PDA

View Full Version : dark face and tail, wont eat either.

Patr1ck
05-25-2009, 03:06 AM
Hello everybody. I have a fish that might be getting sick. He didnt eat today and his face and tail are dark. Before today, he wasnt eating as much as usual. Everyone else in his tank are doing well. Any ideas?

Thanks guys,
Pat

Eddie
05-25-2009, 05:49 AM
Hey there Pat, I'd try to up the heat and try to feed FBWs. If the fish still isn't consuming food, you may need to got with a metro treatment in a QT tank.

Wishing you best of luck,

Eddie

PS. PM me if you have any questions. ;)

seanyuki
05-25-2009, 06:22 AM
Hi Pat,

What kind of discus?....pictures always helps perhaps could be the condition of the water too.

Cheers
Francis:)

Roxanne
05-25-2009, 08:17 PM
.. He didnt eat today and his face and tail are dark. Before today, he wasnt eating as much as usual...
Pat

Hi Pat:)

just curious, if you don't mind me asking...when you say dark, can you still see pigment in those areas?...and are there any swellings on his body anywhere that you can see?

Roxanne

Patr1ck
05-26-2009, 01:00 AM
No swellings and yes there is pigment it is just really dark on his head and tail. But today I came home and noticed him and his mate guarding some eggs.:) They breed about every 10 days but he has never acted or looked this way before usually its the female that doesnt eat.:confused:

Thanks,
Pat

Eddie
05-26-2009, 01:20 AM
No swellings and yes there is pigment it is just really dark on his head and tail. But today I came home and noticed him and his mate guarding some eggs.:) They breed about every 10 days but he has never acted or looked this way before usually its the female that doesnt eat.:confused:

Thanks,
Pat

Do you feed CBWs?

Eddie

Patr1ck
05-26-2009, 01:43 AM
Do you feed CBWs?

Eddie

Nope. What were you thinking though? I only feed FBW, FBS, and your mix.

Pat

Eddie
05-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Hey Pat, I was thinking maybe a bad bit of worms. Can you get some photos of the fish?

Eddie

Patr1ck
05-29-2009, 12:43 PM
Cant get any good pics of him yet. But the blue lines he used to have in his face have all faded to brown. Also last night (they have finished up this breeding session) I noticed some slime coat hanging off of him. The other 3 discus in the tank are fine.:confused:

Pat

Patr1ck
05-30-2009, 01:36 AM
His eyes are also cloudy. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Pat

Patr1ck
06-16-2009, 04:26 AM
He also jerks his head to the side on average about twice in 5 mins. I hope this helps in describing his symptoms better.

Eddie
06-16-2009, 07:26 AM
He also jerks his head to the side on average about twice in 5 mins. I hope this helps in describing his symptoms better.

This can be from an external irritation. If only one fish is doing it, I would not lean towards water. Have you tried any type of external parasite meds? I don't want to point you in that direction without first taking care of the easy stuff. Have tried upping the water changes and feeding a more well rounded diet for vitamin intake?

Eddie

Patr1ck
06-16-2009, 02:43 PM
This can be from an external irritation. If only one fish is doing it, I would not lean towards water. Have you tried any type of external parasite meds? I don't want to point you in that direction without first taking care of the easy stuff. Have tried upping the water changes and feeding a more well rounded diet for vitamin intake?

Eddie

Yep, so far he has been treated with formalin (but only for 2 days) and Erythromycin. I have some PP on order. He gets brine shrimp, tetra color bits, and ON prime reef flake as these are the only things that he eats any more and when he does eat, its very little. Ive been following the medications directions with water changes, but normally its 90% every other day. I cant wc every day as I have 2 other tanks and a water barrel thats too small.
Thanks, Eddie

Pat

Eddie
06-16-2009, 10:30 PM
So the fish is off food as well? Hmmmm....hard to say Pat.

Eddie

Patr1ck
06-17-2009, 02:41 AM
He has recently eaten and pooed a bunch of color bits and they all seem normal looking, so thats good. One time a couple days ago his poo had color bits inside of a white casing. Is that signs of hex? What are signs of this kidney disorder that Ive read about before?

Thanks,
Pat

Eddie
06-17-2009, 05:13 AM
He has recently eaten and pooed a bunch of color bits and they all seem normal looking, so thats good. One time a couple days ago his poo had color bits inside of a white casing. Is that signs of hex? What are signs of this kidney disorder that Ive read about before?

Thanks,
Pat

Have you tried levimasole or another dewormer?

Eddie

Patr1ck
06-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Have you tried levimasole or another dewormer?

Eddie

Yeah, that was the first thing I used. I forgot to mention it earlier.

Thanks,
Pat