PDA

View Full Version : I need some advise

Blackwater Aquaria
05-24-2009, 08:20 PM
This morning while checkig on all my discus as I do everyday I noticed one of my 4.5 inch juvie had an extended abdomin,in the past when I had this problem some I saved and some I did not. I dont want to loose this discus he is still active going after food but not eating. The discus needs some help from the forum body. Any advise I will be greatful. The discus is now in a 10 gal hospital tank. Thanks Mike D. BWA:bandana:

Eddie
05-24-2009, 08:44 PM
Hey there Mike, sorry to hear the news. I'd like to help but I am not 100% sure I know what you mean by "extended abdomen". Did a couple preliminary searches but couldn't find anything. :(

Eddie

pcsb23
05-25-2009, 06:38 AM
Mike, I'm guessing that the abdomen is swollen, but not typical of bloat?

Have you treated for anything lately especially for worms? How do it's eyes look? clear and bright or dull maybe with specs in?

Have you changed anything in their diet? Any live foods?

Blackwater Aquaria
05-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Mike, I'm guessing that the abdomen is swollen, but not typical of bloat?

Have you treated for anything lately especially for worms? How do it's eyes look? clear and bright or dull maybe with specs in?

Have you changed anything in their diet? Any live foods?

I do the same thing every day the water is fine and this discus has been in the same tank for a month. I feed them on a regular basis, I have not feed him any live food in a couple ofweeks. Today he has a small amount of stuff.hanging it is not white matter it has a normal color. Do you think I should treat him for worms, and what product you think I should use. Thanks for your reply. Mike D. BWA:bandana:

ShinShin
05-25-2009, 12:15 PM
What live foods have you fed him? I see Paul's thinking here, and agree with the possibility of internal worms. I use levamisole for nematodes, but agree with Wattley's garlic method, but it must be done correctly. Another thought here, if nematodes aren't the answer is that 1 of 2 other possibilities exist. Tapeworms can pack a discus' gut full. Usually discus will devour food when infested with tapeworms, but it may be too packed. In this case, though, I would suspect that you would see worms exiting the fish because they would need nurishment and leave a nonfeeding fish. The other is an internal bacterial infection is occurring, causing a fluid build-up in the abdominal cavity.

I would check a fecal sample for worms or eggs.

Mat

brewmaster15
05-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Hey Mike,
Have you tried epsom salt? Does the fish swim normal? Are the eyes at all buggy or bulging?

-al

pcsb23
05-27-2009, 09:38 AM
Hi Mike, how are they doing? If you could examine a sample under a scope it could help to determine what we are dealing with. Treating with epsom salts like brew says won't do any harm at all and could fix it, either way it will help them to purge themselves.

I'd be reluctant to treat for worms unless I suspected them, but guesswork suggests nematodes (and it is guesswork).