PDA

View Full Version : Discus Ich

Crossfire636
05-21-2009, 04:33 PM
Hello everyone.
I am new to keeping discus. I have 7 juvi's (2 1/2 inch), 10 rummy nose and a BN pleco in a 55 gallon tank. The tank is lightly planted. I WC about 5 to 10 gallons everyday. Water params are:

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm

I woke up this morning and I always like to check out everyone to make sure everything is on order. I notice on 4 of the 7 discus there are about 4 to 5 white dots on there fins and body (each). They are very small. Smaller then grains of salt. None of the other fish are showing white spots. My temperature was at 84 degrees but I bumped it up to 88. I also added aquarium salt. I will be doing a 50% water change tonight

I know dicus are very sensitive. I know medication should be the last thing i try. Does anyone have any advice they can provide me. Thank you for your time.

Crossfire636
05-21-2009, 05:20 PM
okay I will. Would you know if Quick Cure is any good?

Crossfire636
05-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Sounds good. Thank you for the help. I am going to see if one more day of 88 and salt work. So far they have not gotten any worse. One of the discus lost a few spots. If it persist then i am going to pick up some quick cure. Once again, Thank you

Crossfire636
05-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Yeah, i can not add that much salt. Will temperature alone kill ich? I have rid ich but i am not to sure about it.

Roxanne
05-22-2009, 06:11 AM
High temperatures speed up the life cycle of ich....A Low ph ie 5.5 stops them growing altogether...detached swarmers can live for 48-55 hours without a host.....according to Schubert, there is reason to believe Ich can survive in an encapsulated form much like a flea, (my expression)to be awakened at a later time...this he says, would explain repeated infections...they can also go unnoticed on the fish until it seems there is a new full blown infection..or, if you fail to destroy the parasitic forms under the skin....often confused with Oodinium as far as symptoms go...do you want more?

Roxanne

Eddie
05-22-2009, 06:33 AM
Yeah, i can not add that much salt. Will temperature alone kill ich? I have rid ich but i am not to sure about it.

If its Kordon Rid ich+, that will do just fine. Its a formalin & Malachite green combo and it will knock out ich, along with other baddies.

You'll need to bring the temp down first, about 82F. Add extra air to the tank, simple airstone. Keep the tank lights off during treatment. Its a 3 day course. You'll be doing a 25% water change between doses.

Eddie

pcsb23
05-22-2009, 10:38 AM
Once u[pon a time high temp may have killed them off but that;'s no guarantee anymoreYep and once upon a time salt at relatively low doses worked too :( also no longer does.

Crossfire636
05-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Thank you everyone. I acutally have Wardley Ich Away. I thought it was rid ich (was at work) I checked the ingredients and it has Malachite green in it.
I have one question though.
The directions say for ich repeat regimen once every three days for three treatments.

At the end of each treatment do i change the water, or after 24 hours?
Once every three days for three treatments seems like a lot.

If you guys could chime in on what you think
I am thinking on only doing half dose for the treatment ( 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons)

Crossfire636
05-22-2009, 11:28 AM
I also have been treating them with general cure (yellow and stringy poop). Can i still treat them while they are on the ich away or should i stop for a few days?

Crossfire636
05-22-2009, 12:22 PM
I added three teaspoons of ich away. I thought my water would change color but its looks fine (might be my black background). I am going to change 25% water on Sunday and treat with three teaspoons again. Ill keep you guys/girls informed. Once again thank you for the help.

Crossfire636
05-23-2009, 12:20 PM
does ich usually get worse before it gets better?

Crossfire636
05-23-2009, 06:29 PM
I was using ick away. If i wanted to change to rid ich can i do a 25% water change and treat with rid ich? Or will it be an issue.

The reason being is i do not know how old the bottle of ich away is.

Thank you

Crossfire636
05-23-2009, 08:40 PM
k Thank you

Crossfire636
05-24-2009, 02:34 PM
update: Ich getting worse. I switched medication after a 25% water change thins morning (from ich away to rid ich). I can already tell it is going to do better. The ich away did not color the water at all. When i put the rid ich in my water changed immediately. I will let you guys know how things turn out tomorrow. Thank you