PDA

View Full Version : Question about qt.

mugzy213
05-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Hello, I was thinking about buying 4-5 discus to put in my 55 gal bb tank. I have 2 in there right now anyways I was wondering since I don't have a qt tank should I even bother buying discus?

Another question where does everyone buy there meds? Like PP, metro , and so on I never see them at any stores.

So when you QT the fish you give them meds even if there showing no sign of being sick?

Thanks

Hal

Cooldadddyfunk286
05-22-2009, 11:46 AM
well personally I wouldnt let a QT tank stop you from buying your 4-5 new discus and finish up stocking your 55 gal. You'll def. wanna QT for sure, but it would be worth it to spend a few extra bucks on a Q tank if youll get a full 55 gal tank and 4-5 new discus!! As far as I know you dont HAVE to medicate during QT if everything is fine, but some people will take preventative actions...de-worm, things like that I believe. especially the importers getting in a large stock. but I'm no expert :p:D just my 2 cents.

seanyuki
05-22-2009, 11:51 AM
buying pp go to Sears and other meds better shop online...a good site is drfoster & pets.....the discus need not have meds from the start in the qt tank....observe observe from the beginning.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/pet_supplies.cfm?c=3578+4615

cheers
francis:)

Roxanne
05-22-2009, 01:52 PM
Hal, :)mate:):), haven't you read through enough stories yet to see what can happen? :scared:Have you got some other large sized plastic container/box or something? QT doesn't have to be the traditional 'tank' as it were...just a thought

Roxanne

DonMD
05-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Hmmm,

Thinking about your question of qt, what's your investment in fish right now? You've got 2 fish, don't know what size. Say you spent $50.00 each, that's $100 you've paid. Then, you're thinking of buying 4 or 5 new fish. Say they also cost $50 each. That's $250 vs $100.

I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud. I've got 90 g right now with 8 big fish, and am QTing new rummynose for 4 weeks in a different tank. But, if you get some Metro, and perhaps PraziPro, and then buy your new fish, introduce correctly in the existing tank, and then treat as if all 7 were new fish? Run them all through a treatment of Metro, the rest, then PraziPro for flukes, maybe that's better than buying new tank, filters, stand, light, and cycling it

I think I better duck now . . .

Buying meds on line, I've had good luck with 4fishstuff, Big Al's, Jehmco. I've also bought meds from Rocky Mountain Discus.

Good luck!

mmorris
05-22-2009, 09:40 PM
You might want to check Craig's List or your local aquarium club for a quarantine tank. Ken's fish sells meds and he's a sponsor. I'd order from him because the service is really quick. But don't medicate unless you need to. :)

Eyecandy
05-23-2009, 06:49 PM
Hi there... As has been said, you don't need another aquarium for a qt tank but you should always qt new additions. I use rubbermaid food safe plastic containers with lids.. They are about 15 gallons and fairly inexpensive and easy to store when not in use. All you need is a heater and sponge filter.. I use either the room lights or a clip on light and like to put either some floating plants or a piece of dw in the tank.. That's it.. I qt for 4 weeks.. whether it's new discus or new rummys or whatever.. but don't treat with any meds unless there is a problem. The qt not only helps you see if the new fish have any diseases but is the best way for the fish to get used to you and your water etc with the least amount of stress before being put into your main established tank.. Good luck with your tank and get some more discus .. 2 is a bad number to have unless they are a mated pair... HTH Sue:D

YSS
05-23-2009, 09:14 PM
If you are buying two discuss and adding to a tank with 4 or 5, then QT is a safe way to go, but since you are buying 4 or 5 discus and adding to a tank with 2 discus, I would just add them and see what happens as long as you get the fish from a reliable source. But that's just me.

Eddie
05-23-2009, 09:56 PM
If you are buying two discuss and adding to a tank with 4 or 5, then QT is a safe way to go, but since you are buying 4 or 5 discus and adding to a tank with 2 discus, I would just add them and see what happens as long as you get the fish from a reliable source. But that's just me.

That is some risky business. There are several threads going on right now in the disease/medication section where fish are being lost due to contamination from one tank to another. Going head on with that risk is not advised. If you the person is fine with losing all the fish, that sounds like a feasible plan.

Eddie

mugzy213
05-26-2009, 06:34 PM
Hal, :)mate:):), haven't you read through enough stories yet to see what can happen? :scared:Have you got some other large sized plastic container/box or something? QT doesn't have to be the traditional 'tank' as it were...just a thought

Roxanne

thanks Rox!:) thats a good idea about just using a plastic container!