PDA

View Full Version : 5 strains - help with ID?

zn394
05-20-2009, 07:51 AM
I would like to know what kind of discus I have. The suppliers were confusing in their responses. I know most are stunted and they range in size from 2 1/2" to a little over 4". Any critiques would be appeciated as well. Don't worry, I know they're not the best, so I won't be offended by the truth.

Eddie
05-20-2009, 07:57 AM
Pictures 1, 3 and 5 look like some type of Red Turq, possibly red scribbled.

Picture 2 looks like a cobalt and picture 4 has 14 bars so a form of snakeskin but not really sure what kind. Don't see any fine lines in the face.

Eddie

mmorris
05-20-2009, 08:01 AM
They appear to be all red turqs to me, although the second one may be a blue turq. You already know they are stunted but the shapes are poor as well. Two and possibly three appear oval, several are beaky or pointy and on some the shape of the forehead below the dorsal is bumpy. The pattern isn't as bold as it could be. Sorry Jeff, these will make great pets but I wouldn't use them for breeding.

zn394
05-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Ok, so what I was told from the source was pics 1, 3, 4, and 5 would be from 3 choices: rss, red scribble, or brilliant turk. The fifth in that group is the one in my avatar - easy, a bss. Pic 2 is anyone's guess other than to say some kind of turk maybe, the breeder uses her own cute names (she calls these Aztec Envy).

When counting bars, aren't there just 3 counts? I believe 14, 9 and 7 or something like that? And are the prominent head and caudal peduncle bars counted? Correct my ignorance, but I would say 1, 2 and 3 have 7 bars; 4 has 14; and 5 has 9.

No longer worried about the quality Martha, I know these are "pet" quality but I have 2 show dogs, 2 other purebreds, and a mutt and they are all loved equally. They're still pretty fish to have in a show tank, and all blow what is available locally away!

Eddie
05-20-2009, 09:11 AM
9 and 14 and the darker more pronounced bars (head and tail) are counted

Eddie

zn394
05-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Anyone else?

Eddie
05-22-2009, 08:07 AM
Anyone else?

There really isn't a whole lot of other options. Regardless of whatever "name" they may have been labeled with.

Eddie

pcsb23
05-22-2009, 08:12 AM
1,3 & 5 look like RT's to me too. I don't think they are brilliants, just don't look right. Always difficult assessing stunted fish too.

Pic 2 could be a cobalt as Eddie says, if it is still youngish then I'd guess at cobalt, if not a BT maybe. Pic 4 is a SS imo.

Pic 1 looks unwell too, it has white stringy faeces and looks stressed.

ShinShin
05-23-2009, 12:00 PM
zn,

Domestic discus can have bar counts from 4 to 18. I don't know the genetics behind this, but I've seen discus with these numbers. I've seen cobalts with 4 bars, and snakeskins with 18. I do not subscribe to the line of thought that SS's , for example, have to be 14 barred. Broken facial striations and pattern make a SS. The Degen's original domestic SS was 9 barred, and captured wild SS specimens that I have seen are also 9 barred. I've seen 14 barred SS's that looked like RT's, with no SS pattern whatsoever. Why woulkd one call this a SS? No pattern, but because it had 14 bars?

I am excluding barless strain discus with this statement, of course.

Mat

rickztahone
05-23-2009, 01:47 PM
..the breeder uses her own cute names (she calls these Aztec Envy)...

did you get these from Mary @ anglewings?

zn394
05-23-2009, 04:35 PM
Well, I know her name is Mary and she also does ceramics, but I'm not sure about the angelwings part.

I also should have realized that it can be difficult to ID juveniles, and that being stunted could make it difficult as well. I was mainly just curious because so many others seem to knw what strain they have and I know what strains of angelfish, rams, swordtails, etc I have. I also know enough to know that they are not what I was told by either supplier, and that unless they are crosses (likely from "Mary", not so much from Hans), then someone should be able to ID them. But perhaps I will have better luck waiting for them to grow out more correct?

rickztahone
05-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Well, I know her name is Mary and she also does ceramics, but I'm not sure about the angelwings part.

I also should have realized that it can be difficult to ID juveniles, and that being stunted could make it difficult as well. I was mainly just curious because so many others seem to knw what strain they have and I know what strains of angelfish, rams, swordtails, etc I have. I also know enough to know that they are not what I was told by either supplier, and that unless they are crosses (likely from "Mary", not so much from Hans), then someone should be able to ID them. But perhaps I will have better luck waiting for them to grow out more correct?
yeah thats Mary from angel wings. i had the same problem when i got a batch of 8 before i knew about SD. in my mind i blamed her for stunted fish but i have realized after all that i have learned here that i was the one that stunted them. out of the original 8 only 2 red melons are not stunted. read a lot here and you will be able to get nice healthy discus. she does have good discus but just like with any other breeder, if you do not give them what they need then they will get stunted. yours are past the point where they can grow to be some spectacular fish but they can still be great pets.

zn394
05-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Thank you. My thoughts exactly at this point. This also helps with my space problem for growing out my angelfish fry. I can move the discus to the 150 display tank and use the 55 for growing out angels.

Thanks for all the input. Before long I will get some quality discus and give the growing and breeding thing another shot. I have learned a tremendous amount with these first guys and will certainly learn much, much more as time goes by.

Jeff

zn394
05-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Well, I have my answers and all are identified by the man himself!

1 & 5 are Brilliants
2 is a Cobalt
3 is a Red scribble
4 is a Red snakeskin
and avatar image is a Flachen x Blue snakeskin.

Whew! :thumbsup:

Jeff

Eddie
05-27-2009, 08:06 PM
Hey, I got 2-4 right, do we win anything? LOL

I can see the first one could be a brilliant but 5 is definitely a red turq IMO.

All the best with them,

Eddie