 PM
The more frequently the entire contents of the tank passes over the filter, the better your water quality will be.

Best wishes!

What part of water quality would be better as long as your ammonia and nitrite stay zero? I suppose mechnical filteration would be better, but that really wouldn't contribute much to the water quality that really matters, no? You see all eheim filters and they have barely 3 times turn over rate and yet they are rated as the best filter in the market. Just trying to learn...

Chad Hughes
05-19-2009, 03:39 PM
What part of water quality would be better as long as your ammonia and nitrite stay zero? I suppose mechnical filteration would be better, but that really wouldn't contribute much to the water quality that really matters, no? You see all eheim filters and they have barely 3 times turn over rate and yet they are rated as the best filter in the market. Just trying to learn...

There is way more to water quality than just the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate that you test for. Those three tests are made to ensure that you won't kill your fish. The more you are able to filter the water, the more particulate you take out, the better the gas exchange, etc. Sumps are GREAT filters since they are open and promote gas exchange. With discus, the best filtration you can provide, the better. I know that the Eheim filter is highly regarded amongst aquarium keepers. I've never owned one so I can't really say.

What I do know is those are canisters just like all the rest. IMO when it comes to canisters, it's all in what you prefer. I like the Fluval FX5 on my 150. Works great! I also have a 30 gallon wet/dry on that tank. Turnover in the 150 is nearly 10 times an hour. Naturally all of my basic readings are perfect. On top of that, phosphate stays less than 10 and the ORP is pretty steady around 300. I haven't tried shutting down the sump to see if anything changes. In my book, if it aint broke, don't fix it. LOL!

Anyway, I hope that this helps you understand a bit better. Let me know if you have any questions.

Best wishes!

huskysglare
05-19-2009, 04:47 PM
This will only be a 2 discus tank. There won't be any other fish, well, maybe an algae cleaner. I am planning to use a sock filter to collect poop, and follow by a bunch of bioballs before return it back to the tank. Also, i will have 2 x 125 g sponge filter.

Chad Hughes
05-19-2009, 04:57 PM
You'll be fine with that!

Best wishes!

huskysglare
05-20-2009, 04:54 AM
How often do you think i can go without water change on this set up?

Eddie
05-20-2009, 05:15 AM
How often do you think i can go without water change on this set up?

Depending on your water make-up (KH, GH, PH), amount of feeds (times a day), type of feeds (messy or clean foods like flake or pellet), I say a week tops. ;)

Eddie

Chad Hughes
05-20-2009, 11:05 PM
I agree with Eddie here. I'm one to conserve water, but never go without at least a 50% change weekly.

Best wishes!

Eddie
05-21-2009, 12:01 AM
I agree with Eddie here. I'm one to conserve water, but never go without at least a 50% change weekly.

Best wishes!

Uh oh.....Chad agrees with me? Do you have fever? http://www.auburnfootball.com/GIFS/thumbs.gif

Just kidding Chad, its all good my friend!

Eddie

DLock3d
05-21-2009, 12:04 AM

Best wishes!

Ha ha ha ha. Yeah Chad, you have to be now with all that crap you guys are dealing with. Were you always a tree hugger or just because of the new water problems? :p Water is renewable you know! I'm just kidding bro. <3