PDA

View Full Version : Discus from Low pH to High ph. Kindly advice...

Sandip
05-24-2009, 06:24 AM
I am planning to get around 10 juvenile(1.5" standard) discus from a renowned discus breeder.
After getting everything ready and the tank properly cycled, I am in a dilemma. Its about the pH of the water.
The water at my breeder's place is slightly acidic, with pH around 6.5
Where as my water pH is lot higher, with the value being slightly more than 8!!!

I know discus prefer acidic water, but I am against altering of the water pH level. And moreover I have seen people in my home town grow discus at a pH of 8.5!!

My question here is, will i be able to grow discus which are born in acidic(6.5 pH) water and have spent first 2-3 months in the same water? Will they be able to grow to their full potential if i try to raise them in water of pH 8?
Will there be any other issue?

kindly help me with your advice.

Jhhnn
05-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Not that I'm any kind of an authority, but the discus should grow fine in your tap water. Breeding is likely another matter entirely.

Making the transition is the most important part, so you might want to temporarily alter your tank water to more closely match that of the breeder's, avoiding pH shock, reducing trauma, then gradually change to new parameters w/ water changes...

Sandip
05-25-2009, 04:19 AM
Thank you Jhhnn...

Would like to hear other's advice too...

DiscusKeeper403
05-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Although 8.5 is pretty high I agree. Should be alright but as the above said, a very slow acclimation will be needed.

discusjoe27
05-27-2009, 02:49 AM
every discus is differenty yesterday. I saw some wild caught green discus.
that where nearly full grown.I would say 5.5+ they where in 7.8 arlington tap water. so I guess it can be done.

Don Trinko
05-27-2009, 08:28 AM
How long will the discus be "in the bag"? If they are being shipped by Fedx or UPS most ussualy just get the temp the same and do an emediate transfer. The ph shock is thought to be better than the ammonia problem when you open the bag.
If it is only a short trip via your vehicle the proceedure is normaly to aclimate them by various methods. ( drip, adding water from your tank to the bag slowly etc) A .5 ph change in the upward direction is no problem but I'm not sure if 1.5 is or not. Discus can take a shock to a higher ph much better than going to a lower ph. All of this IMO; Don T.